Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2015 9:56:32 PM EDT
It has been a while since I shot my shield which is my carry gun so when I went out to the range today I decided to practice with it and at 10-12 yards (closest this range has) I am aiming dead center but hitting 3-4 inches right every time.  I tried different grips and different finger positions (I'm also left handed) nothing changed it. tried shooting right handed but it was so erratic I couldnt group. left handed it had a nice group just 4 inches from point of aim.  

Am I pushing the gun right or does the sight need to be adjusted? if its the sight how do I do that?

My other thought was to send it into S&W and have them replace the front sight because the white dot fell out after the second magazine when i first bought it two years ago
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Get someone else to shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Borrowed with the help of the google machine  

I concur with the above poster - It is possible your sights need to be adjusted, but it's pretty common in situations like this to find that it's a trigger control/grip issue. 9 times out of 10 that's the case.
Either way, it's best to rule it out as much as you can, before going through the pain of smacking around the sights.

If you can? Try to get another shooter, ideally a good one , not saying that you aren't, we can't tell your skill through the screen here - see if you have a buddy that practices/shoots all the time, if he's getting the issue too. If he is, might indeed be the gun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#3]
With the Shield you may find your accuracy improves if you put more finger through the trigger guard so that you're firing with your knuckle crease instead of the pad of your finger (if that's what you've been doing).

Link Posted: 10/31/2015 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been neglecting my pistol training in favor of my ARs. Time to pick up a brick of 9 and spend a few hours at the indoor range.  I had to do this with my glock years ago to find my best hold
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:49:21 AM EDT
[#5]
What would you do if your AR shot 36" to the right?  Bingo, you got it.  Adjust the sight.

If you are making nice groups with your natural hold, but 4" to the right, quit the BS contortions.  Move or have moved the front sight to the right 0.05".  That will center the group.  The rear sight in a Shield is not usually meant to be moved.

I note that 4" at 11 yards is a lot of error to the right.  A nice group that close is 2"-3" rested.  Be sure you aren't yanking them right.  Shoot it off a sitting rest.  Then get it adjusted.

Save the shipping hassle.  Put some white fingernail polish into the sight hole.  All three need it anyhow to ge useful.  See the bottom of this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/162813_Glock_19_and_SandW_Shield_9mm___Use_and_Shooting_Comparison___Shield_Rear_Sight_Info_for_DIY.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top