Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2005 5:19:48 PM EDT
Hi, I was looking at pistols for a good price and I've found that Beretta 92D's go for around $270-290. Do they make a good first buy pistol? I don't care so much about safety since I was getting a glock. I just want a reliable shooter to go through a lot of rounds. I'm pretty clueless about pistols to let you guys know...
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#1]
For the money its a very good buy, but I dont think a DAO pistol is the best gun for someone to learn basic handgun skills.  The lack of a functioning safety and the long DAO trigger pull might create handling skills and habits that will be a detriment when using a pistol of conventional design.
However, if you have extensive experience shooting DA revolvers a DAO might not be a bad idea.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#2]
My house gun is a 92D Centurion. In my opinion, the 92D has the smoothest double action pull of all conventional DAO trigger mechanisms--it is a long pole (true D.A.), but VERY smooth. This is the second one i've owned, and have handled several others--they all have been identical in this respect. I think you would be happy and it would serve you well.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:51:03 AM EDT
[#3]
"Do they make a good first buy pistol?"

Actually, I favor a revolver for the fist pistol. They are easy to learn and easy to use.

It really is a matter of what you feal comfortable with.

The nice thing about a DAO is that it is easier to use. The trigger pull is consistent with every pull. You don't have to worry about decokcing when you are done. The bad thing is that if you buy another Double/single you will have to learn the adjustment. (Muscle memory)

Most cops that I spoke to that had the DAO loved it. They transitioned from revolvers many years ago to them. Most of the Deputies bought them when the agency switched to Glock.

What I like about the Beretta is that is forgiving. The trigger pull on a glock is 5 lbs at .5 inch. The beretta DAO is about 10 and the pull is a lot longer.

I carry the 92fs at work after having transitioned from the Smith and Wesson model 15. I really had to give it a lot of thought.

I was torn between 2 weapons. (Sig and Beretta)I carried the M9 in the military. I decided on the Beretta. Now the question was if I wanted DAO. I decided against it only because I was familiar with the action of the 92fs.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I like my 92D...I got a hell of a deal on it a few years back NIB w/ Trij NS out the door for $400.  Never had a problem w/ it.  It is a long pull, but it's the nicest smooth DAO 7lb pull I have ever shot.  Shoots nice groups.  I don't shoot it as much as my other handguns, but I would not get rid of it either.   I have seen some sub $300 VG used 92D around and was thinking of getting another just for fun. I can't see why these are soooo cheap. They shoot as well as either of my Glock 9mms and a friends Sig 226.  Not as well as my P7s, but I could buy 3 or 4 92D for one P7M13.

FB
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top