Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2004 3:26:53 AM EDT
just got one, didn't have a users' manual with it.  The moveable rear part of the grip doesn't prevent the gun from firing like a Luger or 1911 so what is it for?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#1]
S&Ws website mentions that this model has a "hammerblock safety system independent of the trigger pull"...my guess is that this is it...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply Ikor but that's a different thing.  My original Mod52 as well as this 952 both have a firing pin block that is engaged by the safety.  The trigger and hammer function as normal when the safety is engaged allowing dry-firing practice without the wear-and-tear on the firing pin and spring.  You can even 'dry fire' with the chamber loaded.

My original Mod52 has a solid backstrap - the 952 pivots like an old Colt 1903.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:50:00 AM EDT
[#3]
It IS the firing pin cafety activation / deactivation device...at least according to this writeup...

www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_160_26/ai_92585776
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:06:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Ikor, I got it figured out.  It is a grip safety but it only affects the firing pin, not the hammer or trigger (like a Colt).  The gun functions as normal whether the backstrap is depressed or not, unlike the magazine safety which prevents the hammer from falling.

I had to disable the mag safety for competition anyway so pulled both firing pin blocks out - no more grip safety.  The next problem is the trigger, it has no creep and very little overtravel but weighs over 4lbs.  My Mod52 has a trigger just over 2lbs so I'm looking for some springs to reduce the 952 trigger weight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:16:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Should be able to get some standard springs from S&W directly and once you do that, to play with the current ones to lighten it up a bit...don't know if Wolff makes any for this model or not but you can take a look.

Where is "VUT"?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:00:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll try Wolff for springs and play with the standard ones if they don't have anything.  Don't know how VUT got on my registration, must've hit some wrong keys.  I'm down in the Caribbean.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Well we have had one Hell of a year so far with the storms, eh? Looks like they ain't over yet, either. Pensacola and Mobile areas still catching it even now.

Stay safe down there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top