Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2003 6:54:09 PM EDT
I am working on a project to install a small electronic device in the grip of an 92/M-9.  I have two sets of grips but not the M-9 itself (I'm working the electronics end).  I need a photo of a 92 or M-9 with the grips off so I can verify what I have (and don't have) to work with.  We have completed the same project with an M-16 pistol grip but had exclusive use of room inside.  The tolerances in a Beretta grips are far tighter.

If any has or can take a photo that shows the grip area with grips off I would be grateful.  Web searches haven't turned up anything.

As an aside - if anyone knows of grips that may be slightly thicker than Beretta factory grips -I'd be interested in knowing of them.

I appreciate any assistance.

Regards,
CWO
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Forgive me for asking, but are you building some sort of so-called "smart gun"?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a 92F that I can scan without the grips if you think that might work. Sorry, but I don't have a digital camera
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Forgive me for asking, but are you building some sort of so-called "smart gun"?

Nothing quite so complex as a smart gun - and nothing that alters/affects its operation.  I'm inserting a very small electronic device into the grips.  The M9 grips are posing a particular challenge because they aren't very thick, and our ability to machine a groove deep enough for the device (looks like a very slender, elongated capsule)is a problem.  I am seeking a photo to understand how the metal grip contours conform (or don't) to the grips.  Or to put it another way - I'm looking for a place that I might be able to let the device protrude beyond the inside surface of the rubber grip - without running into metal.

CWO
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Excuse me for asking, but shouldn't you just go spend a few hundred on a used Beretta?  You'll need one to test this thing sooner or later anyway, right?  More to the point, a simple picture isn't going to give you the proper dimensions to not only fit into the frame but do it without interfering with the magazine.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 1:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
This project is developed out of an office.  Bringing a firearm into an office for development has far to many negatives for for single engineering benefit.  The electronic device has over 4,000 .223 rounds on it without failure - so I'm not concerned about device failure testing.

I didn't anticipate that such a photo would be so hard to get.  The photo was just so confirm a suspicion of a specific metal feature at the grip - no close tolerances involved.

I'll withdraw the request.

CWO
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:28:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This project is developed out of an office.  Bringing a firearm into an office for development has far to many negatives for for single engineering benefit.  The electronic device has over 4,000 .223 rounds on it without failure - so I'm not concerned about device failure testing.

Probably shouldn't be developing anything for a firearm then.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:47:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Probably shouldn't be developing anything for a firearm then.

I'll ignore your comment since it is made in complete ignorance of the project.  If you have experience in the R&D of one-of-a-kind sub-miniature electronic devices for firearms then feel free to offer more constructive comment.  

CWO
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#8]
CWO- are you still looking for pictures?

If so, I can post some for you. Would you like any with the mag inserted?

Av.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 11:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
 If you have experience in the R&D of one-of-a-kind sub-miniature electronic devices for firearms then feel free to offer more constructive comment. CWO

May I ask what you are building?
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Avalon:  Thank you for your offer of pictures.  Another member was kind enough to provide me with a series of great closeups that were most helpful.  Such cooperation among members is a great positive trait of these boards.

I am unfortunately not in a position to disclose the functionality of the device at this time.  To avoid building up false anticipation - it isn't anything James Bond-ish.  It is more of a convenience item than something earth shattering.

Thanks for the offers of help.

CWO
Link Posted: 8/17/2003 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a device designed to keep track of the amount of rounds fired.

This page may help you with some schematics.
www.geocities.com/Yosemite/6078/mainten.htm

Good luck with your project.
-Steve
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top