Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 11:21:38 AM EDT
I have recently pruchased 2 Berettas. One is marked 96 and the other is a 96 Centurion. What is the differences between these weapons and the 96F and 96F Centurion? What exactly does the F designate? Is there a 96F?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#1]
F will usually mean "fullsize".

The Centurion has (I think) a bit shorter barrel (flush fit with the slide) & a slightly beefier slide itself. Seems like the hammer may be slightly different as well, I can't remember.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you actually seen a "96F"?

I ask because I'm pretty sure there's no such thing.

At the time the 96 came out, the 92FS was well into production and the 96 used the "FS" design.  Because it was the first of the series, it's just called the "96" with no suffix.  It's the same as the 92"FS", just in .40cal, but because there aren't any earlier 96's there's no reason to bother with the "FS".  

There are 96D (DAO) and 96G (De-cock only), etc. versions now, and they get the standrad suffix to differentiate them from the base model "96".

Most people refer to the standard "96" as the "96FS" because it reduces confusion in model identification.  However there techincally is no "96FS", just the "96".

The slide on a 96 will just say "96".  On the 92 it's different because there are many variations prior to the FS, so it will actually say 92F, 92SB-F, 92SB-1, 92S, etc.  

The model names and suffixes are the same between the 92 and 96 otherwise.  A Centruion is a full-size frame with a compact slide.  The standard model has a full-size frame and slide.  

The "F" is not "fullsize".  It comes from the 92SB-F that was originally adopted as the M9.  Once it was adopted, Beretta dropped the long, and obscure to most Americans, "SB-F" for the easier to say, and market, "F".  When the slide safety was added, it became the "FS"

The model 96 though is just the "96".
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#3]
No, I hadn't really noticed if there was one or not. I knew that the 92 series had F and FS models. I didn't know about the 96 until now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:44:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have my  full size Bereatta 96 in front of me now and it is marked "96" not 96FS, but is does have all the "FS" upgrades.  Ross is spot on with everything else he wrote.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
cool, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The "F" is not "fullsize".  It comes from the 92SB-F that was originally adopted as the M9.  

Well, it should be.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top