Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2003 8:53:26 AM EDT
Well I have done it now.  My new 92FS ST has just arrived in the shop and I will be picking it up tomorrow.  I have always wanted a Beretta 92 to add to my collection.  The question I have is about this Stainless Steel version.  I was under the impression that all stainless steel version of any gun is always heaver and consequently easier to shoot.  When I went to the Beretta web site it listed the 92FS ST the same weight as the standard 92FS.  This does not sound right.  Can anyone shed some light on my question?  What other differences are there between the stainless steel version and the standard version. (Other than looks)
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#1]
It still uses an aluminum frame, hence the weight being the same.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Both use an aluminum frame.

The blued guns have a carbon steel slide with Bruniton coating.  Basically a baked-on Teflon applied over Parkerizing.

The regular blued 92FS uses a blued, carbon steel barrel with a hard chromed bore and chamber.  Some blued models like the Vertecs use a stainless barrel with a black oxide finish on the outside.

The stainless pistols use a stainless barrel.

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#3]
In the Beretta line, the blue and stainless weigh the same, as pointed out.
Some other makes, like S&W, for example, the SS version does weigh more, depending on model.
The 5904 is blued and has an alloy frame, the 5903 is stainless and has an anodized alloy frame, the 5906 is stainless and has the heavier stainless frame. (29 oz. Vs. 38 oz.)
Being a common gun, that may have been where you picked up that idea, not totally wrong.
Having fired both Smiths side by side, the heavier one does shoot a little easier, but not by that large of a margin.
When you pop the slide off of your 92 for cleaning, you will feel how light the frame actually is.
You have picked out a great gun in the stainless finish, I think you will come to love it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:25:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  I am leaving work early today to get my new family member.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top