Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2004 11:04:48 AM EDT
I have a question about a 92 that I am looking at in a local gun shop. Its stainless with houge rubber grips and in 100% mint, looks like never been fired condition. It also is one of the ones made in Italy with (2) 15 round mags. Whats the difference between the Italian and US made 92's? Are the Italian ones worth more? When did they stop making them over there and start making them here? Whats this one worth ?? Its MINT.

anyone know of a Beretta gun forum?

Frank
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO, there's not a tinker's damn difference between the US made ones & the eye-talian versions. Some claim otherwise but I have yet to see any physical difference. The eye-talians bring a bit more $$ but that's because they're no longer imported, IMO.

Beretta opened a US made plant because the US military required a stateside factory for their small arms supplier. No clue on when the change was, sorry.

As for the value you described, I'd say $550-650. Some areas of the country it'll be worth more than other areas.
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a good Beretta forum site.
www.berettaforum.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 2:03:32 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys
Link Posted: 12/23/2004 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Not too sure about anything made in the past 3-5 years, but the biggest difference between the US 92SF and the Italian one is the finish. The military had a choice in finish "levels" for thr contract guns, and they chose what was, at the time, the level "B" finish...not as high a polish as the Italian commercial models, and the muzzle is not polished at all...thus the myth that US made guns do not have a chrome lined barrel...they do, but the military guys did not want that shiny surface. US commercial guns with the dark finish used the same finish as the military for a long time, and still may for all I know.

In Italy, they actually had a lady at tha factory whose job it was to polish the burrs off of the ends of the recoil spring guide on a buffing wheel...can you imagine what US labor rates would cost for this service? (Now, of course, they use polymer) You used to see the old 92 and 92S Italian guns with the grip screw slots actually lined up perfectly!!! Little touches that have zero effect on the overall useability of the guns.

For many years the Italian guns also used the roll pins (clamping sleeves) even after the US guns went to the solid pins. That is about all I can remember. Certainly not worth a big premium over a good, US made gun...to me at least.
Link Posted: 12/25/2004 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If I recall correctly all the stainless guns came out of Italy.  

As far as regular guns are concerned, it SEEMS the Italians are a bit nicer.  I have an Italian 92FS and most of my friends think its finished nicer than US guns.  I'm not entirely convinced of that but am quite happy with it none the less.

Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The stainless guns are made in Italy and the US. The differences are mainly cosmetic fit and finish issues. Certainly not anything worth loosing sleep over though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

As far as regular guns are concerned, it SEEMS the Italians are a bit nicer.  I have an Italian 92FS and most of my friends think its finished nicer than US guns.  I'm not entirely convinced of that but am quite happy with it none the less.

I have an Italian 92F, not 92FS, is yours really a 92FS?  I thought all the 92FS's were USA made
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:36:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an Italian 92F, not 92FS, is yours really a 92FS?  I thought all the 92FS's were USA made

Yep, Italian FS.  Serial number in the E27000Z range.  Bought it in 88 or 89.

Marked "PIETRO BERETTA Gardone V.T. - Made in Italy" on the left side of the slide. "Mod 92FS - cal 9 Parabellum - PATENTED Beretta USA, Acck, MD" on the right.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, Italian FS.  Serial number in the E27000Z range.  Bought it in 88 or 89.

Marked "PIETRO BERETTA Gardone V.T. - Made in Italy" on the left side of the slide. "Mod 92FS - cal 9 Parabellum - PATENTED Beretta USA, Acck, MD" on the right.

OK, my 1987 92F is Italian made in ...1987!  bought it after watching Lethal Weapon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top