Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2009 7:46:29 PM EDT
Mostly new to Sigs (have a P556 SWAT) and the selection of pistol models/calibers/combos is a bit overwhelming. I'd really like to get into a high capacity .45 Sig (10 rounds minimum, 13-15 preferrred)  but the best I can find is 8 rounds. Am I missing something? The 250 and a 10 round mag hanging out of a model designed for 8 rounds is not an option. Been through the Sig website and thumbed through a catalog and I just don't see what I am looking for.

Would really like to get into a Sig pistol if something is out there. Thanks in advance!
- Joe

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#1]
SiG currently does not have a double stack .45.  Rumor is they are fiddling with the idea but just how far along the project is is unknown.  Could be announcedlate this year, at the next SHOT show or when Obama get a frickin' clue (next to never).  The P220 is the series in .45 if you want to go to their website and look at what is available to suit your taste.  The P226, P229 and P239 series come in the fab 3 calibers: 9mm, .357SIG and .40S&W.  The P232 and recently introduced P238 are chambered in .380.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#2]
A high cap Sig in .45 would be awesome. Here's hoping...
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 3:56:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Well that is very disappointing. I really had my heart set on picking up a Sig or two for my collection. Guess I'll have to cross my fingers and hope that I have something to look forward to that will be legal to purchase down the road. Thanks for the info!

- Joe
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:12:58 AM EDT
[#4]
A high cap SIG 45 would be HUGE.  The single stack is not exactly petite.  Not sure I see it coming.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:01:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I thought the 250 in .45 was a double stack 10 rder standard?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I thought the 250 in .45 was a double stack 10 rder standard?

I think its nine. But a higher cap would be cool.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:18:54 AM EDT
[#7]
SIG at one point had a prototype of a double stack 220 that they called the 221. It was supposed to come out, but then the klinton assault weapon ban with the 10 round mag limit hit and they nixed it..

I want a double stack 220!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Double stack .45's are coming out.  SiG is rumored to be jumping on this recent bandwagon.  Round capacity is purely speculative and it actually wouldn't be double stack in the conventional sense.  The concept was (with the P221) and is rumored to be a staggered column magazine arrangement but keeping the exterior dimensions similar to the P226 (which would alledge a 10 round standard capacity).  Several of the P250 incarnations are listed on the SIG sight with a .45 option.  I seriously doubt that a double stack variant of the .45 will emerge in this series.

If you want a SIG, then get one.  If you want a high capacity .45, look into the: HK USP45, Taurus PT145 Pro, CZ-97B.  However, even these do NOT come in your desired 13-15 capacity with standard mags.  They are all 10's with the exception of the HK which has an aftermarket mag with a capacity of 12 rounds available.  The caveat is, it's made by ProMag.  10 round mag capacity would make many happy in competition shooting as the .45 platforms wouldn't HAVE to go with extended mags (ugly and cumbersome) to keep up with some of the 9mm platforms (usually restricted to 10 rounds even if their mags will hold more).  If you need or want more .45 than is currently on the market I see you have 2 choices.  Build it yourself or get a Tommy.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:42:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Double stack .45's are coming out.  SiG is rumored to be jumping on this recent bandwagon.  Round capacity is purely speculative and it actually wouldn't be double stack in the conventional sense.  The concept was (with the P221) and is rumored to be a staggered column magazine arrangement but keeping the exterior dimensions similar to the P226 (which would alledge a 10 round standard capacity).  Several of the P250 incarnations are listed on the SIG sight with a .45 option.  I seriously doubt that a double stack variant of the .45 will emerge in this series.

If you want a SIG, then get one.  If you want a high capacity .45, look into the: HK USP45, Taurus PT145 Pro, CZ-97B.  However, even these do NOT come in your desired 13-15 capacity with standard mags.  They are all 10's with the exception of the HK which has an aftermarket mag with a capacity of 12 rounds available.  The caveat is, it's made by ProMag.  10 round mag capacity would make many happy in competition shooting as the .45 platforms wouldn't HAVE to go with extended mags (ugly and cumbersome) to keep up with some of the 9mm platforms (usually restricted to 10 rounds even if their mags will hold more).  If you need or want more .45 than is currently on the market I see you have 2 choices.  Build it yourself or get a Tommy.

HK mag's are made by promag? My HK USP45  came with factory HK 12 rounders...

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#10]
A hi capacity Sig in 45 where do I sign up
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A high cap SIG 45 would be HUGE.  The single stack is not exactly petite.  Not sure I see it coming.

Thats what I was thinking

The double stack 9's and 40's are big but still hold less than other available high caps(one reason they are not as popular in IPSC open and limited)

They are going to do the 250 but I am pretty sure it will only hold 10 in the standard mag just like the M&P45

I am a sig guy but ended up with a FNP 45. 14-15rds of 45 and the grip is pretty large but manageable. Other than the checkering being a little too agressive for my tastes it is a fine gun
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[snip]
If you want a SIG, then get one.  If you want a high capacity .45, look into the: HK USP45, Taurus PT145 Pro, CZ-97B.  However, even these do NOT come in your desired 13-15 capacity with standard mags.

I want a Sig...that meets my needs/wants/desires. If one doesn't exist, then I'll stay away despite how much I like the feel of the traditional Sigs (i.e. non-250 or 1911) in my hand. The Glock 21 holds 13 in standard mags, 15 with a small extension that doesn't look out of place. Not saying a Glock is a Sig (or vice versa) but it is what it is.  The only full size rig I let off the hook for not being hi-cap is the Desert Eagle in .50AE...it has a fairly decent excuse.

It isn't an impossible feat and I'm sure the great folks at Sig can figure out how to make it a managable size with all the Sig greatness.  Until then...I'll keep hoping. Looks like I'm not the only interested party.

Thanks!
- Joe
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:25:57 AM EDT
[#13]

The only picture of the P221 prototype I could find.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Are you sure that's a P221 prototype. It has a P229 slide and short grip like a P229. It would seem odd to use a short grip when trying to make a hi(er)-cap P220.

Also it wasn't the Clinton AWB (AKA crime bill) that killed it although the timing would have been bad for it due to the new law. The P221 project died when the parent company SIG sold off the SIGarms division to the 2 German investors. The P221 wasn't part of the sale. The prototypes and plans were turned over to the Swiss government as were all the other records of the now non existent Swiss part of the company. Kind of like when an FFL or manufacturer in the US goes out of business, they turn over their records to the ATF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top