Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 11:52:07 AM EDT
A friend loaned his Beretta 92FS to me to see if I could fix it for him.  I took it shooting today, and it kicks the slide back far enough to recock the hammer, but no far enough for the empty casing to contact the ejector and kick it out, and not far enough to allow the bolt to begin stripping another round from the mag.  It did this about 14 times in a row.

What should I do?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:46:05 PM EDT
[#2]
before you go jacking around with the pistol, FIRST try shooting a different kind of ammo from it.  also have somone else shoot it.  the problem could lie in your grip of the pistol.  if the ammo change and shooter changed doesnt help, then start looking for mechanical problems
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What should I do?

Send the gun to me & forget it ever existed!!!!!!!!!!!    
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
some loads eject less than enthusiastically from my 92, mostly pmc and pmp and the like, the brass ends up sort of dribbling out at my feet.  

I would try different ammo, but also take a look at the springs, guide rod, locking block, etc.  

Is it a real PIA to rack the slide?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I tweaked my brother's 96 using an 18 lb recoil spring, factory is 13 IIRC.  It spit out cases like a champ, slinging them back onto the windows behind the shooting stalls.

I tried some more ammo today, the first batch was PMC, FTE.  Today I tried some Winchester White Box, FMJ, it too FTE.

I double checked the rod that pushes the hammer, it seems to be seated correctly.  I dissasembled the pistol the other day to look for any issues, and I hope I put the striker/hammer rod back in like I'm supposed too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]
You could try a lighter spring from Wolff. Just a thought. Is the pistol all factory or tweaked?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I would just thoroughly clean the pistol and remove the extractor and clean under it in the firing pin channel really well then reassemble and properly lube it with Militec-1 and try some Federal ball ammo or a +P ammo and see if the problem goes away.  

Berettas can get very dirty under the extractor and prematurely let go of the casings before the slide moves far enough rearward for ejection.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You could try a lighter spring from Wolff. Just a thought. Is the pistol all factory or tweaked?

completely stock

Quoted:
Berettas can get very dirty under the extractor and prematurely let go of the casings before the slide moves far enough rearward for ejection.

It never lets go of the empty case, holds on to it like a champ, but the slide never goes back far enough for the ejector to contact the case.  The slide cycles, traveling back far enough to recock the hammer, but it doesn't go far enough to force the case to contact the ejector, then it returns to battery, and can pull the trigger and drop the again on the fired case.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would just thoroughly clean the pistol and remove the extractor and clean under it in the firing pin channel really well then reassemble and properly lube it with Militec-1 and try some Federal ball ammo or a +P ammo and see if the problem goes away.  

I second this and would completely clean every thing.
Also is your ejector screwed up?
Has it moved back or wore or chipped or filed down?
Will it eject if you cycle the slide by hand?
Is there a burr or something that hinders it?

I am just throwing things out.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#10]
My Beretta 92FS had failures to eject when I first got it. I got some more powerful ammunition. And it worked great. The cheap stuff just wasn't enough power to cycle the action properly. After I got the gun broken in, it will now shoot anything 100%. So I say just keep shooting it, or maybe leave the gun with the slide locked back when not in use to weaken the spring. Or worse come to worse buy a new recoil spring from Wolf. How old is the gun?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I looked, and the ejector looks fine, no exposed metal that looks deformed or broken.
The action slides quite easily, until the slide contacts the hammer, then there is a sginifican't increase in force required to get it all the way to the rear.  That's were a lot of resistance is felt when cycling the slide.

If you give the slide a healthy pull, it will eject a cartridge just as any other pistol I've encountered.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Dano523,
Thanx for that, I've got some digital vids of the disassembly and reassembly, I'll follow your advice and see if that cures the problem.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I put a lighter hammer spring in mine to help with the double action trigger pull but put an xtra power recoil spring in at the same time. It runs like a champ but it did before too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top