Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2006 1:59:25 PM EDT
I had thought I heard somewhere that 96 series mags will work in a 92 and vice versa, but obviously wont be same capacity due to size differences (ie, a 15rd 92 mag will only hold like 11 or 12 40 cal rounds, and a 96 series mag will that normally holds 10 or 11 40 cal rounds would hold maybe 14 or so 9mm rounds).

Is this all BS?  Whats the scoop?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
While I don't own a .40, I would think the mag lips would be wider for the .40 versus the 9mm???
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
While I don't own a .40, I would think the mag lips would be wider for the .40 versus the 9mm???

logic says yes, but you can pull that interchange shit with the XD pistols.  i dont know about beretta tho
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I was able to get 11 .40 S&W rounds into a 92F magazine.

There is a conversion kit to change the slide on a 92F with a 96G (.40) slide assembly.
so, based on that, we can assume that the 96G mags will fit in the 92 and vice versa.
factory 96G mags hold 11, as noted above, my 92F mag held 11 also.  I can't speak for reliability at this time.

I'm sure I'll be checking this out when I get my 96G kit.

eta: related link: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=15&t=25661
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys for some input, hopefully someone with both a 92 and 96 series Beretta will see this thread and let us know if they are truly interchangeable.  I only have 92 pistols.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:22:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks guys for some input, hopefully someone with both a 92 and 96 series Beretta will see this thread and let us know if they are truly interchangeable.  I only have 92 pistols.

my kit should be here w/in a week.  I'll be sure to share what I know.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:48:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

my kit should be here w/in a week.  I'll be sure to share what I know.

Cool, thanks again
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my 96G conversion kit today.. cleaned it up and put 'er on the frame.

pretty nice!  finish was vg to excellent.

Night sights too!

the lips on the .40 mag tapered from 0.345" to 0.418"
on the 9mm mag, they tapered from 0.354" to 0.380"

.40 mags are a bit longer, however they do have a thicker base plate on them.

mag thickness between the two were about the same (w/in 0.003") they both dropped free and locked the slide back regardless of which slide was installed.

I would think that using the 9mm mags with .40 would work better than the 9mm in the .40 mags.  The 9's looked and felt too 'sloppy' and would probably have multiple feeds.

My first experince with .40.. Out of curiosity, I put a 9 in the pipe (bbl removed from slide!!!!) and the whole thing slid right down the bbl!  lol

here's the pics:  (.40 on the Left or Top!)

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I have both a 96 and 92FS sitting in front of me right now.  Some points:  the mags are identical and will fit into either pistol, you can load and fire both calibures from either mag-but not 100% reliably.  My experince is the 9mm rounds will work pretty much 100% in the .40 mags but that .40 will not work 100% in the 9mm mags.  IIRC you can get 12 9mm rounds in a 10 rd .40 mag and this was a trick during the AWB years to get a few more rounds without buying an expensive hicap mag.  Having both pistols I am very carefull to segregate my .40 mags from my 9mm mags, and have fitted the big rubber base pads offerred by Beretta in the past on all my .40 mags.  This way I would'nt accidently place a loaded 9mm or .40 mag into the wrong pistol. Given the almost unlimited number of available quality factory hicap mags for both pistols I cant see why you would want to interchange them.

As far as conversion kits to inter-change calibures:  Beretta never offered these kits, they are made up from surplus parts and sold by what ever dealer is putting them together, CDNN is probably the most prolific.  Beretta did offer a convertable 9mm/.40 but used a "96" frame for the pistol. This topic was discussed at length on Berettaforum.net with the overall concencess that converting from 9mm to .40 did'nt work that well but .40 to 9mm worked very well.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#9]
They will interchange, but you won't be able to count rounds of course. I tried 92 mags in my 96 a few years ago and they worked fine. I haven't tried the 96 mags in the 92. I might try it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought the 96G conversion from CDNN last year and mounted it on the frame of a 92F police turn-in.  The original slide had become worthless after a ruptured casing blew it out of tolerance and after a lot of unsuccessful attempts to replace the 92 slide I tried the .40 conversion since they were readily available.  I put 500 rds of Lancer .40 cal Hollowpoints through it using 15rd 92FS mags.

I had three failure to chamber malfunctions that just required a little tap on the slide to un-stick it and that was early on.  The last 2-300 rounds functioned flawlessly and I was getting 11-12 rounds in the 15rd 9mm mags.  I did have to experiment a little and certain mags did work better than others.

I will never rely on that gun for defense purposes, just because it is not what the engineers intended, but for range use and practice in the larger caliber, it does what I need it to.

Hope this helps.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top