Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 9:39:40 PM EDT
A little while ago i read a post from someone (whose name escapes me) saying that they were going to experiment with their pistol.  

They had a skeletonized hammer and were going to cut coils off the mainspring until it started to consistently produce light primer strikes (and thus FTFire)

I havnt heard back on how that went, and am curious.

I just installed a D spring and skel hammer on my 92 and am curious to know how close I am to light primer strikes, though from what I have read on here, even with the light spring/hammer combo, my pistol should remain 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:39:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Your combination should be fine.  One of the high-end/high-dollar 92's uses the same combination and it has no problems with malfs.

Think about it: The 92D uses the D spring and a hammer that's even lighter than the skeleton (it doesn't even have a spur) and it's sold that way to many police departments.  There are no problems with reliability.

Basic wisdom is that the "D" spring is the floor that will still give you 100% Beretta reliability.  If you start clipping coils from it, or use a lighter M1911 sping (1911 mainsprings will also work in the 92) you will start to transgress into "target only-no defense" type use and probably start getting light hits.

Getting light hits would also depend on what ammo you're using, and other factors as well, so even once you're into the "target only" area, you could still have 100% reliability.  It just might not be 100% reliable with all ammo.

Right now, you should still have the same reliability as the stock 92FS.  It's only when you start getting really extreme that you'd see problems.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#2]
clipping off coils is STUPID! Not only do you change the spring weight in a non linier way but the ends of springs loop up(2 or 3 LOOPS OVERTOP EACH OTHER)TO MAKE FOR A STRONG MOUNTING POINT.NOT A BENT WIRE.THEIR TOO CHEAP NOT TO JUST CHANGE THEM.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top