Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2005 4:38:26 AM EDT
BEFORE YOU GO OFF AND SAY, "WHOA... DON'T CARRY THAT... GET SOMETHING SMALLER!"  JUST READ BELOW.
----------

I'm still new to these forums and I'm gradually making my way around and getting to know it some more.  I had no idea this one board existed.  Damn this site is sweet!  Ok... enough w/ the "Ode to ARFCOM."  he and it's going to be my "Conceal Carry".  I submitted my application 2 weeks ago and expect my permit probably in another 2-months or so.  Hopefully sooner but I doubt it.  At the moment however I've been carrying it loaded in my glove box due to 790.25 in the Florida Statutes allowing me to do so.  It never leaves the car beyond that.  Once I get my permit however, as I said above, I will be carrying my 92FS on me.  I know I know... some of you might say, "Dude, it's too big to carry.  Get something more compact.  That's just dumb."   I'm not here for those types of statements or for recommendations on what else to carry.  It's much appreciated for your concern, however it will go in one ear and out the other as far as this thread is concerned.

In summary, What in your opinion would be the best holster to carry this on my person and why?  I've done so much research on different holsters it's sickening.  I think I've come to the conclusion of Uncle Mike's Vertical Shoulder Harness or some other type of shoulder harness however I still am doing more research.

Shoot me some ideas guys on any experience you might have, people you know who might carry a 92FS, or just babble what you think would be a nice route to take.  If able to do so, please provide links.  

Thanks in advance everyone!  There's also no need to qoute my whole thread, just go at it and reply.
----------

Pay homage to the AR and Beretta.  LOL

http://home.comcast.net/~tomandkatie/Picture_014.jpg
----------

http://home.comcast.net/~tomandkatie/MormonComputerZ_Sig_01.jpg
Rest in Peace SuprNova.  We Will Never Forget!
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The 92fs is an excellent carry piece!

If you go with a shoulder holster, you will need a jacket or something to cover it.  Check your clothing options since Florida can get rather warm.

I use Kramer IWBs for all my carry pieces except for the one VM2 I have.
http://www.kramerleather.com/
http://www.miltsparks.com/

If you go with a belt holster, remember that a good belt is just as important as the holster.
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 1:30:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending upon how big/tall you are, it may be very easy to carry a 92FS.  Plenty of people out there carry full-size steel-framed 1911-type pistols all the time.  One thing to consider if you are going to carry concealed is practicing with the holster you are going to use so you can become proficient with the draw stroke and build up confidence.

I haven't been to a civilian range yet that would allow shooters to practice using a shoulder holster.  The draw stroke requires you to muzzle sweep everything around you... they all consider this a major safety violation.  Just another thing to think about before you plop down some cash on a holster rig that may or may not be allowed at your local range.

I'm with JosephK, IWB is usually the best solution for concealed carry.  I would recommend a Kydex holster since the weather and your body would be pretty hard on leather.

-Randy
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm familiar with Kramer's website but I guess I haven't really put as much research into it as I thought since you guys both endorsed Kramers IWB.  I'm seriously considering this.  Here's a question that has been running through my head to those of you who wear IWB.

When standing erect, I can see how this would work, but let's say I sit down, per say going out to eat somewhere and I have this on my right side.  Does the holster/sidearm get uncomfortable?  Is there a noticable "bulge" on the side of your leg?  You guys may have me leaning torwards Kramer's IWB.  

Also, anyone have any experience with Shoulder Harnesses?

Once again, thanks in advance!

Link Posted: 3/6/2005 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Mostly, shoulder holsters just look cool in movies and are a decent way to carry a heavy revolver outside your clothing when hunting. I have tried several over the years and have never found one that suited ME worth a damn...you may be different, but given the numbers of guys I know who have tried and rejected them, most likely you are not.

For me the wide body guns are not real comfortable inside the waistband, so I tend to use close fitting OWB holsters for them. Still, I agree that if I needed to pack a 92 for CCW where iI needed deep concealment, I would probably go with an IWB holster...but my choice would be the Sparks VMII
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#5]
so far I only have a cheap holster for CCW with my 92fs vertec
www.uncle-mikes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=2780053&catky=3407251&subcatky1=4548802&subcatky2=2000017
but it works for now. I do need a better holsters though as the uncle mike's one collapses when the gun isn't in it which makes it neccessary to use both hands to reholster it
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
When standing erect, I can see how this would work, but let's say I sit down, per say going out to eat somewhere and I have this on my right side.  Does the holster/sidearm get uncomfortable?  Is there a noticable "bulge" on the side of your leg?

Nothing is anywhere near the side of your leg.  The IWB holster is worn slightly behind the right hip for a right handed shooter, and the muzzle on a long-barrelled pistol like the Beretta only drops maybe 5" or 6" below the top of your pants, depending upon design.  You wallet is lower and presents more of a bulge if worn in the rear pocket.  The pistol rides relatively high and close to your body.

-Randy
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 8:34:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I carried a 92G Elite for about 3yrs IWB.  If you don't know the Elite uses the wider 1oz heavier Brigadier slide.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 8:55:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm converted guys.  I'm going IWB thanks to everything that you all said.  I think what put me over the edge was you Randy and explaining where the handgun actually "rides".  Good stuff.  I'm already excited and I don't even know which exact one to purchase yet but I know the route I'm taking.

Thanks tons guys!  Gotta love the World's Library!  What can't you learn on the net?
Link Posted: 3/9/2005 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry a 96 .40cal in a Galco Royal Guard holster with no probs
I think the beretta is a excellent carry gun
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 2:23:15 AM EDT
[#10]
If you like it and can conceal it then what is the problem. Tell those other guys to carry their micros but you want something that fills your hand. Ha I would look for a comfortable IWB holster and spend some money on a good one. I carry a Steyer S-40 and that is the smallest I can go. I can not carry a gun that will not fill my hand up. If my pinky cant wrap around it it is a no go for me. Just the opinion of an opinionated Red Neck from the river bottoms of southern IN.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 3:43:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I can not carry a gun that will not fill my hand up.

I'm right there with you Khan!
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#12]
  I just shot my new 1911 to day. As soon as it is broken in it will most likely be one of my carry guns. It may be dumb to some but I like a larger wepon. Just like racking the slide on a pump 12ga is intimidating so is looking at a 5" .45.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#13]
www.comp-tac.com

The CTAC is the best goddamn holster I have ever had. I carried my USP .45F in it, no problems. I'm 6'1", 160 pounds. People told me no way I could conceal a USP .45F.  Once I scrape together some cash I'm getting one for my 92FS.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 9:11:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats the spirit guys! Who else around carrys a real firearm!
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#15]
www.pagerpal.com

I've had the same problem with trying to conceal my 92 until this weekend.  I was at the local gun show and saw a booth with some random AR parts laying around.  They dealer asked me if I wanted to conceal my gun (which I had in a standard OWB hip holster).  I said "Sure, why not?".  He was wearing a tucked in T-Shirt and jeans that fit accordingly.  He then produces his carry gun and I had NO idea that he was even packing.  I ended up buying one because it will fit my Kimber Ultra Carry II as well as the 92FS.  The other guy working the booth had a USP concealed under some slacks.  There will be a slight buldge with a full size frame, but most guys aren't looking at your crotch.  It takes a bit to get used to, but in the long run, I think it might serve your purpose.  This is just my opinion, and I could be wrong.    Happy Shooting!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:  I DO NOT IN ANY WAY WORK FOR OR REPRESENT PAGER PAL OR AM I AFFILIATED WITH THEM IN ANY WAY.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#16]
  Looks neat. I wear a safari vest in the summer and would even if I was not carrying. So concealment is not a problem for me. Any good IWB holster works well for me as long as the gun does not go past my knee. LOL That padger pal would be great if you worked in an office where you would be way out of place with a vest on though. If I got caught with a gun at work though the security police would rub my face in the pavement and jump up and down on my head.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top