Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2012 1:00:01 PM EDT
Hey guys.  I have an m&p9c and some of the factory coating on the slide has come off from holstering and unholstering, and I can see the stainless steel.  Is it possible to get the factory coating redone?  Also, there is a custom gunsmith shop like a mile from my house and they will refinish the slide in cerakote for $65.  Is cerakote any good?

Thanks for the help!

New Question:

The local guys offer PVD coating from ionbond as well for $75 dollars.  I just emailed them to ask if they can do the flat dark earth color.   That is the one that comes on the VTAC m&p guns.  Anyone know about this coating?  I love the look of the FDE and kind of really want to do that now
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Cerakote is good stuff but there is a guy who will put the factory coating back on (Melonite) for $80. Top notch stuff from Doug.  http://www.ateiguns.com/
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Cerakote is good stuff but there is a guy who will put the factory coating back on (Melonite) for $80. Top notch stuff from Doug.  http://www.ateiguns.com/

Ok cool, so here is my next question: is the cerakote < melonite?  If it is, how should I save the money (shipping + $15 difference in base price) and cerakote it or should i pay the premium and get the melonite?  
1 consideration: I will keep wearing off the finish as I continue to carry the gun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Melonite is a process where they take the parts to be coated and dipped into hot hot baths of liquid.

Cerakote is a ceramic based paint that is sprayed topically.

Melonite IMO should be a stronger finish.  I carry my M&P9c in a Raven Concealment holster everyday and my slide still looks like new.  If I were you, I would call up S&W and tell them that your finish is coming off prematurely and they might refinish it for you for free.  The worse they could say is no.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the information.  I wish the local guy could do the melonite.  That would be the best of both worlds.  I guess I will save my pennies and ship off the slide for refinishing one day.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 7:23:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I used a little clp on my slide and worked my kydex a little to help resolve the wear issue. If mine gets bad I'll probably media blast it down to the stainless and have a bi-tone M&P. (Assuming I can do that) If the melonite is wearing off, the cerakote will wear off faster.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Bumped for new quesiton
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top