Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 4:45:38 PM EDT
Gentleman, first let me say that you guys are some of the smartest and no sh** kind of people when it comes to discussing your berettas. i have been doing the research and reading forums like they were going out of style getting myself educated on handguns, all makes and models. I am sold on a Beretta, my dad has one, brother, uncle has 4, cousin has 2, etc. i love 'em.

enough about that, i want a 92fs, and yeah i know the vertec is ugly(or so some think/say) but i kinda like it. i am not new to shooting but am new to buying a handgun, enlighten me about the differences between the vertec, brigadier(sp?), inox, M9, etc. mostly the way they feel, accuracy, dependability, cost, parts, and general biases that you guys have.

as a complete newb here let me say thanks in advance and that i do appreciate your opinion.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#1]
All the beretta 92's are essentially the same.  The function is all the same, as are reliability, parts costs, ect.

Here are the notable differences:

Vertec: Straight up and down grip provides a slight smaller trigger reach.  This may be helpful for people with small hands, though I personally just think it's ugly and uncomfortable.  There are some indications that the model has flopped and that resale value just may not be there.  If you PERSONALLY like the Vertec style, go for it, but don't be suprised if you dont get much out of it when you decide to let it go.

Brigadier: slightly shorter barrel that ends flush with the end of the slide.  The slide is also heavier.  The idea is to make a slightly more compact pistol and the heavier slide absorbs recoil.  I have personally never dealt with a Brig, so I have no opinion on it.  If you're interested, check it out.

EliteII:  Higher end version of the Bridadier pistol featuring all the features of the Brig.  It also features a skeletonized hammer and a D trigger spring (see 92D) and a 92G safety (decock only).  The D spring contribues to a lighter trigger pull for a double action shot, and the skeleton hammer provides a SLIGHTLY faster followup shot, but most shooters cant even tell the difference.  I have put the D spring and skeletonized hammer on my 92FS (the parts are interchangable)

Inox:  Exact same gun as its black counterpart, but in a silver, corrosion resistant finish.  If you like a silver pistol go for it, other than that, there's no real difference.

M9:  Military version of the 92FS pistol.  Functionally, mechanically, ect it is exactally the same.  The only difference between the two models (92fs and m9) besides the numbers stamped on the side is that the 92FS has a 3 dot sight system, while the M9 has a "dot the i" setup, though the physical sight posts are the same, it's just a matter of paint.  I personally own a 92FS and couldnt be happier with it.

92D: same function as the othr 92 pistols, with the exception that it is double action only.  It is distinguished by its spurless hammer that lies flush with the back of the slide.  Features a lighter hammer spring that gives a softer trigger pull for double action.  Many 92 owners (including me) put the D model spring in their pistols to get the lighter pull for double action.

92G:  Same as the 92FS with the exception that it does not have a manual safety.  The switch on the slide is a decock lever only, and will spring back to "fire" mode after manipulated.

I would suggest going to a gun show and/or range and handling as many different models of the 92 that you can get your hands on and picking the one you like best.  Good luck, and I'm sure you'll love whatever Beretta you decide on!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the breakdown.hail2.gif
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:32:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I don't care for too many models other than the standard 92FS. I don't want/need a light/accessory rail or other geegaws on my handguns. The 92FS balances wonderfully for me, shoots anything I put in it & is wonderfully accurate. Not much more I could want, IMO.

Changes I have made are: professional trigger job, trigger return spring replaced & lighter mainspring.

My .o2
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Gentleman, first let me say that you guys are some of the smartest and no sh** kind of people when it comes to discussing your berettas. i have been doing the research and reading forums like they were going out of style getting myself educated on handguns, all makes and models. I am sold on a Beretta, my dad has one, brother, uncle has 4, cousin has 2, etc. i love 'em.

enough about that, i want a 92fs, and yeah i know the vertec is ugly(or so some think/say) but i kinda like it. i am not new to shooting but am new to buying a handgun, enlighten me about the differences between the vertec, brigadier(sp?), inox, M9, etc. mostly the way they feel, accuracy, dependability, cost, parts, and general biases that you guys have.

as a complete newb here let me say thanks in advance and that i do appreciate your opinion.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#5]
my only issue with my vertec is that aftermarket grip panels and holsters are harder to come by than standard 92 ones
I kind of want some wood grip panels

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#6]
why are they harder to come by?

are those the plastic or rubber grips on your vertec?

also, whats this i hear about not having hogue grips for the vertec? is that true?by not having i mean that nobody makes them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
the vertec design is relatively new.  it is also nowhere near as popular as other design handguns (beretta and other).  These two factors serve to not be much motivation for companies like Hogue to R&D new grip styles.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
why are they harder to come by?

are those the plastic or rubber grips on your vertec?

also, whats this i hear about not having hogue grips for the vertec? is that true?
by not having i mean that nobody makes them.

the vertec grips are shaped a little differently. I haven't seen a side by side in person to see if regular 92 grip panels could be modified and still look ok
right now I just have the factory plastic ones.
Only reaosn I want some wood ones is for the look
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#9]
i prefer ivory on my gold plated 92
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:19:45 AM EDT
[#10]
was it just me or did i read somewhere on this forum( in another thread) that somebody made a set of hogue grips for a 92fs fit a vertec by using a dremel tool? is that feasable?

or are the people who own vertecs suppose to suffer with the "stock" plastic grips? (or wood/pearl/etc, just something other than hogue rubber).
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:23:45 AM EDT
[#11]
crimson trace laser grips evidently thought the vertec would be popular

also impact guns advertises a vertec hogue wrap-around
no pic though, impact guns is bad about not have pics

hogue vertec

RoseMech

edited to say that the grip is $45
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Brigadier does Not have a flush barrel.

It is standard length.

Plus it has a dovetailed front sight allowing for easier changeout.

Ber96 Brig
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Brigadier does Not have a flush barrel.

It is standard length.

Plus it has a dovetailed front sight allowing for easier changeout.

Ber96 Brig

+1

I too have a 96 Brigadier Inox.  Best looking Beretta IMO.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I took my Old Stainless 92FS out this weekend and love it. My vote is for old reliable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I found one other thing about the Brigs that is a dealbreaker for them.

The heavier slide doesnt fit in custom made 92 holsters!  I was at the gun show this weekend and tried to holster a Elite II (they have the brig slide) and it didnt fit! It's too wide.  You MIGHT be able to shoehorn it into a leather holster, but my kydex one was a nogo.

I'll stick to my good ole good ole
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The heavier slide doesnt fit in custom made 92 holsters!  

Well, no. It's bigger, sir!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top