Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2009 7:48:03 PM EDT
I have a 1979 P6.  I personally did the feed ramp mod and it eats Ranger 147gr SXT's like a fat kid loves cake.

I'm thinking about night sights, shorter trigger, and hammer spring (19#), and solid (heavier guide rod).

I'd appreciate some input on the following questions/inquiries.

1.  I tend to have to aim high.  By this I mean the base of my front sight is on the same plane as the top of my bottom sights.  Is this normal with front and rear stock #8 sights?

2.  Any recommendations for companies who make black grips?  I would consider something that would work ergonomically, but I don't want any of those slip on rubber grips or the wooden 1911 type grips  I'm looking for a complete replacement screw-on grip.?

3.  Has anyone dealt with [url=http://www.customizedcreationz.com]CuztomizedCreationz.com[/ur] (this is where I'm looking at getting the trigger, hammer spring, and possibly the solid guide rod)?

4.  Does anyone have any pictures of an all black P6 (including the barrel/chamber)?

5.  Has anyone put a light on the P6, if so how did that affect the balance?

I'm glad I don't own a 1911.  This P6 bug is going to be costly enough!

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a 1979 P6.  I personally did the feed ramp mod and it eats Ranger 147gr SXT's like a fat kid loves cake.

I'm thinking about night sights, shorter trigger, and hammer spring (19#), and solid (heavier guide rod).

1.  I tend to have to aim high.  By this I mean the base of my front sight is on the same plane as the top of my bottom sights.  Is this normal with front and rear stock #8 sights?

2.  Any recommendations for companies who make black grips?  I would consider something that would work ergonomically, but I don't want any of those slip on rubber grips or the wooden 1911 type grips  I'm looking for a complete replacement screw-on grip.?

3.  Has anyone dealt with [url=http://www.customizedcreationz.com]CuztomizedCreationz.com[/ur] (this is where I'm looking at getting the trigger, hammer spring, and possibly the solid guide rod)?

4.  Does anyone have any pictures of an all black P6 (including the barrel/chamber)?

I can answer a few, ok...maybe a couple.

#1––Don't know.

#2––I run mine with Pachmyrs on them, they run about $30-$40 and feel great.

#3––Yes, I have dealty with Todd at CC and he has been awesome. He was taking a beating from guys for a bit for slow turn around tiime, but those were on complete rebuilds and refinishes. My turn around time for the work he di was just over a week. Also, you can get solid guiderods right here on ARFcom in the online store.  Wolff springs makes the best 19# springs in my opinion and you can order them and the trigger from Topgun Supply. If you are remotly mechanically inclined you can do all of the stuff yourself.

#4––-No...but Tod from CC offers Black Cerekote finishes for barrels and guide rods...neat looking.

#5––No, but would be cool also.

A couple of mine with refinish by me, barrel polish and ramp job by Todd, SS guiderod from ARFcom and 19# spring. Sights not pictured are Mepros, not sure if they are 8's or not. Packaging said for P225.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 9:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can answer a few, ok...maybe a couple.

#1––Don't know.

#2––I run mine with Pachmyrs on them, they run about $30-$40 and feel great.

#3––Yes, I have dealty with Todd at CC and he has been awesome. He was taking a beating from guys for a bit for slow turn around tiime, but those were on complete rebuilds and refinishes. My turn around time for the work he di was just over a week. Also, you can get solid guiderods right here on ARFcom in the online store.  Wolff springs makes the best 19# springs in my opinion and you can order them and the trigger from Topgun Supply. If you are remotly mechanically inclined you can do all of the stuff yourself.

#4––-No...but Tod from CC offers Black Cerekote finishes for barrels and guide rods...neat looking.

#5––No, but would be cool also.

A couple of mine with refinish by me, barrel polish and ramp job by Todd, SS guiderod from ARFcom and 19# spring. Sights not pictured are Mepros, not sure if they are 8's or not. Packaging said for P225.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/4827/001guk.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6783/018jxc.jpg

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2036/002uet.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9459/001bfl.jpg

FYI I think the 225's have 6's for the rear sights and 8 for the front sight...not totally sure.

I love the "forward" part of the Pachmyrs, but I'm not a big fan of the "sides" of those grips.

I plan to do the trigger/spring work myself (All Todd would have to do is box the spring, trigger, and possible guide rod (he has the solid steel ones in black...sorry AR15.com).

How has the solid steel guide rod affected the balance?  IMO it seems like it would help.  Any notice in reduced muzzle "lift?"

I'll look into getting the complete barrel black cerekoted.

I'll probably do the trigger (black), hammer spring, and guide rod (black) first.  Then I'll look at getting the barrel cerekoted black.

It is my primary winter CCW and nightstand gun.  So it won't be a safe queen...

Does anyone have a recommendation for night sights?

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:34:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a pic of my all black Sig P225/P6.I can't answer any of ur questions but thought I'd share a pic of my Sig w/u.I've not done any modfications to it as of yet.

Siglet
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#4]
For grips, if you don't like the pachmyrs, there are Hogue G10 grips.  I've got a set on my 228 and they are the bees knees.  Unfortunately they're really expensive too.  I think they would be the perfect grips if they were 50-75 dollars cheaper.

Here's my 228 with them

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

For grips, if you don't like the pachmyrs, there are Hogue G10 grips.  I've got a set on my 228 and they are the bees knees.  Unfortunately they're really expensive too.  I think they would be the perfect grips if they were 50-75 dollars cheaper.
Here's my 228 with them
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll318/arowe509/My%20Guns/228G10grips002.jpg

Is that a medium trigger?  I love the grips, but hammer spring/short trigger/night sights/and matching the barrel color to the gun are my top 3 as of now.

(The P6/225 bug is as bad as the 1911...  

Also my stock P6 trigger has about  1/16" inch of "play."  By play, I mean I can squeeze the trigger and not feel resistance from the hammer being engaged until I squeeze that 1/16."  Anyone know what causes this and more importantly how to fix it?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#6]
I got the short trigger from CC and it's great.  It not only moves the trigger contact point back a bit, it also moves it up, which helps keep the sights straight when doing the double action trigger pull, and keeps the trigger from pinching my finger against the trigger guard.

ETA: if you want a short trigger, you don't want the Pachmayr grips.  They are bulky.  Fat.

My P6 always hits about 8 inches left and 5 inches low with the sights that came on it (pretty sure it's not me).  I think 8 in front and 7 in rear.  Rear sight is off to one side.  I'm going to file the front sight down a tad and serrate the rear of it, then paint it blaze orange.  And outline the rear sight with white paint.

If it's hitting as low for you as you describe, there's a problem.  Either you're pulling the shot, or something on the gun is broken.  Or you're exaggerating...  No offense.  There's no way the top of the rear sight should have to align with the top of the slide on the front.  That's quite a severe angle.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I got the short trigger from CC and it's great.  It not only moves the trigger contact point back a bit, it also moves it up, which helps keep the sights straight when doing the double action trigger pull, and keeps the trigger from pinching my finger against the trigger guard.

ETA: if you want a short trigger, you don't want the Pachmayr grips.  They are bulky.  Fat.

My P6 always hits about 8 inches left and 5 inches low with the sights that came on it (pretty sure it's not me).  I think 8 in front and 7 in rear.  Rear sight is off to one side.  I'm going to file the front sight down a tad and serrate the rear of it, then paint it blaze orange.  And outline the rear sight with white paint.

If it's hitting as low for you as you describe, there's a problem.  Either you're pulling the shot, or something on the gun is broken.  Or you're exaggerating...  No offense.  There's no way the top of the rear sight should have to align with the top of the slide on the front.  That's quite a severe angle.

This is the sight picture I have to use to get on target.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc301/hoosier122/gun%20stuff/sightpicture.jpg

I don't think changing sight heigth is going to make a difference.  I can't think of anything other than operator error that would cause that much of an issue.  I don't want you to take that personal.  I'm not there, and I'm not shooting the gun, so there is no way for me to make any kind of real diagnosis.  Has anyone else shot the gun, and are the results for them the same?  Have you had a known "good shooter" test the gun for you.  I have a gunsmith that is unreal when it comes to shooting, and if I have a question about a guns accuracy, I have him shoot it.  If it is the gun, then send that baby off to get fixed, and CC would be one of my choices.

Good Luck,
DBAR

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc301/hoosier122/gun%20stuff/sightpicture.jpg

Ok, good.  I'm not the only one.

My P6 was always VERY low no matter what hold I had on the target.  It was also always off to the right.

I thought it was just me and that I couldn't shoot. I traded it in on a Hk P7 and drilled the 10 ring on the first shot.

I liked the P6, but I could not shoot it accurately.  I can't use a off-center POA for a SD pistol.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:12:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think changing sight heigth is going to make a difference.  I can't think of anything other than operator error that would cause that much of an issue.  I don't want you to take that personal.  I'm not there, and I'm not shooting the gun, so there is no way for me to make any kind of real diagnosis.  Has anyone else shot the gun, and are the results for them the same?  Have you had a known "good shooter" test the gun for you.  I have a gunsmith that is unreal when it comes to shooting, and if I have a question about a guns accuracy, I have him shoot it.  If it is the gun, then send that baby off to get fixed, and CC would be one of my choices.

Good Luck,

DBAR

I've had good shooters shoot it and they are always low.  I've never had accuracy problems with Glocks/Berettas/Rugers.

Perhaps it is just the long heavy trigger pull causing me to pull the muzzle down.  I have a short trigger, solid recoil slide, and 19# hammer spring on the way from http://www.customizedcreationz.com.  I'll report back.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:35:26 PM EDT
[#11]
My AA code P225 has a 7 rear and a 9 front SIG night sight set.  Perfect alignment.

Pachmyrs are very nice, but not for me. I went back to standard grips. Not a reflection on Pachmyr, just my weird hands. I also have the factory short trigger, which made the 225 the perfect fit for my hands. It points as natural as my own fingers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 2:38:37 PM EDT
[#12]

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss123/S3337/AFS/IMG_1330.jpg

P6 Refinish courtesy of my good buddy Rollin Hot
BTW yes I do have grip screws on there...Hogue black allen heads - may swap to stainless since the barrel and rod are now done.

Stock barrel and guide rod which I polished on a buddy's $39 harbor freight bench buffer using mothers mag wheel polish and brasso
With a zero dollar dress up, I don't find the need to go with a stainless guide rod
- IMO the 9mm isn't a bucking round and the addition of a teensy amount of front end weight won't make it shoot like a .22 lr, so I'd rather buy primers.  :)

My 1980 vintage P6...matter of fact BOTH my 1980 P6s came with #8 front sight and #7 rear sight - hence a taller front than rear
Both shoot poa/poi 100%
Subsequently, I replaced each front sight with a #8 mepro for $35 from TopGunSupply and still they shoot perfectly

Your fix should be easy - get a taller front or shorter rear sight ... $25 or $35 at TopGun depending if you choose stock metal sight or night sight

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I just went to a local range yesturday and realized that the last couple of times i shot my P6's was with a suppressor on them. So, yesturday I shot them without the can and noticed exactly what you are talking about in regards to the sights. I am running Mepros on all of mine but I am not sure of the hieght. My front sight blade has to be above the rear sight considerably to get in the black. Once I figured it out, I had no issues with staying on target. I may change them out in the future like Sweet knuckles suggested, but since I don't use them defensivly, I am not in a rush to do so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top