Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2002 5:21:18 PM EDT
while I was down in Texas. It sure was fun. This old pistol is 82 years old now and I admit I was somewhat afraid to pull the trigger the first time. But as the outline of the head rapidly dissappeared, I grew a little more confident.

So here's the report. The trigger was classic Smith, smooth as ball bearings on glass. And once I got used to the sights, it was right on POA. The shaft on the clynder shook loose after a few runs and was hard to open. A quick twist of the knob on the end and the problem went away.

The tiny grip took some getting used to until I realized that you need to shoot it like an old SA, let it rock in your hand and come back on target. Once I stopped trying to hold the grip the way I would a modern target grip, the smile on my face took up three lanes.

I guess I'll pack her up and put her away for awhile, but I sure do intend to bring her out for a rousing 100th birtday.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn`t that ammo box say.."use only in modern guns that are in good condition"..?.......(kidding.....kidding)........
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#2]
good to see im not the only fella here that has a weakness for 4 screw smiths.

Ive got one of these beauties myself. 4 digit serial number, made in april of 1917 all original non imported complete with "united states property" under the barrel.

she was in bad enough shape about 50% when i bought her .
I didnt feel guilty about restoring her to her former original glory re-case colored and all.
if i get the time ill snap a pic and post it.

I even came across a small lot of 1917 manufactured 45 acp ball ammo. I thought it was only fitting that i fire em in the old 1917.

if you want to see that old girl sing find yourself some 185 grain jacketed semi wad cutters.

Link Posted: 8/10/2002 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Didn`t that ammo box say.."use only in modern guns that are in good condition"..?.......(kidding.....kidding)........

Yeah, I think I did see something about that. Good thing I didn't look until after I'd shot that day because I also let the 1909 Colt New Service have some lane time too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top