Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2009 9:59:53 AM EDT
I love my P6, but my hands are small enough that reaching the double action trigger is a bit difficult.  I'm installing a standard P225 hammer spring (24 lb) to replace the P6 spring (28 lb) and I'm polishing some of the interfaces to make the pull smoother, but even then it's not easy for me to pull the double action trigger.

I've carried a Glock for a long time, and it doesn't have a trigger much different from the P6 single action trigger.  It will reside in a form-fitted leather holster, not loose in a pocket or waistband.  Is there any danger in carrying it with the hammer back?  I've got Rule 3 firmly ingrained in my mind and my muscles, and I don't think accidentally pulling the trigger will be any more likely with the P6 than my Glock.  

However, I don't know if a bump or jar might cause the hammer to drop from the cocked position.  I assume it has a safety so the hammer won't continue forward if the trigger is not pulled to the rear (it seems to have a rebounding hammer) so even if the hammer did drop, it wouldn't hit the firing pin.

Has anyone carried this way?  Does anyone know a reason it shouldn't be carried this way?

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 10:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Sig sells a short trigger that might help.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I looked at that, and honestly I can't see a difference.  I measured the pixels on a side-by-side photo of a standard trigger and short trigger in a SIG P6, but there wasn't enough difference there to bother with it.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked at that, and honestly I can't see a difference.  I measured the pixels on a side-by-side photo of a standard trigger and short trigger in a SIG P6, but there wasn't enough difference there to bother with it.

Seriously?   You think b/c you measured pixels on a picture that the triggers aren't much different?  

The short triggers for SIGs ARE shorter.  You might have a tough time finding an actual SIG made short trigger, but I think Customized Creations is offering a short version.

ETA:  Carry the pistol as designed, decocked.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 2:29:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Not safe to carry that way
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?   You think b/c you measured pixels on a picture that the triggers aren't much different?  

It's a bit more complicated than that.  I put the image file in photoshop and measured the pixels from the rear of the grip where the plastic grips meet the metal to the front of the trigger guard to use as a reference (to verify the scale of each gun on the photo), then measured from the same point on the backstrap to the point on the front face of the trigger where my finger would grip it, and compared the distance on the two P6 pistols with different triggers.  Then I normalized that distance with respect to the reference measurement.

Link Posted: 7/29/2009 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a bit more complicated than that.  I put the image file in photoshop and measured the pixels from the rear of the grip where the plastic grips meet the metal to the front of the trigger guard to use as a reference (to verify the scale of each gun on the photo), then measured from the same point on the backstrap to the point on the front face of the trigger where my finger would grip it, and compared the distance on the two P6 pistols with different triggers.  Then I normalized that distance with respect to the reference measurement.

Yet, you still don't understand that they are in fact different lengths and when felt in the hand do make a distinct difference for shooters with smaller hands.  But, hey, you've got your pixels figured out!
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the standard trigger on my P6, but the short trigger in my P228 really made a difference.  I'm gonna get a short one for my P6 and 226 when I have the spare change.

ETA: Yikes!  I would not carry it that way.  If you're thinking like that, maybe you should consider 1911's.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Seriously, the short trigger is the ticket.  Try one, if it doesn't work, then either grow longer fingers or look at a different platform.  But cocked and unlocked isn't the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for a Short Trigger.... -1for Photoshop Measuring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top