Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2003 10:52:15 PM EDT
What are the differences of these 2 pistols?  I'm thinking of getting me a 92 and was playing with a regular model at my gunshop.. but not real happy about the trigger space in SA.  Then I heard someone say the Elite II had a bit better trigger and it looks good with the SS slide and parked frame..

thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 4:43:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Not quite sure exactly what you mean about not being happy with the "trigger space on s.a." (?) but there is not a lot of difference in the two guns. The Elite models are...I believe...all "G" Series...decock only. They use the reinforced stainless slide with replaceable front sight and a slightly shorter barrel cut flush with the slide. They use the hammer spring from the DA only 92/96 which reduces the pull weight some and bevel the mag well a little. Checkering on front and back straps and...supposedly...some contouring of the grip frame. Nice pistols, but not sure if they are worth the premium over the standard 92 series guns.

The Vertec models have shorter trigger reach, but the trigger pull "angle" is changed also, and the ones I have tried, I personally did not care for. I am also not a big fan of rails on handgun frames, but that's just a personal quirk.

You can do pretty well with a standard 92/96 G using a DA only hammer spring if you don't want the other features of the Elite II Models. Having said that, I would get a 92 Elite II if I could get a really great deal on one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 7:35:29 AM EDT
[#2]
They only look to be about 100 bucks more or so than a regular 92.. the trigger thing im talking about is the trigger creep... it moves like 1/4" before it gets stiffer.. but I can get used to that If the barrel stuck out like on the regular models I'd probably buy one now.

Guess I might try and find me a 92G.. since I kinda like how the barrel pokes out the end.  I've played with the Vertec's and don't much care for them myself.. I just want a stainless bbl to put in mine if I get a all parked 92.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#3]
If it is "creep" on a Beretta, it will almost certainly almost dissappear after some lubrication and a little shooting. Slack movement, or "takeup" is designed into the action to insure all parts such as the disconnector, etc. are in place before the next shot is triggered. You will find some in all duty type auto designs. Try letting the slide go forward while holding the trigger hard to the rear, (as you normally would under recoil)then slowly release it until you hear a "click". You can now fire the next shot...it is not necessary to allow the trigger to go any farther forward if you wish to fire again. The "takeup" also acts as sort of a safety measure, just as with a military rifle trigger.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I see.. i'm about to run up to my gunshop and "fondle" a few of them.. They have one for 760 w/ Laser Grips and one JUST like it w/o laser grips for 560.. sound about right to you?  They are also having a one day sale saturday and every gun in the store will be dealer price.. so hopefully it will go down to around 500 or so.. but you cannot put it on layaway at that price or 12months same as cash or any of that.. gotta buy it right then at that price.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#5]
If that is $560 for the Elite II, that is, I think, a pretty good price. Wholesale is close to that, or was at one time. If you can get one at $500 and have the $$$, grab it PDQ! For a standard 92G, I think you can do better than $560 for sure. The good thing about the Berettas, like 'em or not, is that you sure as Hell won't get shortchanged on quality. The 92 Series guns for damn sure make the short list for pistols that work correctly right out of the box.
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#6]
That 560 is for a regular 92.. the Elite II's i've been seeing are around 670 or even around 700..
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
On page 5 of Handguns in EE, "Appleman" has a used 92 Elite listed for $550. Don't know him but it might be worth a try...
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info.. I believe ima go with the 92f with laser grips..
Link Posted: 1/7/2003 11:31:14 PM EDT
[#9]
The model with the Crimson Trace laser grips is a special edition 92 (unsure if they offered a 96) FS model. Manual safety and decocker, DA/SA pistol.
Those grips come with the Beretta logo rather then the CTC logo. That is the only way to get them in the USA at least.
The G config. means there is no external safety. It is only a Decocker. The G config. is my personal preference. The Elite series is the mainstream release of the "G" models to civilians. Other G models are generally limited to LEO and military. There are some out there, usually on police trade in, or if you've got a good dealer who will keep the 15 round mags.
The Elite and Elite II are like the high end production models. The Elite II has a stainless slide and barrel. The Barrel is 4.7" long rather then the typical 4.9" barrel on the standard models.
The trigger in both Elites is better than the stock trigger. It comes with a "D" hammer spring which reduces pull. The Elite II has an extended mag release, skeletonized hammer, checkered front and back strap on the grip, stainless hex head grip screws, Novak plain black sights, rubber bumpers on the bottoms of the magazines. I'm not as familiar with the Elite 1's option list.
I use the Elite II for my carry/duty gun.
Any 9x series Beretta will be great right out of the box.
Hope this helsp.
-Steve
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 1:17:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up the 92FS w/laser grips today.. gonna clean it up and go blast some rounds in the morning.. I just loaded up the mags it came with and noticed when I unloaded(by hand) that some of the rounds nose dive and get hung up on the magbody.. but if I rack the slide back and forth with the mag in the gun it doesn't do it.. I guess it's not a big deal if it works fine in the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top