Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2009 3:05:33 PM EDT
My girlfriend is turning 21 soon and is interested in purchasing a handgun for self defense for her drive to school and work, and also for when she moves out on her own.

She is very petite (maybe 115) and has small hands as well.  I have been going through the forums showing her pics of different handguns and going over the pros and cons of the handguns I am familiar with. She has settled on getting a Sig due to the asthetics, and I am ok with this because of Sig's reputation. We have checked the local shops in Las Cruces and no one has any Sigs on hand except for Mosquitos.

My questions are these:

1) Does anyone with smaller hands have experience with the P250, and if so how did it feel?

2) I have read that the trigger pull is 5.5-6.5 lbs.  Is this going to be an issue for her?  She only has experience shooting my Kimber Desert Warrior, which she does OK with.  I have seen a female struggle with the trigger on a Ruger DAO handgun and it has me worried that she may have problems if she orders one without shooting it first.

3) Is there a more common Sig that is similar in grip and trigger pull that I might be able to locate in El Paso (only 30 mins. away)?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 4:52:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Small hands and fitting correctly are the primary concern. The best thing to do is goto the store and put as many different guns in your hands as possible and fine the one that fits comfortable to her. If you have a range that rents guns....even better. Many guns feel different when shot as opposed to just sitting in your hand.

For someone like you just described I'd probably start with the Sig P232 or maybe a Kahr 9mm. I really wouldn't be interested in brand name at this point but fit instead.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Small hands and fitting correctly are the primary concern. The best thing to do is goto the store and put as many different guns in your hands as possible and fine the one that fits comfortable to her. If you have a range that rents guns....even better. Many guns feel different when shot as opposed to just sitting in your hand.
Unfortunately this is next to impossible as all the shops here would not allow her to even touch the handguns because of her age.  They would hand them to me which seemed pretty pointless considering our size differences (I'm well over 6'4").  In the past I have been told by shops in El Paso that I couldn't touch firearms as well because New Mexico is my state of residence.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Gun Shows?
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#4]
something to consider is the fact that you can change the grip module on the p250 to a small for better fit as well as install a short trigger.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
something to consider is the fact that you can change the grip module on the p250 to a small for better fit as well as install a short trigger.

I didn't know this, thanks for the heads up I will look into it. It seems like she is decided on the P250 so this is probably what she is going to get.  If it doesn't work out for her I guess we can always sell it and try for something else.  I will probably end up selling one of my AK's to finance this.

Heres a pic of her with the 1911 so you can get a better idea of her size:

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd take the gun away from her.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The P250 is available with different frames in relation to grip size. Get the small frame and she should be fine.
I shoot my P250 with the medium frame. I have the small frame also for my wife. Swapping them is fast and simple.

Here's a pic, Medium frame is onthe  gun, small frame is next to it. Extra frame was $40.00.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]
could you point me in the direction of different frame sizes?

ive been looking those, as well as the sub compact kit and sig has told me they will be available soon
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The P250 is available with different frames in relation to grip size. Get the small frame and she should be fine.
I shoot my P250 with the medium frame. I have the small frame also for my wife. Swapping them is fast and simple.

Here's a pic, Medium frame is onthe  gun, small frame is next to it. Extra frame was $40.00.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/bulletbob223/sig1.jpg
DoberDude, what does your wife think of the trigger? Any issues? Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:53:14 AM EDT
[#10]
The 250 is a piece of S***.  Save your self the trouble and skip it. It is not a pistol to be trusted in any way......massive problems with this one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
could you point me in the direction of different frame sizes?

ive been looking those, as well as the sub compact kit and sig has told me they will be available soon

The dealer I bought my P250 from just happened to have a frame in the small size.
Look around, call some shops and see if you can up with one. If not IM me and I'll see if my guy can get one
and we will figure out how to hook you up. Amazing the difference in the grip. It's like a whole different pistol
with the small grip frame on there vs the medium.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:12:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii260/bulletbob223/sig1.jpg
DoberDude, what does your wife think of the trigger? Any issues? Thanks in advance.

The trigger does take a little practice to get used to. It's a fairly long pull. But it is very smooth and consistent.
It took me 2 boxes of shooting below POI before I dialed it in. I shoot decent groups with it now.
I actually like the trigger now that I have spent a little time with it. My wife on the other hand got used to it faster than me.
How embarrassing

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The 250 is a piece of S***.  Save your self the trouble and skip it. It is not a pistol to be trusted in any way......massive problems with this one.

SkagSig40, I think you're the guy who had the negative thread on the 250 and sent your pistol back to Sig 3 times and
it still was jamming IIRC. I would be pissed if I were you also. But to be totally honest my 250 has not had one single failure
whatsoever. I have fed it several brands of ammo including hollow points and I function tested it with the Cor-Bon +P 115 grian 1350 fps
that I am now carrying in it. It's operation has been flawless. I have nearly 500 rounds down the pipe as of now and will post a
range report thread right here when I get 1000+ thru it. Sorry you got a lemon. It happens with ANY manufacturer occasionally.
I had a high dollar S&W 4506 years ago that couldn't get thru one mag no matter what I tried or changed.

ETA: My bad. I guess that was someone elses thread.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The trigger does take a little practice to get used to. It's a fairly long pull. But it is very smooth and consistent.
It took me 2 boxes of shooting below POI before I dialed it in. I shoot decent groups with it now.
I actually like the trigger now that I have spent a little time with it. My wife on the other hand got used to it faster than me.
How embarrassing

Hmmm, I wonder if you can mod it with a short trigger like the other Sigs.  I was going to do that with my P226, but decided that the standard trigger was okay after all.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:19:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SkagSig40, I think you're the guy who had the negative thread on the 250 and sent your pistol back to Sig 3 times and
it still was jamming IIRC. I would be pissed if I were you also. But to be totally honest my 250 has not had one single failure
whatsoever. I have fed it several brands of ammo including hollow points and I function tested it with the Cor-Bon +P 115 grian 1350 fps
that I am now carrying in it. It's operation has been flawless. I have nearly 500 rounds down the pipe as of now and will post a
range report thread right here when I get 1000+ thru it. Sorry you got a lemon. It happens with ANY manufacturer occasionally.
I had a high dollar S&W 4506 years ago that couldn't get thru one mag no matter what I tried or changed.

ETA: My bad. I guess that was someone elses thread.

I think I know which guy you were talking about but I don't think it was on ARFCOM.  There was more than a few people in that thread that were having issues with the P250, and it kind of made me a little wary.  They did state that Sig had great customer service though so that is a big plus.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top