Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2002 5:02:59 PM EDT
Ok... I picked up a slightly used elite today. Man, it's sexy. Looked like it was new, not a scratch on it... And the trigger feels nicer than the 92fs.

$450 a good deal for the gun, 2x 10 factory and 2x 15 after market (they worked great!) mags?

Anyhow... Any suggestions as to upgrades, mods, or other fun stuff for these?

I'm already looking for good rubber grips and more hicaps...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/22/2002 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Before any mods, how does it shoot?
It's nice to know how it is before you "improve" it, then you have a baseline for how effective the improvements actually are.
Hi-caps are relatively easy, just watch out for postban "gov't & law enforcement only" magazines, I keep running into those and are a no-no. A lot of aftermarket mags will be found to be substandard, try for the factory 15's.
Sweet gun, enjoy it AS you modify it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:46:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Ernest Langdon is the guru of the high-speed / low-drag Beretta handgun. Take a look at his website before doing much of anything. BTW...excellent pistol, great deal!

http://www.langdontactical.com/main.htm
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on what kind of budget you're on, and what you intend to use the pistol for. The Elite series was designed for sports shooting, but I've found it to be a superior combat handgun then the standard FS or D models.
Being a G config, meaning it is only a Decocker, no external safety lays it out on the KISS agenda. The DA pull is between 9 - 11 pounds stock, and around 5 pounds in SA. That heavy DA makes it safe in a proper holster, so long as you are safe.
My duty gun/carry gun is the Elite II 92g. I had it customized by Ernest Langdon. He is THE MAN when it comes to the 9x series of Beretta's.
I had my Elite II's frame and smaller parts Teflon coated thru Ernest after he did a bevel job on the pistol. The slide and barrel of the Elite II are stainless, so they were simply beveled and beadblasted. The decocker was beveled too. 200 - 225$
I have Novak night sights installed, a .290 rear for "dot driving" style shooting. 125$
I had Ernest install a 4.7" custom fit barsto barrel and bead blast it to match the slide. 205$
I installed a spurless hammer in place of the skeletonized hammer. 42$
I had a Level II trigger job done which installed a new trigger with an over travel stop and polished the sears. The DA is now 8lbs, and the SA is 4lbs. 125$
I installed some black hexnut grip screws in place of the stainless ones i the grips. 5$
CTC lasergrips, the rubber wrap around type. 254$

I have some money tied up in it, but it shoots like a million bucks. With a good shooter and great ammo, it'll do sub 1" groups at 50 feet.
I have yet to wear the finish off of the frame rails or the mag well. Something I did on the first day with the stock finish. Absolutely no holster wear, and I broke in a Milt Sparks Improved Baker holster when the pistol returned.
You could install a stainless guide rod, but that is only a looks issue, and it is debatable on if it looks good in a Elite "1." Someone gave me a Harrts recoil reduction guide rod. I didn't notice any difference in recoil, but the guide rod looks nice. I wouldn't buy one though.
Pictures documenting my pistols work can be seen here:
www.beretta92.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=SteveLTT

Good luck, great deal BTW.
-Steve
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#4]
nice stevenb!

I took this out to shoot for the second time last night, and am getting ready to go out again this morning w/ the brother-in-law.

Last night I was shooting MUCH more accurately than my old Ruger p89. I attribute that to the much lighter pull on the trigger the elite has.

I'm not sure if the previous owner had trigger work (or any other work for that matter) done on this gun... but I did test out the standard 92fs, the 96 brig and the 92 elite at the gun show and the elite had a much nicer (lighter pull) trigger. That's really what made me buy it (well, besides the price).

I was surprised that my very first shot with it at about 20 feet, the shot was touching the knot in the board I was aiming for (knot about the size of the 9mm hole left in board).

I think I'm going to get a 96 Brig as a secondary pistol now, as I really like these weapons. I was always just "ok" with my ruger p89, p90, 1911, and friends SW and glock.

Thanks for the ideas on where and what to do for customizing this thing. My first step is new grips... I'm still debating other things listed on that sight as that seems like a decent ammount of cash, when my weapon already seems (to me) to be functioning great!

Perhaps I'll run into someone locally who's had some of these mods done so I can check out the difference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top