Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2010 8:48:36 PM EDT

Always wanted one and finally got one.  Though my brother and friend have older models ie. no plastic guide rod!  WTF is that about?  I haven't shot it yet but when I do I will let you know how it does.

Night sights, rail, and four 20 round mags...wow

But seriously, what's with the PLASTIC guide rod, I guess I know what my first up grade will be...though I shouldn't need to up grade a Sig...

Oh and sorry about the crappy cell phone pics, quicker and easier
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 9:58:44 PM EDT
[#1]
While I have to admit that, yes, I did purchase a steel guide rod for my p229... I have yet to hear a single thing actually wrong with the polymer one. I'm not sure that there is ANY benifiet to having a steel one. Can ANYONE show us some pics of a broken polymer guide rod, or a catastrophic failure of a polymer guide rod? How about malfunctions of the pistol absolutely due to a polymer guide rod? I'm just curious because everyone talks shit about them but I haven't seen any evidence that it's a bad thing other than it hurts people's feelings. I guess it could melt if you drop the gun in a fire... but so would a few other parts.

Even though I replaced mine, I still keep it around because it's still a perfectly functioning part.

BTW that 226 is wonderful! Congrats!!! Did it come with the night sights?  

nevermind, just noticed the truglo... nice... yeah i bought a 229 sct... love that thing. Even better with the SRT kit installed.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I would say that the plastic is such a departure from what we all think of as quality. Especially when that part had been made from metal previously. I actually didn't even notice when checking it out at the gun shop. I did pick up the M9 and saw that fluted deal they use now.

In my search I came across so stuff that said the polymer did not wear the frame, guess that was a problem in the CZ's and they went to plastic. Similar with Berretta and there fluted guide rod.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Grats on the acquisition!  Got the same Sig you got!  Minus the SRT though.

Mine came with a plastic rod, but thru divine intervention (marred slide), Sig replaced mine with a factory steel guide rod and smoothed out the trigger.

Outstanding pistol, even my die hard "old-Sig"  buddy with a W. German P228 is jealous of it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice, I need to shoot this thing cuz I can't tell if the trigger is all that great. I've shot short triggers on a 226 before and my trigger just doesn't feel amazing. Plus I have been shooting 1911's almost exclusively and mine have that crisp SA trigger break. Haven't owned a 9mm in 5 years nor a DA/SA pistol in as long.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh and too add, I'm gonna get a steel guide rod but I'm gonna see how long the polymer last. See if there is any difference in feel...
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#6]
A plastic guide rod? Un believable and when they are at the most SIGs have ever been
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]

3 shots in that lil area then a 4th flier and the 5th went MIA.

This is better 5 shot group but what I will say is that I was aiming center of the box. That goes for both pics. I was shooting about 15yrds away with some Federal 115 FMJ RN. I was constantly hitting low and left. I do hit left at times but I was getting a lil frustrated at it.

Makes me wonder if it was me or the gun? At times my POA would be my intended POI, so I can't forsure say the sights need a tweak. My high thumb grip I use with 1911's caused me to hit the slide stop on the last round and dropping the hammer on an empty chamber. Lowered my thumbs and that stopped.

I went through 200 rounds in about 45 mins in the hot AZ desert and no ftf and no fte. I had some mags loaded to 20, 15, 10. Did a few 20 round mag dumps back to back after   I had a 100 through it, not a problem. The last 10 rounds, due to a little frustration, I decided to have a go at a can to see if I would keep hitting low and left. I was able to jump the can out to about 50 yards making a lot of hits. Further out I put some into the dirt low but was a bit happier with the POA/POI.

I still need to run different ammo through it and test it's accuracy better. I'm not convinced that it was me... Could be...

So the take away, it was reliable with a 200 round sprint and while low and left ;) accurate.

Oh and for the SRT, felt fine while shooting. Need to test it head to head with my pals older 226 with a short trigger.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
congrats on the 226. The sights might need adjustment on yours but you purchased what I think is one of the best handguns out there. My 226 is a .40 DAO that has been rock solid for me. I have other Sigs too (exclusively) and that's because I've noticed that I am way more accurate with them than anything else I've tried, plus they are very reliable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Took it out again today, 50 rounds of the same Federal 115gr FMJ RN. This time I brought a sand bag and a stool to hunker it down. 1st shot even but damn near off the target to the left...

Then it was constantly left if not low and left. This is with a sand bag. Now a few shots were closer to the bullseye but for the most part always left.

When I stood up and fired normal it was off the target all together. The sand bag helped but I'm still not convinced it is all me. Got a pix I'll post later...

The 3 circled holes where a 3 shot group with sandbag, the other 2 to the left were the rest of a 5 shoot group.  The big ones were from my 1911...

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 1:54:56 AM EDT
[#10]
My SCT shot low as well.  I think the TFO front sights are too high.  You may need to go with a lower front sight or a taller rear.  The windage is adjustable though.  I would adjust windage by drifting/ pushing the rear sight to the right but would hold off doing any elevation adjustments until after you've got plenty of rounds down range.  POI can change as your pistol breaks in. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Although your pistol appears to be shooting low; it is doing so with 115 grain ammunition.

If you switch to loads with heavier bullets, which are more suited to self defense; your gun will shoot higher.

I wouldn't screw around with the elevation until you've shot some heavier bullets in your pistol.

I'll bet the POI will be much better with those; heavier bullets naturally shoot higher.

Nice pistol.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 12:47:50 PM EDT
[#12]
OK, OK, I think a few things happened here.  I think I worked it in a lil more and I had to add a LOT more trigger finger to it.  I took out my brothers 226 and mine.

Brother 226, the 2 holes in the middle from a sandbag strong hand only

The other holes left were from my 226

So I know I can shoot right?

My 226 again, left but why, strong hand from a sandbag.

WTF is this, all over the place!?!

My brother 226 again so is it the gun?

HA AH! I need to add more finger, but what's the difference between my brother 226 and mine?  The grip might be just that little bit bigger maybe and has me putting too little finger on it even when I focus on not pushing...

Sandbag, and standing with more finger

My ah ha moment, to pushed and 3 center once I figured it out!

Finally, I can trust myself with it. Turns out after testing it against the older 226, the grips are much bigger with slight swells on the thumb and trigger finger area.  The old 226 is very slim in comparison, all I've shot before.  The newer 226 feels like I am holding a USP 45... I finally realized this and added much more finger and stopped pushing my shots so far left.  I didn't notice my trigger finger being in the wrong spot, I don't have that problem with slim grip 1911.

I've never had such a hard time figuring out how to shoot one of my guns!  Oh and I have to cover the target with the sites or it will be low. And that is not my beer can, just one out there.

Thanks to all of you that gave advice.

So 350 rounds and no FTF/FTE and finally hitting center.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Just another update, she's a beauty now. Still don't like the grips, those with be changed soon.
10 Shots Federal 115gr FMJ RN at 30 feet. Just aimed and shot, hit where I was aiming so I continued.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top