Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 8:05:57 PM EDT
My girlfriend is not very gun friendly and is very concerned about my guns "going off".  My primary gun that I keep loaded and handy is my 92, so, thus it is the one she complains about the most.

Does anyone have any stories of a 92 being fired inadvertently?  I dont mean by someone accidently pulling the trigger, i mean more like it firing when dropped, or something else like that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you have a mechanical problem that needs repair, the only way any modern handgun like the 92 series is going to go off is for the trigger to be pulled after all the safeties have been turned off.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
+1
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:21:43 AM EDT
[#3]
+2 No pullie trigger no bangie.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:21:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I had to go through this with my family.  My Dad freaked out one time when I bent over to pick something up and my gun was pointed in his general direction (holstered, on my hip).

Finally I sat him down, and field stripped the gun and showed him the safety features.  It was a Daewoo dh40 (I gots a 92 now) but most of the features are the same, namely the trigger disconnect when the safety is engaged, the firing pin block safety, the manual safety, etc.  

I went through the workings of the safeties and showed how the gun could not possibly go off accidentally, and it finally sunk in.  I think it was more the demystification of the gun and showing that it was just another hunk of metal vs it being a magical weapon of death that did more then the anatomy lesson.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:58:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
a magical weapon of death

My Ex Girlfriend been talking about me again?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:13:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey if the girlfriend ever wants you to chose between her or the guns, you know what to do............right?

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:10:17 PM EDT
[#7]
but of course!

it's not a "you or the guns" thing, she just doesnt feel comfortable about guns in general.  I'd like to get her to start carrying, so I think the first step toward that is making her comfortable.  She's been shooting a few times with mixed feelings regarding it, but i want to try to make her enjoy the sport and at the same time get her to carry for her own protection
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I tell most anti-gunners to check out Smith & Wesson Cam for the truth.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#9]
My GF is a "long hair" hippie. She has had NO exposure to firearms before me, as well as a few other things........... Anyways, she used to always bitch about me keeping loaded weapons, especially carrying my M9, loaded with 16 rounds, everywhere I go. She was very uneasy about assault weapons also, especially that some of these were kept loaded and that I own several.
She has had little to no experience with guns, so seeing a loaded AR15 or AK in the back of my truck was probably intimidating. The trick was to get her involved. I always take the time to carefully explain operation and safety features of vairous weapons. She eventually got curious and now fully accepts guns and desperatly wants to go shooting sometime. It took some time and

energy, but she came around....I would take her shooting sometime, but she is extremely reckless and klutzy. She cannot go more than ten minutes without tripping, bumping her head or spilling/dropping something. I just got done cleaning one of my handguns when she asked if she could pick it up and look at it....I triple checked to make sure it was clear and obliged. While doing so, I explained the concept of muzzle discipline several times. The first thing she did was neglegently wave the muzzle in my face. I finally forgave her and allowed her to handle another unloaded weapon months later, with even more warning and she promptly did the same thing. Not exactly someone I want to go shooting with or near.....hey, at least she's pretty.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My GF is a "long hair" hippie. She has had NO exposure to firearms before me, as well as a few other things........... Anyways, she used to always bitch about me keeping loaded weapons, especially carrying my M9, loaded with 16 rounds, everywhere I go. She was very uneasy about assault weapons also, especially that some of these were kept loaded and that I own several.
She has had little to no experience with guns, so seeing a loaded AR15 or AK in the back of my truck was probably intimidating. The trick was to get her involved. I always take the time to carefully explain operation and safety features of vairous weapons. She eventually got curious and now fully accepts guns and desperatly wants to go shooting sometime. It took some time and

energy, but she came around....I would take her shooting sometime, but she is extremely reckless and klutzy. She cannot go more than ten minutes without tripping, bumping her head or spilling/dropping something. I just got done cleaning one of my handguns when she asked if she could pick it up and look at it....I triple checked to make sure it was clear and obliged. While doing so, I explained the concept of muzzle discipline several times. The first thing she did was neglegently wave the muzzle in my face. I finally forgave her and allowed her to handle another unloaded weapon months later, with even more warning and she promptly did the same thing. Not exactly someone I want to go shooting with or near.....hey, at least she's pretty.

Yikes!!!!!!!  You are a patient man.  Hippy, anti gunner, lousy gun handling skills.  I'll pray for you.  Maybe your influence will win in the end.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top