Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 7:53:02 PM EDT
I have been looking at Highway Patrolman .357's, and I noticed the following, and I can't figure if the difference is barrel (shorter) or the shroud is longer.
I need an older Smith expert here to tell me your thoughts:

"Short"

Longer:

I am interested in finding the "shorter" example because to me it is just one of the finest looking S&W designs ever made

Further, history?  Can this thing have taken a steady diet of Magnums today (meaning if I buy one on Gubroker" do I really need to know if it was shot loose)?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
it likely isnt the strength of a 357 magnum load that makes it shoot loose.

it is whether it was shot a lot in double action.   look for peening of cylinder bolt stop notches for idea of if it may be falling out of time or been abused.

I have an old 38/44 Outdoorsman that was shot a lot double action but it still is accurate as hell.

the speed of the rotating cylinder coming to a sudden halt is what beats on them.  Cylinders of 38/357 NFrames have more mass to them and it has been argued that is part of the reason Nframe 357s loosen up.

I had an s-prefix 60s era Model 28 that was pristine until I shot some lame assed high velocity blue dot loads through it.   Hello flame cutting of top strap and forcing cone.

Use medium to heavier weight 357 Mag loads at reasonable modern pressures and the gun will last you a life time.

Barrel difference is likely 3.5 inch versus 4inch.   Shroud looks the same but could be a slight variation between an earlier gun and an older gun.

I have a 70s era 27-2 4inch that is a more pronounced barrel.   My 28 was a 6 inch so cannot help there.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:01:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there any model I should look for?  All show 4 inches listed, and it seems pretty random?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess one more time?  Anybody?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 8:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
S & W revolvers barrels can vary due to tolerances, barrel crowns, etc.  This variation is usually 1/8 inch or less, yours looks like more than that. What are the measurements of these two barrels?

I'd have a knowledgable gunsmith or S&W collector look at it to determine if it's been reworked.

No worries about shooting a sound Model 28, they are among the strongest 357's ever built.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
S & W revolvers barrels can vary due to tolerances, barrel crowns, etc.  This variation is usually 1/8 inch or less, yours looks like more than that. What are the measurements of these two barrels?
I'd have a knowledgable gunsmith or S&W collector look at it to determine if it's been reworked.
No worries about shooting a sound Model 28, they are among the strongest 357's ever built.
View Quote

Don't know, just found those two to compare on Gunbroker.  I prefer the truncated look of the shorter one, which I believe is 3.5 inches but everyone calls it a 4?

If I could find a truncated one for a good price/condition, I would buy one.  It is just I don't know exactly what I am searching for.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't know, just found those two to compare on Gunbroker.  I prefer the truncated look of the shorter one, which I believe is 3.5 inches but everyone calls it a 4?

If I could find a truncated one for a good price/condition, I would buy one.  It is just I don't know exactly what I am searching for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're both nominally 4" barrels.  The Highway Patrolman didn't come with a 3.5" barrel.  The 3.5" barrel was available on the Model 27, but it stops at the end of the ejector rod housing.  Revolver barrels are measured from the front of the cylinder.  Many measure from the frame and come up short.

The Highway Patrolman/Model 28 was the less expensive version of the Model 27.  It was aimed at the police market and cut some costs by not bothering with some cosmetics, like high gloss blue, and checkered top strap.  Mechanically, they are identical and of the same high quality of the 27.  

S&W centers the barrel stamping.  So it's obvious if one was a 6" cut down.  Both barrels were made the way they sit from the factory.

As noted, there's some slight variation in length.  The Model 28 also got a slightly shorter cylinder in the early 80's.  Because the barrel has to be set a certain distance from the cylinder face, they are set farther back in the frame.  The distance isn't much, but added to any other production variations, and you probably end up with one that is a tad shorter.

The two guns that you're looking at are plain Jane Highway Patrolman/Model 28's with 4" (nominally) barrels.  Good eye catching the slight variation.

If you want a true 3.5", you need to look for a Model 27 in that length.  Be aware they are in high demand and pricing reflects this.  You pay alot for a half inch less.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you, that explains everything.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
A couple of comparison pics for you.

3.5 inch pre model 27 (pre 1957), this one has been hard chromed

4 inch Model 28, with later model grips

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top