Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2013 6:54:42 AM EDT
May, 2012 a buddy showed up at the club-range with a Smith & Wesson model 39-2. Nickle plated with original wood grips it was gorgeous. I'm not much into nickel chrome autos but this one I liked alot! I wrapped my strong hand around her vivacious curved grip and it felt good. In some ways, the angles I think, reminded me of a 1911. Although thinner, the grip comfortably and securely sunk into the palm of my strong hand much like a CZ75.
I immediately began researching the 39 and pricing and found the difference between the 39 and 39-2. Its the 39-2 I am interested in here....
Regularly checking GunBroker I found there are usually anywhere from 2 to 10 up for auction with 1, 2 or none in nickel. Prices range from $300 for the shot'alot holster worn examples to $800 for the best 39-2.

My 1st 39-2 in blue came via GB. Auction pics were blurry but the description indicated "shot little to not at all, no holster wear". Probably becuz the pics were so bad there were no bids. Opening bid was $500. I checked the sellers Feedback that indicated items were often "Better than described" and ZERO negatives.
With that info, I bid $505 and won it for $500 + $30 shipping. It had no magazine and no box. It was in perfect condition, obviously unfired outside of the factory...but I put 60 rounds thru it. If no gun is 100%  then this 39 is at least 95% maybe 99% condition.

2nd 39-2 via GB in blue was a $300 shot a lot, holster worn and probably spent 20 years on the side of a dedicated LEO. It fired but about every 7 th round would not extract which is an ez fix. Upon disassembly and close inspection I found a hair line crack where the feed ramp meets the chamber = Junk.

My 3rd 39-2 via GB in blue was what I wanted ie. Real perdy in excellent condition, minimal holster wear, came with original box and paperwork, price $500. Havn't shot it yet.
I like these guns and want to get the next model with a double stack magazine and the same bobbed type main spring housing area. Maybe someone here knows what model that is?

I am aware of but not interested in the 39's history in Vietnam and with the  ILLinois State Police as well as specialty models ie ASP.

Any comments on using the 39-2 as a CCW?      

Thanks For Reading
 VonBark.

Edit to increase font size so I can see it
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Have owned by 39-2 for twenty years or more.  Fits my hand better than anything I own.  I've thought about looking for a 439 or 639 for some years, but those just aren't around.  At least not at a price I want to pay.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#2]
great guns for sure.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:43:17 PM EDT
[#3]
love the Model 39's!

Near perfect grip angle/design with perfect palm swell. Not many handguns fit my hand as well as the 39's do . About the only other grip angle design that works as well to me is the Remington M51.
I would like to get one of the  military dust covers. I wonder where to find one?
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Have been thinking a 39 might make a good companion for my 3913.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an excellent 39-2, I picked up for just $295 + tax at a local shop.  The owner gave me a decent price as I buy most of his smith & wesson guns ASAP.  It could be a good CCW if you don't mind the size and shape for carry.  BUT at this point your taking a decent heirloom grade gun and putting a lot of carry wear on it. It will not appreciate as fast when it gets worn.  Overall It was designed as a duty gun for open holster carry to replace DA revolvers of the day and not the best choice for CCW

It is an Excellent gun.  Never had a problem with it and love its quality fit and finish.

For carry a S&W 908 might be a little better or S&W Shield.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
The next model with Double Stack magazine is the model 59.  The double stack with bobbed hammer is the 469, the original 469 came with a pebble grain grip, a yellow line on the front sight and a white outline rear sight.  A friend had a nickel 59 which was a fantastic shooter which I always wanted to buy.   I have a 39-2 which was my first police pistol.  I also carried a 439, 6904 and a 5904 before transitioning to Glocks.

One thing to remember on the model 39,  there is no firing pin block and has an inertia firing pin.   The model 39 can fire if dropped on the muzzle with the safety off.  The later generation S&W (439/3904) incorporate the firing pin block.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#7]
SoCal Gun in San diego had a 39 and a Victory model .38 that belonged to a high ranking navy vet.

The model 39 brings back memories, since a close friend of my dad had one when I was a kid, back in the 70s.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top