Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 3:49:05 PM EDT
Well this is for the guys that own the 20rd beretta 92 series mags. Also known as the 93R mags.

I need an exact measurement from someone. I have been using my 92 for USPSA/IPSC matches, with my 15rd mags in the limited class. A thought occurred to me. Why not use 20rd mags. The mag length has to fall into a specific length to be legal. This is why you cannot use 30rd mags.

Anyway if anyone or two of you that own these mags could you please measure them for me??

The length must be measured from the back of the base pad to the top of the back of the feed lips.
Please see page 108 of the rule book for instructions on measuring. Please provide the measurement in inches. Please be exact.

If someone could help me out it would be great. I would be happy to buy some 20rd mags anyway, but this is an added incentive to get them.

Thanks
Todd
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:38:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It's longer than the allowed 140mm mag limit in the limited class, so forget that idea.
On the other hand, you may just want to find a base exstender for the factory mags that keeps you under you in the 140MM limit.

On the mec-gars, you can get 17 rounds in the mag, but will have problems seating the mag on a locked slide.

Now one last question, why are you running a minor in the limited class?  Are you such a good shot that you don't have to worry about the point lose out of the A Zone?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:58:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I shoot minor because 9mm is a minor power factor. Unless I am missing something I must shoot minor.
I only own one major PF semi-auto pistol and at this point I don't care to shoot my 1911 in competition. For one I am working out all the bugs with it and the equipment. Second I like to be the only Beretta shooter at matches. If there is a way to shoot major with my 92, I am all ears.

Todd
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]
To use the 92 as a major, you need to change it out to a 96 (CDNN has the kits).  
Bottom line is there used to be a time when you could use/load 9 to MPF and run the class, but due to more than a few pistols coming apart from the hot loads, they now have gone to the 40 as the smallest cal to be a MPF.  The really funny part of all this was the old MPF used to be 175 in USPSA (when guys where blowing up pistols), and now with it lowered to 165, it way easier to load MPF safely in the 9 platform.

As for running the 92 in limited, I can say with great conviction, it's totally the wrong pistol for that class.  The DA trigger pull first pull, compounded by the long SA pull does not lead to consistent fast runs. For a mag round count, my double wide 40 mags top off with 19 rounds, and as stated, every shot that is out of the A zone is losing you points compared to someone shooting the same target zones, but using a MPF.

To keep is simple, if you are going to run the 92, keep the pistol in the production class where it belongs.

P.S. Just so you know, I do own a 92, and have used the pistol for the production class.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I have decided already that I will finish up the season in Ltd-m and next season I will shoot the 92 in production. I am also in the beginings of shooting in revolver class, which should be a hoot. I think I will if I can shoot my Kimber in the ltd-10 class next season as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top