Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2012 12:39:36 PM EDT
i've got a stainless model with the fixed rear sights.

after testing several different types of ammo, it always shoots to the left and i want to adjust the sight.

has anyone had any luck with drifting the sight with a brass punch?
i haven't, mine is on there very tight and won't budge. penetrating oil and pb-blaster didn't help.

is the pusher type sight tool my only alternative?
beretta wants $130 for theirs, and midwayusa has one for $100.
kind of pricey, so before i take the plunge, what has worked for you guys?

thanks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 4:26:51 PM EDT
[#1]
A question.  Did you have the slide in a padded vise when you attempted to adjust the rear sights?

I have tried to adjust many sights at the range with no luck.  Got them home, placed them in a padded vise and everyone has moved.

Thanks,

Don-S1
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
no, didn't have the slide in a padded vise.

like you, i tried to do the adjustment in the field. i had the pistol sideways on a leather shooting bag.

i'll try again using your set up as i have all the right equipment at home.

sounds like good advice.

will post results.

thanks!
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
And some hard learned lessons

Pad the jaws on the vise.  I had an old set of leather plan gloves that I cut up and put between the slide and jaws

Use a heavy duty vise mounted to a solid mount.  I originally used a light duty vise mounted to a desk and it did not work.

Use a good size diameter brass punch.  The one I used was originally a 1/8 inch brass punch.  After I bent up the shaft, I cut it off and now have a nice size punch.

Do the math.  Calculate how much you need to shift the sight before adjusting.  If you need any help with the calculation, drop me a PM, I can help.  

Once the sight starts moving, they seems to move relatively easy.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Thanks,

Don
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#4]
PM sent.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#5]
i got lucky and was offered the use of a sight pusher tool.

there was no way that i could have drifted the sight over just using a punch and hammer.
even using the tool it took a LOT of force to move the sight to the desired position.
there seemed to be a distinctive click everytime the sight was nudged over an increment, wonder if it was a feature of the tool or if there is a ball detent in the sight groove.

i also wonder if mine was unusually stubborn or are they all like that?

USE THE TOOL !
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations!

What sight pusher did you use?

Thanks,

Don-S1
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#7]
the one made by maryland gun works.
looks just like the one beretta sells.

very well made tool.

causes no damage to sight or slide.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top