Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2011 5:35:32 AM EDT
How did it go? How long ago did you switch, or supplement with an m&p and how do you feel about it now?

My cc is a g27 and my old two gun pistol is a police trade in second gen g22.

I want to pick up an m&p40 but icant seem to press the checkout button

AAR: WOW!

I really like the m&p line now! Coming from a gen 2 glock police trade in this is a huge difference.

First thing I did when got it home was remove the magazine safety through a tutorial online. I replaced the stock spring with a little stiffer spring from an LPK and worked like a charm.

I was knocking down steel targets at 15 and 20 yards with no problem. The tapered top of the grip under the rear slide is just great for my weild, and for some reason the smallest grip strap allows my support hand to wrap around much nicer and place my support pointer finger in just the right place front of the trigger guard.

All around an awesome time with it at a match this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 6:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I went from a G19 to an M&P9c 6 months or so ago.

Very happy I switched. Glocks are great but the M&P is better for me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I went from a Gen 3 G22 to an M&P40 about a year ago.  The M&P just feels right in the hand, and I shoot considerably better with it.  No complaints.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I went from a G19 to an M&P9c 6 months or so ago.

Very happy I switched. Glocks are great but the M&P is better for me.

This, except, from Glock 17, to M&P9, about 18 months ago.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#5]
My current off duty is my G19 RTF2.  I planned on switching to my G26 EXO when we re-qualify this fall.  Two weeks ago I found a great price on a NIB MP40c and had to get it.  I've now got about 300 rounds thru it with 0 problems.  Im only slightly more accurate with my Glocks, but thats due to having them as issued  weapons for the last 10 years.  The M&P feels great in my hands, and the recoil is less than my issued G27.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Glock to M&P a year ago.

Transition was smooth.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:37:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought an M&P 9mm shortly after they came out. 2 days later I sold my G17 and have never looked back.  I can shoot the M&P far better than I can any Glock, and that was the bottom line for me.

Link Posted: 8/8/2011 9:41:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Grip angle was the key for me.  The M&P is much closer to my 1911s which I shoot the most.  I always found myself taking a split second longer to pick up the front sight on my glocks.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#9]
G26 or M&P (both 9mm) are my carry pistols. Like'em both.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I moved from a G22/17 to an M&P9 18 months ago.

The thing I like most about the M&P is the grip, which is much nicer in the hand and points more naturally for me (I'm a long-time 1911 guy). When switching from my Glock, the grip angle was the same because I had already modified the grip of my Glock to mimic the 1911. If you shoot an unaltered Glock today, then the M&P will point low for you for a while. Do not expect to be able to switch back and forth... you need to choose one or the other and commit to it 100%.

The M&P sights, recoil, accuracy etc. are all as good or better than the Glock IMHO. I had some extraction/ejection problems once in a blue moon, but they went away when I replaced the stock extractor with an Apex unit.

The thing I liked least about the M&P was the trigger. The stock trigger pull is pretty piss poor, so you need to budget for an Apex DCAEK. Even then, the trigger is not as smooth as a well worn Glock with 3.5lb connector (my preferred Glock setup).

Overall, I find that I shoot better scores in USPSA and 3-gun matches when I am running the M&P than with the Glock, so for me that is the final arbiter.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Went from a Glock 17OD frame to an M&P9 in 2006 and haven't looked back. Mine was one with the bad surface treating so it started to rust, I coated it in black Moly Resin and called it a day and it's been going strong as my daily carry ever since. I stippled the frame and added night sights. I've run thousands upon thousands of rounds through it and it just keeps going.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I purchased an m&p40 full size with thumb safety, which I may or may not remove.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I went from a gen 4 17 & 26, to a M&P 9mm 5"pro, then traded my 26 for a M&P 40c, then sold the 17 to buy a M&P 45 fullsize. That was all in about a 2 month period. It started about 2 months ago when I tried an instructors 40 fullsize. I was hooked instantly. Shot better, and it felt amazing to me. Absolutely no regrets!! Now I want a M&P 45 compact next.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I've got Tupperware from Glock, FN, HK, Steyr, and S&W.  All of them are very nice, and I'm not getting rid of any of them, but the M&P's are my favorites.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I haven't transitioned but I have both. I still use my Glocks more because at this point I shoot them better. I like my M&P9 but I just can't shoot it as well as the Glocks, that may change with time and experience though. I'm planning to add a M&P45 so we'll see how that goes.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I like the M&P more due to my meaty mitts. The webbing of my hand would sometimes catch the slide on a Glock but the M&P has a longer tang to prevent this and gives me a higher/more comfortable hold. Both are quality pistols and are tough enough to last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I found a used one at buds for 399 earlier this week with two mags and case, I'm assuming that's a good deal.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I like both pistols but even after owning and shooting glocks for the last 15 years or so after a few trips to the range with my new M&P I could shoot it better than a glock. It points as if its part of my hand, I can manipulate the trigger faster, get the sites back down from recoil between shots for faster follow up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Three months with a pre-owned MP9 after years with Glock 17/19/22/26/27/30SF. I installed the Apex DCAEK kit, and my accuracy at 15 yards went from 8 ring to 9 ring compared to the G17 Gen4, more comfortable to shoot (I have some issues with the shape of my shooting hand not agreeing with the Glock's ergo's), 100% reliable over several types/brands of ammo. I intend replacing my G26 with an MP9C for CCW. I don't hesitate to recommend the M&P semi's, but with the caveat that the triggers definitely need work to be as good as they can be.

Thomas
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:44:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I switched from a Glock 34 to a S&W M&P 9 Pro.  I couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#21]
G19 to a M&P9C here. Drop an APEX RAM in it and you're good to go.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:53:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Ive owned both at the the same time, M&P9 and G19, G36 and M&P45C.  I sold my first M&P9 and had to replace it, now I own no more Glocks.  I shoot the M&P better, feels better in my hand.  The G19 was comfortable, but long range sessions my hand got cramped on the grip.  

The M&P9FS is now my main carry, replacing the G19 and the M&P45c.  (45 is all but sold to consolidate to 9mm).  Thats going to pay for sights and Apex DCAEK for the 9FS
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Own both a G17 and full size M&P 9.  I like both but the Glock has been gathering dust.  The ergonomics on the Smith are just hard to beat.  I have smallish hands and find a lot of the wondernines are a bit of a handful.  The Smith with the small back strap just plain fits.  I'm still running the stock trigger and don't mind it at all.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#24]
My journey went from a Department issued Glock 22 and a personally owned 23 for my back up.  Started learning about the effectiveness of a 9mm and I've completely stopped shooting .40 cal.  I still have my 22 as my department is letting me keep it in my possession.  I sold the 23 and purchased a Glock 34 (in my opinion the only Glock to own).  I purchased a 19 to back up my 34.  I'd been eyeing the M&P's for quite some time but I really didn't want to like them as I've never been a fan of the S&W autos.  

About 3 months ago I shot an M&P9 and M&P9c right next to my 34 and 19.  I was floored with how nice the M&P was to shoot.  That day I put my Glock 19 up for sale.  With the sale of my 19, I went and purchased an M&P9.  I have the APEX Duty trigger and Ram installed.  It's wonderful.  I plan on eventually picking up an M&P9c, but I've got other guns higher up on my list :)  I will however be keeping my 34 (I do love that gun).  

I want to purchase the M&P45, but I am really turned off on the fact they are only a 10rnd mag when the Glock 21 and XD45 are both running 13rnd mags and the FN45 is either 14 or 15rnd mags dependin on if it is the tactical model or not.  Only time on the trigger of each will determine which 45 I purchase.
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 11:11:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like both pistols but even after owning and shooting glocks for the last 15 years or so after a few trips to the range with my new M&P I could shoot it better than a glock. It points as if its part of my hand, I can manipulate the trigger faster, get the sites back down from recoil between shots for faster follow up.

I have the EXACT same experience. I carried a G27 for 5 years. I bought the M&P .40c on a whim and damn. It has been flawless and mighty accurate. It points so naturally, unlike the G27 that always pointed up high above where it should have because of the retarded grip angle. I sold all the Glocks and bought another M&P .40 fs, and installed the Apex trigger and RAM. Its the best trigger available in a polymer gun. It carries better too because its not a blocky and a bit thinner. Going from the M&P back to a Glock would be like going from a Porsche to a Subaru...... for me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2011 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I made the switch from a G22 to a MP 9 about a month ago.

I was actually in to pick up a G23 and the guy at the counter asked if I had considered the MP  - he pulled one out and as soon as I had it in hand it felt right.  It aims more naturally than Glocks for me, is more comfortable in hand and I am more accurate as well.  I have been to the range twice and put about 400-450 down the pipe and the pistol has operated perfectly.  I really like Glocks and I think they are a great weapons system but the M&P is the better handgun for me.  I don't regret making the switch, however my wife isn't that crazy with the selling and buying of pistols going on lately.  I believe I am going to pick up a M&P Compact in the next week or so.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Update in OP
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 4:03:39 AM EDT
[#28]
I never really switched as I have never cared for the Glocks and don't shoot them all that well (now my wife shoots her's better than anything else). The M&P fits me very comfortably. I made that remark to a friend of mine and later that day we took a few out to just plink and one of them was a Glock with a 22lr conversion kit. Shot it at 50' at a steel plate. Fired it about as fast as I could and kept them all on it; his remark; "Yeah, you can't shoot them at all"....still don't like the things!
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 4:13:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I picked up a M&P9 VTAC last week and love it so far. A year ago one of the guys at the local gunshop I used showed me one when I was looking at XDM's and I shot it down because of the trigger design, that was a mistake. I wish I had bought one then, I've be searching for "the one" for years and I'm pretty sure I've finally found it. I gave up on glocks a long time ago, I can't shoot them for a crap because of the grip angle and my experience with my G19 and G23 put a bad taste in my mouth with glock, they had failure after failure and after sending both back to glock they returned them and said there was nothing wrong with them. Then a few years ago I was attending a local handgun course that had a bunch of loaner G17's and 19's that were pretty neglected and these guns that "run forever" were having stoppages every few rounds, and they were ALL doing it. My XD9 on the other hand I did a 10000 round torture test with and the only attention it got was a shot of EWL every couple thousand rounds and it never had a issue. I can't wait to see how this M&P does, so far its impressing me and I'm already wanting a M&P9C.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 1:11:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I would say it has been a two step process for me.  I have been carrying Glocks for 16 plus years, mostly 40s and 45's.  I have enjoyed my Glocks and have never had one let me down.  I prefer the compact 19/23 size and used them for uniform duty ad off duty during that time.  About two years ago I picked up and M&P 40 to try it out.  It felt good and I could shoot it at least as well as my Glocks.  Shortly after picking up my M&P 40 It suffered from the dead trigger issue.  During my M&P armorers course S&W knew about the problem, but did not have a solution at that time.  Being a possible duty weapon this was not going to work, so away it went.  Keeping up with my armorer status and knowing some folks at S&W I kept up with the issues and the solutions S&W implemented.  I recently went back to 9mm and have rid myself of all of my 40's except for a 2nd gen 23, the first I carried.  I still have a G19 duty weapon as well.  I figured why not try a new current production M&P9 and give it another shot.  S&W seems to have resolved the prior issues with the M&P series.  I took this M&P 9 new out of the box, without cleaning and lube and began shooting. I do this will all my pistols, except 1911's.   At 800 plus rounds I cleaned it for the first time.  There were no FTF/FTE at all, the thing just ran and ran.  Prior to the first shot being fired, I did install a pro series sear, and Apex RAM.  The trigger was great, but there was still something missing, at least for me.  I was used to a heavier take up on the trigger, al la Glock.  I installed one of the APEX increased trigger return spring.  Some may not like the setup, but I now have an M&P with Glock trigger.  My Glocks had OEM "-" connectors and that is what I have been used to.  The trigger in my M&P is exactly like the triggers in my Glocks.  A slight bit of tension on the take up, clean break 4.8 to 5.0 pounds, and nice short, positive reset.  I am over 1000 rounds through it currently, and still not one issue.  This thing is laser accurate and so far I am extremely impressed with it.  I will always have a soft spot for Glocks, they have been with me in good and bad times without fail.  The M&P is an outstanding weapon platform, and I believe it has a very bright future.  TXPO
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Year ago I bought a Glock 17 and a 22. The other day I bought a S&W M&P 40 , I just love the grip feeling on the S&W M&P. I hate to say it but I think the glocks have to go.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 12:30:03 PM EDT
[#32]
just bought a g19 gen4 cause i got a great blue label deal––- i held the m&p and liked its feel more, but everyone i talked to said get the glock....am eyballing a new m&p from express police supply fur just under 400... plus 50 buck rebate from s&w for .mil members.  might jsut have to get the M&P TOO!!!!!!

I am thinking the 9mm, just cause its cheap to shoot....
not sure of the various safties available....any recommendations?   I am leaning toward thumb safety-
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

just bought a g19 gen4 cause i got a great blue label deal––- i held the m&p and liked its feel more, but everyone i talked to said get the glock....am eyballing a new m&p from express police supply fur just under 400... plus 50 buck rebate from s&w for .mil members. might jsut have to get the M&P TOO!!!!!!

I am thinking the 9mm, just cause its cheap to shoot....

not sure of the various safties available....any recommendations? I am leaning toward thumb safety-
www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_16/115814_Glock_22_and_MandP__40___a_personal_Pepsi_Challenge.html

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I respect glocks for what they are: workhorses that go bang ALMOST every time. To me, they aren't pretty. Or comfortable. However, I WOULD trust my life with a glock over any other pistol––I carry a glock 27 daily.

When I shoot pistols in competition, I prefer my M&P 9mm. It has had a very few FTF when it was brand new, with cheap ammo. ~2,000 rounds later and it has been flawless. I prefer the ergonomics, the M&P feels better, shoots better, and is a more natural pointer for me. This of course is entirely personal preference. I keep my M&P 9L loaded with fiocchi 9mm +P HP on the nightstand beside me with a TLR2 attached, it would be the first thing I reach for if something "bumped" in the night.

In reality though, any quality constructed modern pistol will give you the same performance and reliability to the .000000001% such as the XD, berettas, CZ, et al. In the end, it comes down to what shoots best for you.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Got my first Glock in February of '94 and I'm still a huge fan.
The undeniable fact is that the M&P benefits from almost three decades, after the Glock, of lessons-learned about fit and ergonomics.
I want my sole, remaining, Glock (G20) to fit me as well as my two M&Ps (45 and 9 Pro).
Once I sell my custom Glock 20, I'll replace it with a G20SF and have the grip worked to fit me as well as possible.
My students constantly comment on how great my M&Ps are. They are wise beyond their experience...

Thanks,
Lee
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I went from a Beretta 92fs to a Glock 19 back to 92(Taurus this time) and then to my m&p 9fs. I really like the M&P. I really liked my g19 and 92's. For me it was someone offered me his m&p9 straight across for my pt99. It was a chance to try a highly regarded pistol for free. Very glad I made the trade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top