Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2005 5:18:28 AM EDT
I was having problem shooting my vertec, so I ask my FFL dealer what he think it might worth to get rid of it. He didn't even want to look at it, told me he is not interested and the 92s are going out of favor.  I won't get much for it.

Is that true? I have a verec with rail, but I don't see the new models coming out with rails? and I read about Sig winning government contracts etc...

It seemed true that for a LNIB $650 gun that I paid for in 2004 it won't fetch me anything more than $400-430, shipped, if the right buyer finds me! ( I see Ordnance Outlet sells NIB for $480 or something)

The discussion is: since then (about 4 months ago), I have gotten better trigger technique and stared to like the 92, so I won't mind keeping it. BUT,  if I want another gun I'll need to sell it for $$.

1. Keep it, save up $ and buy the next gun at a later date.

2. Sell it, use the $ and buy the next "object of desire". Thinking that this 92 will worth less in the future... get what I can now...

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep it, and save up.  Trust me, you'll regret getting rid of it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Keep it, and save up.  Trust me, you'll regret getting rid of it.

I agree with the Sarge here.

The few guns I have sold, I have regretted

The 92 is a classic, and one that many years from now will still have that special quality

I'd add that 10-20 years from now, the $400 or so you would get would be a bargain for such a gun

Keep it and save up
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep it & use it for IPSC or 3-Gun. Hi-caps are cheap now, so stock up.

The reason for the slow sales is its size & your aforementioned rail accesory option or the lack thereof.

I love my 92FS, it's wonderfully accurate, smooth, light recoiling. It makes a great teaching gun for novice shooters as it has mild 9mm recoil.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I 've already set my mind to keep it, just wanted to hear from others.

It IS a great gun to shoot, smooth recoil, the trigger is much less to be desired, but I do like the rest of this piece.

thanks for the inputs, now I just have to deal with the wife "why" I didn't sell this gun AND looking at buying another one..  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#5]
92F/FS's have been out for almost 20 years now.  I love 'em.   Since they've been around so long they're fairly common too, so the supply of used ones are plentiful as well.  

Now I did have a hard time finding a nice minty 92FS Centurion but finally got one about 5 weeks ago for $400 off EE no less  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=15&t=23147

I have a 92F, 92FS commerative, 92FS Centurion, 96F Centurion, and 96F stainless, oh and the first series of M9
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
theyve fallen out of favor because theyre not the latest cool guy weapon. that and soldiers always hate whatever they given. you could take a soldier or Marine and issue him the paraclete rig of your dreams and he would say it sucks.

if you ask a grunt:

"the beretta sucks"
"the M-16 sucks"
"the humvee sucks"
"MOLLE sucks"
"MREs suck"

its been that way im sure since napolean. but now we have the internet. so it spreads like wildfire. "my buddy who knows someone who's brother fought in iraq said his beretta sucks, you shouldnt buy one"
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
theyve fallen out of favor because theyre not the latest cool guy weapon. that and soldiers always hate whatever they given. you could take a soldier or Marine and issue him the paraclete rig of your dreams and he would say it sucks.

if you ask a grunt:

"the beretta sucks"
"the M-16 sucks"
"the humvee sucks"
"MOLLE sucks"
"MREs suck"

its been that way im sure since napolean. but now we have the internet. so it spreads like wildfire. "my buddy who knows someone who's brother fought in iraq said his beretta sucks, you shouldnt buy one"

Not all of them, because some soldiers actually find favor with them, and they've worked for them under combat conditions.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I got one, just cuz i have all the spare parts and can fixem and its my duty weapon.  
I would trade it , but that would be like getting rid of your first real gun or first playboy, and I cant bear the thought of getting rid of it.  That and the fact that I have enough parts to last through a comet impact and over 20 hi caps for it...
Keep it, you wont be sorry.
aside from some of the mags, it has never not gone bang when I pull the trigger...
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:53:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It IS a great gun to shoot, smooth recoil, the trigger is much less to be desired,

A decent trigger job will quickly cure that, IMO.

now I just have to deal with the wife "why" I didn't sell this gun AND looking at buying another one..  

Shit, you & everyone else at one time or another!!!!!    
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]
a 92fs was my first handgun-bought it right after turning 21....5+ years and countless rounds later, it has never let me down. it always feeds and always fires. i wouldn't trade it for anything.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#11]
know what you mean. my dad got one for me 2 years ago at the gun show when i was 14 (yes, i know..a little young for a pistol). the only time it has never fed was when my younger cuzin was shootin it and was limp-wristing it. even then all you had to do was push the slide forward a little..one of the most accurate and most reliable pistols i have ever shot. couldn't get rid of it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I think U mean - "out of favor."

Anyway, I have had a black 92FS since 1998. I love it.

I bought a stainless (Inox) Vertec early last year. It was a beautiful gun, but it just was not accurate for me. It shot all over the paper for me, even at 7 yards. I couldn't take it anymore and finally sold it at a gun show. I paid $650 for it in Feb 05 I believe (it was a bit more because it was stainless). I only got $525 for it at the gun show. That was the best I could do.

The Vertec doesn't seem to have much interest lately - I have heard that Beretta may discontinue it soon. as for the standard 92FS - I think they are still popular. But remember, they are also cheaper than the Vertec. Last summer, I saw NEW regular shaped 92FS Berettas selling for $499. So, it's hard to get a decent price for used ones.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not keeping up with the 92 models, so the one I got, the "vertec" - with rail, is a Beretta flop? I only noticed that they didn't make any "vertec" after I bought mine in 2004.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Take the advice above.  Don't sell - you'll regret it.  Just buy a bigger safe.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:15:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I was thinking about getting rid of my stainless 92 but decided to keep it. I simply asked my self why? Its reliable, accurate, lots of parts available, cheap mags and although a little large comfortable for me and smooth as butter. It is a great pistol to take to a class and run lots of ammo through it or compete with it. Every one is complaining about large hanguns but I hate small ones. The reason it may have fallen in favor is the way some people buy firearms. They have to have the latest and greatest even if the latest is not the greatest. They are more concerned what they are seen with at the range then how they perform.  As was said no matter what pistol the military had the majority would complain because thats what people do is complain and moan.
Keep your 92 and enjoy it since it is one of the finest handguns ever produced. 17rds of 9mm +p is no joke.

Edit: It will be a cold July in Utah before I trade my 92 for a PX4.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:25:52 AM EDT
[#16]
FWIW, the fact that 92s have suffered from slide failures was always enough to sour me on them as a handgun choice.

www.thegunzone.com/m9-a.html

The though of catching the slide "in one's face" is not an aspect of shooting I would ever want to experience.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:58:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like a typical dealer response so he can give you next to nothing. If you sell it, sell it pvt'ly, you'll get more.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
FWIW, the fact that 92s have suffered from slide failures was always enough to sour me on them as a handgun choice.

The though of catching the slide "in one's face" is not an aspect of shooting I would ever want to experience.

Mike

Just curious. Does any one know if this has happened to any civilians while shooting there pistols. Also has anyone shot their 92 over 5000 rounds and what problems have you had?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Mike

Have you ever seen this happen?  Word I got it was from shooting ultra hot military ammo.  

The guy on the AGI video Series for gunsmithing addresses this and pretty much stated he's seen all kinds of different model guns slides break.  Even the 1911.  He pretty much downplays it.  And I doubt Beretta gave him money to, he's s gunsmith teacher and tells you what he likes and dislikes about every model he works on and is very informative and seems pretty objective.  It think it's hype.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:43:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Slides were breaking at the locking block cutouts...it was due to a rare element in the steel called Turellium or some such thing, but has been corrected for a long time.  The "S" in 92FS indicates a modification was added to the pistol to retain the back of the slide if it did ever break.

MBR
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Slides were breaking at the locking block cutouts...it was due to a rare element in the steel called Turellium or some such thing, but has been corrected for a long time.  The "S" in 92FS indicates a modification was added to the pistol to retain the back of the slide if it did ever break.

MBR

I heard something like that too, but wasn't sure of the details.  No matter what, the more I handle my M9, the more I like it.  It fits me well.  And regardless of the controversy, I like the 9mm round.  I think my next purchase will be some of that 124 grain fmj nato loaded stuff on outdoor marksman.  That really isn't a bad price.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:20:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Just curious. Does any one know if this has happened to any civilians while shooting there pistols. Also has anyone shot their 92 over 5000 rounds and what problems have you had?

Originally Posted By  JJREA:
Have you ever seen this happen? Word I got it was from shooting ultra hot military ammo.

The guy on the AGI video Series for gunsmithing addresses this and pretty much stated he's seen all kinds of different model guns slides break. Even the 1911. He pretty much downplays it. And I doubt Beretta gave him money to, he's s gunsmith teacher and tells you what he likes and dislikes about every model he works on and is very informative and seems pretty objective. It think it's hype.

Look guys, don't shoot the messenger here, a question was asked about Beretta 92s, I told ya why I won't own one and posted 1 article documenting actual incidents of slide fracturing, (which I take it neither of ya bothered to read).

There's this neat Internet tool called "search-engines", just incase your unaware, MSN, Google, Dogpile, the actual number of 'em I don't even know, but YOU can both do your own research to determine whether the article I linked above has merit or not, (it dang sure ain't the only one out there).

Mike

ps - here's a tip though any article claiming a "fatality" from this Beretta metalurgy flaw is for certain bogus, as noted in the link above.........
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you ever seen this happen? Word I got it was from shooting ultra hot military ammo.

The guy on the AGI video Series for gunsmithing addresses this and pretty much stated he's seen all kinds of different model guns slides break. Even the 1911. He pretty much downplays it. And I doubt Beretta gave him money to, he's s gunsmith teacher and tells you what he likes and dislikes about every model he works on and is very informative and seems pretty objective. It think it's hype.

Look guys, don't shoot the messenger here, a question was asked about Beretta 92s, I told ya why I won't own one and posted 1 article documenting actual incidents of slide fracturing, (which I take it neither of ya bothered to read).

There's this neat Internet tool called "search-engines", just incase your unaware, MSN, Google, Dogpile, the actual number of 'em I don't even know, but YOU can both do your own research to determine whether the article I linked above has merit or not, (it dang sure ain't the only one out there).

Mike

ps - here's a tip though any article claiming a "fatality" from this Beretta metalurgy flaw is for certain bogus, as noted in the link above.........

I have read that article.  I read it before I purchased my M9 and just read it again.  Notice the date on it.  It is over a decade old.

Here's the story on that:
Bad metal was causing failures on SOME pistols when they got around 30 THOUSAND rounds fired through them.  Those rounds fired were the hot NATO rounds, which compounded the problem.  What would happen is that the slide would fail and fly backward, hitting the shooter in the face.  Though it cause some nasty cuts, there were no reports of fatalities.  This was on the FIRST MODEL OF THE 92 ADOPED BY THE DoD!

Those first models were produced in Italy by Beretta using steel from France.  This steel contained the element Tellurium (spelling?)  The Te was added to make the finishing process more uniform, but effected the hardness of the steel negatively.  The DoD identified this problem, and it was corrected on subsequent pistols, including ALL ones produced in the USA.

In addition to correcting metalurgical problems, Beretta added an additional feature (the "S"in 92FS) that prevented the slide from flying backward in the off chance of a slide failing.  If you remove the left grip on your M9, you will notice the head of the hammer pin is about 3/4" in diamater.  The edge of this pin extends up beyond the grip and into the slide track.  This effectivly prevents the slide from moving backward past it's designed travel (every documented failure of the slide occured at a point beyond the normal travel, more toward the front of the slide)

As you can see, this problem has been COMPLETELY corrected, and no reports of slide failures have been documented since.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You would have better odds being Paris Hilton's next husband than catching a 92 slide in the face, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I got a stainless 92fs for my 21st birthday a few years ago and another one since, and as far as I can remember, they are the only weapons that have NEVER given me any sort of problem whatsoever...your mileage may vary.  I don't think I'll ever have anything bad to say about them, and I won't hear anything bad other people say either.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You would have better odds being Paris Hilton's next husband than catching a 92 slide in the face, IMO.

I would rather catch a slide in the face.

I wouldnt touch that skank with Bill Clinton's dick.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

You know you can be a pain in the ass sometimes.  Why are you taking that tone with us?  I'm sure everyone here knows what a search engine is. And maybe this whole slide cracking thing is new news to you but it's not to probably most of us in here.  Just because YOU decided not to buy one because of this information doesn't make the rest of us idiots.  Because that's what it kind of seems like you're saying.  Now, I understand you may be trying to substantiate a claim for the "out of favor" comment made by the original poster.  I think however that  will differ with who you talk to.   I believe he did state that the person who told him this "out of favor" thing was a gun store person.  Which, in my experience have always been highly trained, and well knowledged gun people (that was sarcasm) .  

You probably don't think this is possible but soldiers are using the M9 with success over in far away places.  It still is the #1 issued sidearm for the US Forces.  And they do get used.  If this slide failure was such a huge problem, wouldn't we still be seeing this on a regular basis??  Or is it that now that you've read one article about M9's you are now an expert on these firearms?  Because the M16 has a spotless history of never having any problems.  And the M4.  And any other arm produced for the military that sees heavy use.  They've all worked flawlessly from the beginning.  Yeah.  Like he said, you got more chances of shacking up with Paris than that being true.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know it's weird, but I thinks she's hot for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#29]
no offense, but did you get hit in the head with a slide and not know it?

Paris Hilton is living proof that ANYONE will look good if you attach enough money to them.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
no offense, but did you get hit in the head with a slide and not know it?

Paris Hilton is living proof that ANYONE will look good if you attach enough money to them.

I know, I know.  But nevertheless, still the truth.  Alright, what kind do you go for?  Rosie O'Donnel?  He he he he he he
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#31]
but of course.  i cant get enough fatass bulldyke liberals
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not the words I would have chosen but you captured the sentiment perfect. I would be a monk before I married her or Rosie Fatdonald.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#33]
is there a correlation between the amount of money you own and your, shall we say, skankiness?

oh the irony that the more they have the nastier/stupider(word?) they get. which at times is a real drag.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Was in the gun shop today looking at potential purchases and spoke with a guy who used one for several years prior to his retiring from the police force.  He was completely sold on them.  Went over a few of the basic features, let me look it over, etc.  Supposedly, many of the local area LEO agencies are currently using them such as Clayton (suburb of St. Louis) and St. Louis city.

I was pretty impressed (not that it takes that much since I'm still learning).  I was pretty certain before I went in there that I wasn't going to get another 9mm since I already have an H&K USPC but now I'm not so sure.  It was nice to hold a non-polymer frame for once.

There was something in the back of my mind though that kept telling me I had run across bad press in GD regarding the Beretta and the slide issue mentioned in this thread and one other must have been what I was remembering.  I don't think I'll let the slide issue bother me too much after I've learned the facts of the matter.  I'm going to make it back and test fire the rental they have at the range and if I like it I'll probably pick one up.

ETA:  Clayton is actually outside of the City of St. Louis so I don't guess that makes it a "suburb" but you get the point.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Was in the gun shop today looking at potential purchases and spoke with a guy who used one for several years prior to his retiring from the police force.  He was completely sold on them.  Went over a few of the basic features, let me look it over, etc.  Supposedly, many of the local area LEO agencies are currently using them such as Clayton (suburb of St. Louis) and St. Louis city.

I was pretty impressed (not that it takes that much since I'm still learning).  I was pretty certain before I went in there that I wasn't going to get another 9mm since I already have an H&K USPC but now I'm not so sure.  It was nice to hold a non-polymer frame for once.

There was something in the back of my mind though that kept telling me I had run across bad press in GD regarding the Beretta and the slide issue mentioned in this thread and one other must have been what I was remembering.  I don't think I'll let the slide issue bother me too much after I've learned the facts of the matter.  I'm going to make it back and test fire the rental they have at the range and if I like it I'll probably pick one up.

ETA:  Clayton is actually outside of the City of St. Louis so I don't guess that makes it a "suburb" but you get the point.

The only two things that I realy do not care for on mine is the double action trigger pull but it is OK and the front sight is machined into the slide which is not that big of a deal either. It is a great pistol and I have never heard of a slide coming off on a civilian which is why I asked the question erlier in this thread so it was more of a statement than a question however it could have happened but  how long ago and how many times. I think you will like it. I shoot a lot better with my 92 than I did with my USP9MM.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:02:40 AM EDT
[#36]
If a rare weapon malfunction is enough to keep you away, might want to reconsider driving an automobile :)

I don't know about this slide malfunction but I have put well over 20K rounds through the same M9 and never had a problem.  I have owned the same 92FS for over a decade and never a problem either.  Both have been very dependable.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:08:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The only two things that I realy do not care for on mine is the double action trigger pull...

If you don't like the DA pull on the stock 92FS, replace the hammer spring with the "D" model spring.  It's a 5 minute job and VASTLY improves the DA pull.  I did it on mine and it makes a world of difference.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:53:00 AM EDT
[#38]
one of the few actual SEALs (yes, i know- roll your eyes) I met was named Tom and owned Marksman in Tucson for awhile.  He said he had over 100k in his 92f and it had never failed him.  said he had a bunch of fancy 1911's but if he had to pick just one pistol the Beretta would be it.  had some pretty cool awards and pics on the wall of his shop, apparently he was a CO of a couple of the teams.  

i shoot mine IDPA and 3gun, the G model used that CDNN was selling a little while back.  it's got nasty marks on the finish and it's never failed with good mags, i go 100 rounds + every time i take it out and i'm sure i have thousands through it total.  

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only two things that I realy do not care for on mine is the double action trigger pull...

If you don't like the DA pull on the stock 92FS, replace the hammer spring with the "D" model spring.  It's a 5 minute job and VASTLY improves the DA pull.  I did it on mine and it makes a world of difference.

I did replace the hammer spring not long ago and it helped. It is still not my favorite DA trigger but I love the pistol and am going to go shoot it today as a matter of fact. So get the ambulance ready to pull the slide out of my face. LOL. The 92 is a fantastic firearm.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#40]
I love mine. But hey, everyone has their likes and dislikes. Don't my photography skills suck?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:07:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Well I went and shot my 92 today and the slide did not fly off or anything. Had a great time and love the pistol more than ever. I put the Wolff trigger spring, a 15lb recoil spring and a lighter hammer spring in since the last time I shot it and it handled very well. No malfunctions even with the cheapo eagle mag.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Well I went and shot my 92 today and the slide did not fly off or anything.

Maybe if you applied yourself a bit more...................??????????????    
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#43]
LOL.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I picked up a 92fs because of two reasons.  Cheap, cheap mags, and it's a sweet shooting, accurate gun.  Soft recoil, cheap ammo, what else could you want.  I also bought a g17 (my truck gun).  Glock and HK are my only SD guns, but I'd turn to the 92 if I didn't have an HK or a Glock (I find that I am more accurate, and comfortable with the controls/lack thereof with the Glock and HK).  The only thing that I don't like about the Beretta 92, is that Damn slide mounted safety.  I hate slide mounted safeties.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I picked up a 92fs because of two reasons.  Cheap, cheap mags, and it's a sweet shooting, accurate gun.  Soft recoil, cheap ammo, what else could you want.  I also bought a g17 (my truck gun).  Glock and HK are my only SD guns, but I'd turn to the 92 if I didn't have an HK or a Glock (I find that I am more accurate, and comfortable with the controls/lack thereof with the Glock and HK).  The only thing that I don't like about the Beretta 92, is that Damn slide mounted safety.  I hate slide mounted safeties.  

So don't use it.  Actually, I'm kind of serious.  All I do is decock mine, take it off safe and holster it.  It's no different than having a double action revolver holstered.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Or just get a 92D or 92G.  There is no safety to worry about!  The 92D does not have a safety lever and simply counts on a heavy DA pull to prevent ND, and the 92G's slide mounted switch is a decock lever ONLY and will not function as a safety, therefore, nothing to disengage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top