Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2010 4:31:49 AM EDT
I have the chance to pick up a S&W 5906, it s a former small town police chiefs weapon. I do know the chief and he has confirmed aprox 200-250 rnd count. It comes with Novak low profile sights it is Stainless and SA/DA with an ambi-Decocker. I have handled the pistol and it is like brand new, No holester wear and the rifleling is bright and sharp. The asking price is $350.00 and I thought that was a KICK A** deal. I then went to GB to compare prices and its actually in the ball park if not a bit high.

My question is this, was there something inherntly disliked about this particualr pistol, I know this particular one is 8 or 10 years old. I know the SA/DA Decocker mechanisim is antiquated but Im a lefty and ok with it. Any thoughts or practial experience with one would be helpful.

Tnks
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:35:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't attest to the 5906, but I do have a 4026 which is essentially the same gun in a .40 cal.  I love the gun.  It's a bit heavy, but shoots really well.  I believe they fell off the market because they couldn't compete with the polymer frame guns in terms of price and popularity.  I would say jump on it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Like the above poster, I cannot attest directly to the 5906.  However, I have a 4043, which is pretty much the same gun, and I love it.  The only reason I have a 4043 is because I couldn't find a 5906 at the time I was interested.  I would have no problem at all buying a police issued 5906 for $350.  It may be a little more expensive than on the internet, but if you buy online you still have to have it shipped and transfered, which would add $30-60.  Stop reading this post and go buy it from him right now.  You won't regret it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a bad deal at all and you know the weapons history. Many on gun broker sell for much higher if in mint condition. Prices are going up on 3rd Gen Smiths.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you fellow posters, it will be a done deal by the end of the week.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
5906, with that descript is a good price. Most of the time they'll sell in the high $3-4xx's. Some tip the $5xx. Cheap, well made, accurate, tank of a gun.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Love those 3rd gen smiths . I own a 5906 . Great gun . As stated " tank like "

BUY IT !!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:17:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have two and when I have friends over for a shoot they always ask if they can buy one.  They are great pistols.  One of mine has a touchy ejector which needs to be kept clean and by clean I mean a teardown after shooting several hundred rounds which is to me acceptable.  Other than that very reliable.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
This is IMHO the best 9mm Smith ever made, they are built like a tank. Friends in the Local PD carried them for a long time before switching to glocks a few years back. Never heard a complaint about them.  I've owned 2 of them myself.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:23:26 PM EDT
[#9]
They are great guns. I am the origianl owner of one, my very first gun I ever bought. Will shoot any kind of ammo I choose and it accurate at 7-10 yards. Don't hesitate to buy it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Picked up an old police one for my dad as a nightstand/woods gun.  I like it pretty well.  Like others have said, it's a tank, so it's a bit heavy, but other than that, I think it's a decent gun.  What do you want to use if for, if you don't mind me asking?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Needless to say Im pretty POed but they guy backed out. Better to say he took a lesser offer. I told the guy wait until Sat. and I would have the full $350.00 he sold it for $300.00 on Friday. SO be it. Anyway Im still sold on this beautiful weapon and Im now searching gunbroker ect. I do have one question, Im not that familary with the SA/DA Decocker action. Am I able to put a round in the chamber then decock it. THEN cock the hammer for the Cocked and locked condition? or would you always be forced to squeeze through the first round DA to fire. (unless of course you cock the hammer manually first). BTW anyone looking to unload one hit me up...

thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#12]
You cannot carry this weapon "cocked and locked."  Its a traditional DA/SA semi-auto.  The de-cocker is also a safety.  I own several of them and I wouldn't carry anything else.  It is heavy by today's standards but utterly reliable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Palmetto,

So, once the hammer has been cocked and then the Dcocker engaged and the hammer droped. if you try to cock the hammer with the safety on it will not lock back, correct? You must disengage the safety and manually pull through the DA trigger or manually cock the hammer to fire correct?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats correct.  Safety must be disengaged (flipped up) for the pistol to fire. Beretta 92F works the same way if that helps.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Look at Aim and CDNN, they both have used ones in the low $300's. I got a NIB from CDNN about a year and a half ago, got lucky and paid $369
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:27:06 AM EDT
[#16]
I ordered a nice used one from CDNN a couple of months ago.  Don't know if they have any left.  They are in their last flyer/catalog for third quarter 2010.

Patrick
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top