Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2003 5:37:57 PM EDT
I can't seem to get the Berettaforum.net sight to work for me, so this should so nicely.

I need to get the safety off my M96 so I can use a Brownell rear sight drifter. My Venturing advisor has offered to take me with him to the range this Friday to help me out (it's his drifter anyway), and to see how my recently reworked Remmy 1100 is doing.

I'm very mechanically inclined, so I just need to know how to do it, and what tools are needed. Also, how long can I expect it to take? Not too long, I would expect, once I get things figured out.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:49:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not certain I understand you correctly, but I think you have one of those tools you clamp on the slide in order to drift the rear sight?

If so, don't use it if you have to take the safety off or even deal with it. A brass (NOT steel) drift & one of those small gunsmith hammers are all you need. Brownells sells a drift along with their hammer so you have everything you need.

Personally, I would not attempt to remove the safety from my 92FS for cleaning or otherwise as it appears to be a SOB to reassemble.

My .o2
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Bob,

We tried the brass punch with both a rubber mallet and an actual hammer. The mallet was't budging the thing, and the actual hammer moved it clear across the sight channel.

Since you say it's an SOB to assemble, I may have to go to plan B. Allow me to explain and see what you think.

I plan to take a 2x4 or something, and drilling a small hole in it. Then, I plan to screw a large set screw or something in it (this will all take place on the upper left corner of the board). Once I've done this, I will back the set screw out. It's only purpose was to cut threads in the wood. Next, I'll have to go to Home Depot and see if I can find a nylon screw of the same size to put in that hole.

Then, I'll just place the rear sight over that nylon screw and hammer away until the sight contacts the screw, which acts as a stop to prevent over-drifting of the sight. Fire the gun to see if it's any better. If not, turn the screw in a turn or so, hammer away with the punch some more, and try again.

You follow? Sound like it would work? Nothing else has so far.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Beretta sells a wrench designed specifically for this, but you might try a smaller hammer first. Ha!
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Ikor,

Thanks, but it wouldn't get here in time, and I'd probably only use it once. I'll have to try that smaller hammer idea. Perhaps we need the metal head, but smaller for slightly less momentum?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#5]
AZYoungGun, Taking the safety isn't that hard.  here is the steps;

1. remove extractor pin and extractor (this is the pin on top of the slide)

2.remove the firing pin block roll pin

3. place safety lever in the "ON" position, and punch out the (2) small roll pins on the leftside and remove left safety lever.

4. place slide into a ziplock bag (this will catch all the springs and pins that fly out), and push in firing pin button on safety (where the hammer strikes.  As you push the firing pin button, rotate the safety lever up past until you can push the safety through the slide.

5. to reassemble just remember to install the firing pin and spring first. And remember where all the pins and springs belong to.

Hope this helps, R6721
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#6]
R6721,

Thanks! I might have to give that a try, but it may be a little close to Friday to start taking it apart. I'll give it a go afterwards, though, and see what I can do for the next range trip.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top