Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 10:26:17 AM EDT
I shot a Beretta 92FS 9x19mm today at the local gun range and I must say what a sweet ass gun! There's hardly any recoil and it's the sweetest & smoothest 9mm handgun I've ever shot. It even fits in my hand like a glove.

I don't know why so many people out there hate Berettas so much...

Yeah I know., the XM-9 trials was very controversial but so what? Berettas are great weapons and I am very glad our armed forces are issued the Beretta 92FS.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:31:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Glad to hear you like the beretta.  The 92FS of today is far different from the guns used in the XM-9 trials.  If you search for articles via google, you'll find that they have made several key improvements to the 92 over the years that have made it one of the safest, most reliable, accurate, and downright beautiful guns in the world.

ETA:  Dont listen to the haters that say 9mm isn't an effective self defense/military round.  Let them line up to take a hit with it and see if they change their tune.  The 9mm is every bit as effective as anyone needs it to be.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The 92FS of today is far different from the guns used in the XM-9 trials.  

Would you be so kind as to list what is different about the new versions, please???????
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Good pistol.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:07:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 92FS of today is far different from the guns used in the XM-9 trials.  

Would you be so kind as to list what is different about the new versions, please???????

isn't the locking block stronger now, and some changes to keep the slide from coming off with over pressured ammo is used as some early ones had the slides come off and hurt the shooter
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

isn't the locking block stronger now, and some changes to keep the slide from coming off with over pressured ammo is used as some early ones had the slides come off and hurt the shooter

There was one change on the slide to prevent the urban legend "slide breakage" from hitting one in the face, but aside from that, there's no change to the functioning of the gun.

No idea about the locking block.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#8]
The changes to prevent the slide seperation:

Better metal used in the slide (poor metalurgy was partially blamed for the slide problem)

Larger head on the hammer pin prevents the slide from EVER comming off backward, so even if the slide DID fail (kaboom, or other) the slide could not separate and hit you in the face
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:41:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I've handled the XM9 in both Beretta and Sig versions.  They're slightly different, but I wouldn't call the changes significant in really being different guns or anything.  They're probably changes that would have evolved anyway, but the XM9 trials just accelerated evolution.

The differences between the current production 92FS and the XM9:

The markings
The dustcover on the current 92 is slanted (though the current M9's are still straight)
Some plastic parts, like guide rod and hammer return spring plug (don't know about current M9)
The locking block has a slightly different radius at the ears, increasing it's life
The hammer retention pin head is larger diameter to keep the slide on the frame if it does break in two
The slide has a relief cut milled in it to clear the larger hammer pin at the rear of the slide
The sights are painted different

As for the metalurgy, technically that hasn't changed.  Technically speaking, it changed and resulted in failed slides and then was changed back.  It wasn't an offical change to beign with, and was a mistake, so it really doesn't count as a change in my book.  That's like saying Ford (or Chevy if you wish) changed a couple seatbelts when they found some defective ones.  Yeah it was a change of "those seatbelts" but not a change of spec and not a real change in design, since the seatbelts should have been working to begin with as designed.

Really not that big a change over the years, and nothing that wouldn't be called evolution.  The P226 isn't the same either.  Heck, in addition to the "mud rails", they even changed the whole slide.  So it's pretty common for a gun to evolve due to perfromance and cost.  

As a side note, the big head pin does nothing to prevent slide breakage or separation.  All it does is keep it retained on the frame if it does break.  The change was requested and paid for by the Army, as it is a separate change to the design that was accepted.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot a 92FS today also at the range.  I used to not like them just based on what people here and elsewhere have said.  That being said, I'm finding that I really like them alot.  I like the way it feels in my hand, I can shoot it accurately, and it seems reliable. I'm really starting to think they're may be a 92FS purchase in my near future
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#11]
They are great pistols for sure and the statement "Smooth as silk" certainly applies to mine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Great guns.  Love mine.  I love it because it is predictable.  It eats everything I feed it, and goes bang every time.  I have made it jam by purposely linpwristing it, but other than that, it runs and runs.  it runs cold, it runs after 500 rounds in a session without cleaning.  

My only real bitch about mine is that it will require some serious gunsmithing to stuff some tritiums in it because the front sight is integral to the slide and I ain't up to drilling that little hole.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:01:30 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Great guns.  Love mine.  I love it because it is predictable.  It eats everything I feed it, and goes bang every time.  I have made it jam by purposely linpwristing it, but other than that, it runs and runs.  it runs cold, it runs after 500 rounds in a session without cleaning.  

My only real bitch about mine is that it will require some serious gunsmithing to stuff some tritiums in it because the front sight is integral to the slide and I ain't up to drilling that little hole.

Heh, I can't MAKE my 92 jam, no matter how hard I try.  I even had my girlfriend shoot it... no jams, so I had my queer friend shoot it..... still no jams with his limp wrist!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#14]

I don't know why so many people out there hate Berettas so much...

Usually it's the girlie men or the 1911 freaks that bitch a lot about the grip, or how the 92FS replaced their jamomatic weapon of choice. bunch of pansies.

I sure as hell love my 92FS
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

....or the 1911 freaks that bitch a lot about the grip, or how the 92FS replaced their jamomatic weapon of choice. bunch of pansies.

I sure as hell love my 92FS

OOOOOOH MAN!  You just shot the sacred cow!  You should know by now that ALL things 1911 are sacred and there is, of course, NOTHING ever wrong with the 1911.  It is flawless.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heh, I can't MAKE my 92 jam, no matter how hard I try.  I even had my girlfriend shoot it... no jams, so I had my queer friend shoot it..... still no jams with his limp wrist!

I consider myself poison for anything mechanical or electrical.  Anything that works perfectly out of the box and continues to do so for any length of time is a rarity in my world.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Great gun.  Smooth, has a true 5 in barrel (hard to find these days, cep't in a 1911).  Good trigger, light recoil (due to size).  Might be an older design, but who said old is bad?  Oh....just let the 1911 crowd try to debate that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Great gun.  Smooth, has a true 5 in barrel (hard to find these days, cep't in a 1911).  Good trigger, light recoil (due to size).  Might be an older design, but who said old is bad?  Oh....just let the 1911 crowd try to debate that.

Beretta specs say 4.9".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top