Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2013 4:37:20 PM EDT
looking at trading my pre mim smith 640 38 spl. for a 9mm shield. I will have to give some cash. bad idea or trade it in?
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep the 640 or sell it outright for cash, you'll come out better that way.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:35:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I would rather have a 640 any day
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
You will miss the 640.  Not a good trade, especially if you have to pay more $$.  Shield overrated.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd keep the 640 and I love my wife's shield.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 7:01:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I would not make that trade.
The 640 has a higher $ value than the Shield.
I carry an old 640 on my ankle every day. I know from experience it is reliable and will always go Bang if needed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:02:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I got my wife the 640 but I cant do magnums out of it.  Just destroys my hand after like 10 rounds.  I have mine on armslist right now.  I want to try to avoid an ffl and just do a face to face deal but armslist isnt exactly an ideal way to do business
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:31:33 AM EDT
[#8]
First of all if you take a perfectly good used gun and trade it on a brand new gun you take a big hit in the wallet. No disrespect to the gunstores
but that is how they make their money.

If you are determined to get out of the revolver and into the shield wait a while for the shield demand to drop. Sell your revolver private and then take the money and search out a used shield. That way you are trading the value on one used gun for the value of another used gun.
By going to a dealer the he is making the profit on two transactions out of your wallet and you are also taking the hit for turning a new gun into a used gun

I also think that if you drop the revolver and get into the shield you will regret it somewhere down the line . The proper way to judge what will work best for you is to own both the guns at the same time . Somewhere down the line you might decide to get rid of one of them
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:19:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd keep the 640.

I'd probably keep it even if the other guy was offering to bring cash.  Nothing wrong with the Shield but I think the 640 is a better pocket gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top