Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2004 12:19:46 AM EDT
Anyone carry this concealed? If so what do you think of it? Ive heard it is too heavy and hard to conceal. I'm thinking about buying one of these since the price is really good.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Being all stainless steel...the frame makes the whole package heavy, more suitable for service than concealment.
Also being a  "full size", they are large and harder to hide.
Besides all that, if the price is that good, what does having another .45 hurt anyway?
For general shooting, I like the 645/4506 as one alternative to the 1911, having had one for 16 years and a few 645s before that.

Anothergene: My thoughts exactally on having another .45  

-Chuck
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey... Vick Mackey carries one so they must be good!
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:15:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I carried one concealed (I was a Fed Agent - except for SRT we didn't have uniforms) for years.  Then one Christmass, Santa brought me a 4566, which I also carried for years.  Frankly, if you live in a hot climate, there is nothing that isn't a pain in the ass to carry concealed.  Accept it.  You're going to have to wear something to cover it.  

The 4566 was a tad shorter than the 4505, but even under a leather flight jacket (winter in Nevada), either gun left me conscious of the fact that if I moved just right, holster would show (I can't stand anything but a P-7 stuck inside my pants).

I shot one as well (or badly - you know how THAT goes) as the other.  I probably used the 4506 just because it was a present from my parents.  Both weapons are so reliable and dependable it's totally a toss up.  As opposed to "throw up?"  

My advice would be, assuming you like the weapon, go for it.  In those days, 1911's became "pistola non grata" in my Agency, and as DA .45's come and go, especially if you like steel as opposed to plastic, I know of none better.  

For warmer weather, all I did was throw an old military BDU blouse on with the sleeves rolled up.  That'll cover anything.  Then just grab a handfull of questionably awarded Vietnam era war medals and throw them at some war memorial somewhere and you'll probably even get elected President.

As the guys said, can having another .45 REALLY hurt?  I kept all of three of mine (two 4506's and one 4566) just because they really are excellent weapons (at least I think so).            
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 5:28:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I just put a 4506 on layaway today... I was just browsing around in the funshop and low and behold there one lay.  I picked it up, and it spoke to me.... said it belonged to me and I was not going to leave the store without staking a claim to it.  

So I threw down some money on it... of all the posts I have seen on them, the ONLY complaint I have seen was the weight... but with a non-plastic pistol thats pretty much to be expected.  

Any tips that anyone else has on these weapons (or even just general info) I would be grateful.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I've fired one before although I don't have any carry experience with it.  S&W autos have controls that are pretty much all in the same place.  It had a good deal of felt recoil to me, but I was mostly used to shooting 9mm or full framed 1911's.  For whatever reason full sized 1911's don't seem to have that much recoil to me, but this gun did.  

One thing I can attest to is that my buddy who owns this 4506 said it was 100% reliable.  I never saw it fail at the range and I've put about 200 rounds through my buddy's without a hiccup.  I bought a 6906 9mm and carried it for years with the same results.  S&W autos are tough and reliable but not the best ergonomics or control.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I've carried one concealed, and didn't find it difficult to conceal. I did IWB appendix carry with an untucked shirt. Now, I did feel the 4506 was fairly heavy for continuous carry, though, and that's what eventually led to me leaving it at home.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:52:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah... after carrying a Glock 19 for quite some time now the 4506 will no doubt feel like a brick until I get used to its weight.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:53:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top