Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2002 12:33:20 PM EDT
I have always liked the feel of the S&W auto. Has anyone got any experience with the dao full size 9mm Smith?
Lebrew
Link Posted: 5/15/2002 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the 59's a lot. They are built like a tank, can take any abuse, hicap mags are readily available and cheap. they are reliable and accurate. About the only downside is that they are heavy. Even the alloy models would be considered overweight by today's standards.
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I had the DAO compact 3956 (I think that was the number).  It blew.  Everything that I didn't like about it had everything to do with the trigger.  The rest of the gun was fine, but the trigger pull was with worst.  The idea is to basically give you a revolver, and that's fine, but the trigger pull itself is diefferent than a revolver and I find a wheel-gun DA trigger pull to be far easier than the DAO Smith.  The DAO Smith pull is lighter and shorter than the DA pull on a DA/SA SW but I found accuracy to suffer enough that I just didn't like it.  I eventually figured if I had to practice enough to get decent with the DAO pull, I'd have practiced enough to be good with the DA/SA transition and have better accuracy.  

The steel frame full size SW is a pretty good auto at usually a pretty good price.  With the heavier frame, recoil was non-existant and mags are dirt cheap.  Being stainless is a bonus in any wet climate.  The gun is fine, but I would say you need to thouroughly try out a DAO before you sink your money into one.  Remember the DA pull on a DAO is different than on a DA/SA so you can't compare unless you try out a DAO.  Used DAO's usually cost less on the market than DA/SA, but it also means they are pretty hard to resell if you decide to get rid of it.  If it's your type of gun, then it's great news for you, but make sure you try one out first.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/16/2002 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have always liked the feel of the S&W auto. Has anyone got any experience with the dao full size 9mm Smith?
Lebrew

I have a 915 and I LOVE itit is VERY reliable
Link Posted: 5/26/2002 1:24:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top