Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2013 1:03:51 PM EDT
Has anyone used a lighter 13lb. recoil unit  instead of the factory 16lb unit. Speed Shooters sell a recoil rod that you can fit with any of their recoil springs and have a one piece unit like stock. When using lite target loads the gun will cycle fine until it gets dirty (say 100+ rounds) then it stovepipes or just does not eject. Otherwise it shoots great. Gun has over 1k rounds thru it (also has apex comp kit).....
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The 9mm Pro I use for 3 gun has a tungsten guide rod and 13lb recoil spring. Runs fine with factory loads.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
buy a Glock 17 13# spring off of ebay for $9. take apart the factory rod and install it and you are GTG. no need to buy a new recoil rod
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:06:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, how do you take apart the factory 'captive guide rod spring combo' ? it seems to be under lots of tension.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, how do you take apart the factory 'captive guide rod spring combo' ? it seems to be under lots of tension.
View Quote

take a pair of vise grips. use fingers to push the spring down to get the force off of the front nut. put vise grip between the nut and spring.Makesure vise grip are clamped tight and wear safety glasses!!!!

unscrew bolt and slowly release the tension on spring. put new spring on a do opposite.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I have tried 13lb springs in a few longslides...I do not recommend it.  The slides had a tendency to come out of battery (and these springs were not worn out at all).  Stick to the factory recoil guide rod and save your money.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:27:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used 13 and 12lb spring before on other guns, I am not sure what 'coming out of battery' means, this is a 5" gun.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have tried 13lb springs in a few longslides...I do not recommend it.  The slides had a tendency to come out of battery (and these springs were not worn out at all).  Stick to the factory recoil guide rod and save your money.
View Quote

I use a 13# in my 5" 40 pro with major loads with no problem.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have used 13 and 12lb spring before on other guns, I am not sure what 'coming out of battery' means, this is a 5" gun.
View Quote

It means when you drop to prone/kneeling or jar the gun or shake the gun vigorously, it will come out of battery.  I have replicated this on the 9Ls and 9mm 5" Pros multiple times (utilizing the extended recoil rods).    15lb springs were able to keep the slide in battery upon any abrupt jarring.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top