Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2003 1:59:59 AM EDT
I was looking at a Stainless Vertecthe other day and noticed something different about the operating rod. It was polymer! The dealer had a 92FS with a polymer op rod. Mine doesn`t have one. Is the polymer op rod ok? I`m not new to polymer on guns but I`m not sure about polymer on a op rod.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#1]
My M9 has the polymer op rod also, after about 500rds still haven't had any problems with it. At some point I might change it, but don't see any point in it so far.

Jamie
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you're shooting a Garand or M1A or similiar, none of your Beretta's have "an operating rod". It is a "guide rod", something completely different.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 11:47:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine's a few years old and has a polymer one. There's one of those buffered ones made of real metal available ... got to put one of those on the list.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:35:09 AM EDT
[#4]
As much as I may not like the idea of a "plastic" guide rod, I am still waiting for any reports of a broken one.
A spare, either in plastic or metal would be reassuring in the meantime, just in case.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:11:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Unless you're shooting a Garand or M1A or similiar, none of your Beretta's have "an operating rod". It is a "guide rod", something completely different.

Ditto, came here expecting a different type of question......., op-rod on a Beretta

Mike
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I've shot over 3000 rounds out of my polymer guide rodded 92FS, and its never given me a problem.  I feel that if it is durable, plastic would make a better material, since its kinda slick.  

Ghost
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]
They started using the polymer guide rods in 99 or 00.  They are self lubricating, corrosion resistant, and they're always black since the color can't be scratched off.

If you really want metal I'd recomend getting the stainless rod from LTT.  It is solid stainless and reletively heavy to control muzzle rise/flip.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#8]
There's also the Harrt's recoil reducer, a SS guide rod with mercury inside to eat up muzzle flip. I have one on my 1911, it's a difference maker, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 9:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Mine's a few years old and has a polymer one. There's one of those buffered ones made of real metal available ... got to put one of those on the list.

I replaced the plastic rod from my Vertec with one of these:

http://glocksbr.com/axami/shop.php?grd=46&prd=108

I love it.  It noticeably cuts recoil.  My only complaint is that it is a little harder to install than the normal rod since it is shorter.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Harrts unit in my Elite II as BobCole mentioned. I didn't notice much of a difference in preceived recoil. Mainly since the 92 doesn't offer much recoil to begin with.
I like the stainless look on mine to match my Elite II, so I left it in. If I had a brut. finished model, I'd stick with the plastic.
If it is a newer production 9x, you'll notice it now has plastic safety/decocker, and a plastic covered trigger too.
The plastic magazine followers are better IMO than the cast ones. They operate a little smoother.
-Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top