Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2010 11:54:07 AM EDT
I just ordered one of these at http://www.thegunsource.com/; I've been looking for a .22 pistol for a while (my only handgun at the moment is a Bersa 380, and I'm sick of paying .380 ammo prices (I also didn't know much about guns when I bought it; as mistakes go, it could have been far worse (not that I have had problems with it; it's functioned just fine))).  

One of the main reasons I ordered it (besides all of the positive P226 reviews I've seen) is that if I choose to, I can get a caliber x-change kit later and have a 9mm or .40 S&W P226 (buying the .22 model first and an x-change kit later saves a couple hundred dollars over buying them the other way around, too).

Once it comes in I'll post pics and what I think about it; in the mean time, does anyone have any advice?  What ammo works best in P226 22 conversions, that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#1]
My .22 conversion works well with CCI Mini-Mags.  It doesn't work so well with Federal bulk pack.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I went the same route as you.  Early this year I bought  the P226 .22 version for $450, then used the included $399.95 coupon to order a .40 S&W kit.  Now I have 1 1/2 Sigs for about the same price as a regular P226 in .40.

Both calibers work flawlessly in my pistol.  The .22 loves Federal bulk ammo.  Only problem is waiting for them to ship you the upgrade kit.  Took almost 4 months for mine.

Oh yeah.... make sure you order the upgrades from Sigpower.com?  This aftermarket supplier offers an aluminum magazine follower to replace the plastic factory one, and will hold open slide after last shot.  You can also get a shorter magazine plug and longer spring to allow 15 shots in the mag instead of 10.  Finally, he offers a stainless steel guide rod to replace factory plastic rod.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the heads up on the improved magazine parts at sigpower.  

I'll try a few different brands of ammo, since it seems 22s can be picky about what they feed.
Link Posted: 7/8/2010 9:56:14 AM EDT
[#4]
You made a great choice for your 2nd handgun.  This P226 was my first Sig pistol and I like it a lot.  I may get a P220 .45 ACP one day.
Link Posted: 7/10/2010 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got one (P-220-22)
It's no CZ Kadet, but it's OK. Runs well on MiniMags and Fed 550 red box from WM.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 1:05:42 PM EDT
[#6]
CCI Mini mags run best- But I've been able to shoot the cheap bulk as well with no problems.

I love my P226 .22

Go to topgunsupply.com and order the x-change kits from there. Some may be out of stock but check back periodically. Cheaper and faster than ordering direct from SIG.

My P226 is mostly a range gun with setups for .22LR and 9mm. I do occasionally ccw it but that's because I don't have any other options at this point.

I highly recommend the .40 kit because it is the most versatile. a simple barrel change allows the firearm to shoot .357sig using the same magazines.  I have heard rumors that a bar-sto barrel and SIG 9mm mags will allow to shoot 9mm (not 100% sure though).

I sure wish I had gotten the .40 x-change kit but never-the-less I love my SIG. Very accurate, very reliable.

Make sure to keep up on your maintenance. A clean gun will shoot almost any kind of ammo with little to no hiccups. Clean before the 1st shoot, after every shoot, and keep it coated in oil regularly. Order a few spare mags- you'll get frustrated having to stop shooting to reload the mag.

As someone else mentioned above I believe- my only complaint is that the slide does not lock back on the last shot in .22.

You will not be disappointed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As someone else mentioned above I believe- my only complaint is that the slide does not lock back on the last shot in .22.
quote]

Slide-hold-open aluminum mag followers from sigpower.com fixes that little problem.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I just ordered one of these at http://www.thegunsource.com/; I've been looking for a .22 pistol for a while (my only handgun at the moment is a Bersa 380, and I'm sick of paying .380 ammo prices (I also didn't know much about guns when I bought it; as mistakes go, it could have been far worse (not that I have had problems with it; it's functioned just fine))).  

One of the main reasons I ordered it (besides all of the positive P226 reviews I've seen) is that if I choose to, I can get a caliber x-change kit later and have a 9mm or .40 S&W P226 (buying the .22 model first and an x-change kit later saves a couple hundred dollars over buying them the other way around, too).

Once it comes in I'll post pics and what I think about it; in the mean time, does anyone have any advice?  What ammo works best in P226 22 conversions, that kind of thing.

All I see are the mosquitoes.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 10:16:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like they're out of stock now.

They finally shipped mine on Tuesday.  Hopefully it gets here tomorrow so I can shoot it over the weekend.
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Has anybody tried running a suppressor on these yet? I see Sig makes threaded barrels for the.22 slides. How is the barrel fitted in these...like a regular P226 or like the other Sig .22 which is screwed to the gun frame and not in the slide.

thankd
Link Posted: 7/16/2010 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#11]
The barrel is loosely clamped in by the take down latch.
I suspect if it were rigidly clamped, there would be binding problems with the slide.
In battery, there's slight play in the barrel. No problems with 8" plates@ 25yd, though.
Understand, this is a real centerfire Sig frame.  The slide/barrel/spring mount just like the corresponding centerfire.

A Black Dog BHO follower drops right in the mag and locks it open, but makes for sticky, yank-it-out mag changes, although it does prevent dry firing. This works on Ciener pistol conversions, too.
There seems to be a travel limiter on the firing pin so I don't think dry firing will peen the breech.
Link Posted: 7/23/2010 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I finally picked the P226 up from the store yesterday, and took it out to the range today.  It's a great gun (and I'm too poor a shot to do it justice), and I can tell already I'm going to spend a lot of time shooting it.

Here it is next to my Bersa, and here's one of the targets I shot at 10 yards (both pics are pretty hi-res, so 56k beware).

It fed high velocity winchester xpert 22 rounds without any problems; I'm going to try a few other labels and see how well they all do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top