Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2009 6:23:17 PM EDT
My SIG P229 Equinox .40 fcame with a TruGlo TFO front sight.  For the uninitiated, TFO is Tritium Fiber Optic, meaning it glows bright green, day and night.  I use this pistol in IDPA club shooting and the TruGlo sight really grabs my eye.

I had seen some posts knocking the TruGlo sights for being fragile, but I blew them off.  Well, after a day at the range with a friend, who had never shot a pistol before, I came home and field stripped my pistol for cleaning.  I noticed the front sight was quite dim.  Upon further inspection I discovered the TFO insert had a crack in it.  I was surprised, because the pistol had not been dropped and had been transported with care to and from the range.  I have no idea when the damage could have occurred and the TFO insert housing of the front sight shows no signs of damage.  Fragile?  Maybe.

I contacted TruGlo via email a few days ago, but I have yet to receive a reply from them.  I contacted SIG customer service via email and they suggested I call them to discuss options for changing the sight.  I called SIG customer service today and, after holding for 5 minutes, spoke with a customer service representative, who told me she was printing a UPS label for me, but referred my call to the SIG technical department who would contact me soon.  I spoke with the customer service rep @ 1200 CST and did not receive a call from the tech dept today, so, maybe I'll talk to them Monday.

I will keep you updated on the exchanges with CS.  Hopefully this ends well with little hassle.

Jonathan H.
Kingwood, TX
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If you haven't already spoken to her, call Victoria Martin @ Sig CS..

Victoria Martin @(603)418-8158
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 6:03:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My SIG P229 Equinox .40 fcame with a TruGlo TFO front sight.  For the uninitiated, TFO is Tritium Fiber Optic, meaning it glows bright green, day and night.  I use this pistol in IDPA club shooting and the TruGlo sight really grabs my eye.

I had seen some posts knocking the TruGlo sights for being fragile, but I blew them off.  Well, after a day at the range with a friend, who had never shot a pistol before, I came home and field stripped my pistol for cleaning.  I noticed the front sight was quite dim.  Upon further inspection I discovered the TFO insert had a crack in it.  I was surprised, because the pistol had not been dropped and had been transported with care to and from the range.  I have no idea when the damage could have occurred and the TFO insert housing of the front sight shows no signs of damage.  Fragile?  Maybe.

I contacted TruGlo via email a few days ago, but I have yet to receive a reply from them.  I contacted SIG customer service via email and they suggested I call them to discuss options for changing the sight.  I called SIG customer service today and, after holding for 5 minutes, spoke with a customer service representative, who told me she was printing a UPS label for me, but referred my call to the SIG technical department who would contact me soon.  I spoke with the customer service rep @ 1200 CST and did not receive a call from the tech dept today, so, maybe I'll talk to them Monday.

I will keep you updated on the exchanges with CS.  Hopefully this ends well with little hassle.

Jonathan H.
Kingwood, TX

How many rounds would you say you'd put through it?
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#3]
If I where you, I'd of dealt with TrueGlo.  Sig will take care of it I'm sure, but the same thing happened to my brother.  He had installed the TrueGlo sights on his XDM, and the front sight fiber optic insert cracked, and came out.  It looked like it just came un glued from the night sight inside the sight post.  True Glo offered to install a new one at no charge, but he ended up sending them the bad one, and they sent him a new one.  True Glo's customer service acted as I would expect any companies customer service to act.  I think they where above average in the way they handled it with my brother, after all, he installed the sights himself.

DBAR
Link Posted: 10/19/2009 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jonathan H.
Kingwood, TX

How many rounds would you say you'd put through it?

3k +/- 200

Link Posted: 10/19/2009 3:47:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Sig CS called today.  I never spoke with a tech, but a CS rep emailed me a UPS label.  They are replacing the sight at no cost, shipping or otherwise.

Jonathan H.
Kingwood, TX
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Seems like a pain for such expensive sights. I was looking at them real hard for a Sig 239 or Glock 23 but with this report I've lost a little taste for them.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I received my new slide with a new TruGlo TFO sight installed on Friday, 30 October.  I will make a trip to the range on 11/11/09, if the range is open that day, and let everyone know if the sight is accurate or needs adjustment.  This was pretty painless on my part.  +1 SIG cs in my book.  I might elect to change the front sight to something more conventional in the near future.

Jonathan H
Kingwood, TX
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 1:37:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Good for you, and I hope you have a great time shooting.  Stay safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top