Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 2:17:44 PM EDT
I have a S&W 6906 and am looking to pick up several spare mags. Are the Mecgar mags any good? Someone told me that Mecgar makes the factory magazines for S&W, is this correct?
What other series of Smith mags will work in the 6906?

Thanks for the help

Smitty
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Mec-Gar makes some OEM & gov't contract mags (most notably for Berettas & SIGs), but I've never heard that they make them for S&W. (Not saying it isn't so - just that I've owned S&W autos for years and never heard that.)

I have used Mec-Gar mags in "59-series" S&Ws without incident, but I've never personally used them in any of our "69-series" pistols.

Believe it or not (many won't), the Ram-Line extra-capacity mags (the ones with the "constant-force spring") for the 69-series S&Ws work very reliably in my experience - I have several and have used them quite a bit over the years in a 6946 and a pair of 469s (my wife's).  Unfortunately, I believe they have been out of production for some time.

I wouldn't hesitate to try Mec-Gars in your S&W, even if it turns out they aren't OEM suppliers.  In my experience, the S&W autos are a little more "forgiving" of aftermarket magazines than many other pistol designs (again, I've had/still have a bunch of them).
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Smitty,

If you are still wondering, don't.  MecGar makes some of the best magazines out there, and are the OEM manufacturer for most European gun makers.  I use MecGars in my S&W 5903 and they work flawlessley (better, in fact, than the factory magazines).  Buy 'em on-line at one of the distributors and save quite a bit over the S&W factory magazine prices.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help fellas, I think I'll try a couple of the MecGars out.

Smitty
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I also use those mags.  I have a Daewoo 9mm that is similar and modeled after the S&W 5900 series I am told.  I have used Daewoo mags, S&W5900 series mags, and MecGar and they all work great for me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I know that they make the S&W 99 mag as well as the walther P99 mag I have used them in my sigs and and 1911 and they work fine
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top