Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 11:05:31 AM EDT
Ok, i handled a beretta 96 today, i really liked the vertical "1911" ish grip on it, but what got me was how much plastic was used in this gun. Do the 92's have less plastic? I mean, it even had a plastic trigger on it. I like metal in my guns, does the 92 have less plastic parts?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe they have about the same. Both my 92FS and M9 came with a polymer mag release, metal polymer covered trigger, polymer lanyard loop/hammer spring retaining piece, and polymer guide rod. The MDS mags have a polymer bottom but that's not neccessarily a bad thing as it does protect the bottoms from abrasion and metal finish wear. The other parts are so so and I still have most of them on both pistols even though I did buy a metal replacement kit. The only thing that had to go in my eyes were the polymer guide rods. I prefer the more rigid steel replacements that Wolff makes and like the added weight it gives to the front of the pistol even though small. Many seem to believe over at the Beretta Forum that the left side safety arm is polymer also, but I have never seen one that wasn't metal yet, but just heavily coated in Bruniton finish to appear like polymer to some. You will see some finish wear on it as time goes on as both mine have at the bottom of the round inside section of the trigger arm were it rubs the frame.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#2]
the 92 is essentially a metal frame gun.  the grip panels are plastic, as is the guide rod and lanyard loop.  Other than that everything else is metal, perhaps with a hefty dose of coating on it so it may seem plastic.

From what you describe you were handling a Vertec model 96.  I'm not sure if they have different plastic parts, but I would assume not.

If you want a plastic Beretta look at the PX4 or 90two.  The PX4 is all polymer frame and trigger.  the 90two has a metal frame into about half of the grip.  the lower part of the grip is plastic and extends up over the metal parts.

Beretta plastics are very high quality and I wouldnt worry about them.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard the triggers are now being made of plastic as well. True or not???????
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've heard the triggers are now being made of plastic as well. True or not???????

There a thinner metal inside than a traditional all steel Beretta trigger than they mold the polymer around it to complete the trigger. I like them actually. I'd wasn't sure at first, but the part seems strong and as with the other polymer parts, whether just polymer or polymer and steel, there won't be any finish wear and corrosion to worry about. I'm looking for a new compact here soon and if they made a more compact version of the PX4, I'd buy it no problem.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:08:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I just bought an older 92FS from my roommate who needed money.  It's all metal.  The only plastic parts are the grip panels.  I like that fact.

My Glock is supposed to be plastic...not my Beretta.  I think it's just a plan (by Beretta) to save money by swapping steel for plastic parts.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ok, i handled a beretta 96 today, i really liked the vertical "1911" ish grip on it.
Vertec model
but what got me was how much plastic was used in this gun. Do the 92's have less plastic? I mean, it even had a plastic trigger on it. I like metal in my guns, does the 92 have less plastic parts?
Dont sweat it.  My new 92FS has a plastic trigger (metal underneith), guide rod and mag release.  Considering Glock's done it for years I woulden't worry about it.  Mine's operated just fine.  The 92s at my unit are all metal but they still had the plastic mag release button.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:29:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you buy a metal replacement kit? If so, where?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can you buy a metal replacement kit? If so, where?

CDNN had some.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top