Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2003 4:24:58 PM EDT
My wife picked up a Sig Pro at the local gun show this weekend and really liked the weight and feel of it. I told her I'd do some research and see if that's a worthwhile purchase. Opinions?  

Just a side note- I noticed here in the Sig forum there isn't a mention of it at all. That makes me think it's not a good thing. lol
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:28:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I know of two agencies using these guns in .40 caliber...probably 140-160 guns total with shooters who are all over the board in experience levels. Both are very happy with them and have had no problems with the guns to date that I am aware of...several years for each agency.

I personally do not like either the look or the feel of the gun, but that's just me. I think most Sig fans ignore it because they feel it is not a "real" Sig...whatever that is...Ha!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I owned a 2340 with both the 357SiG and 40S&W barrels and a 2009. They both work flawlessly. After about 1000 rounds they settled in and the triggers were better than those on my P-series SiGs. Accuracy and reliablity were classic SiG.

Bad features? The takedown is poorly thought out. It's one where you pop out the slide retaining pin to remove the slide. I have many semis that use similar methods, the STAR UltrStar and all my HP and HP clones. But the system on the SiGPro just wasn't fully thought out IMHO. It is akward and difficult to master.

Bottom line was that a chance to trade for some wheelguns came up and the owners of the wheelguns wanted SiGs. They got the SiGPros and I got a couple more wheelguns. Everybody ended up happy.
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I've owned one in .40 cal for about 4 yrs.  I have the drop-in 357 barrel for it, too.  It has been and still is a highly dependable, reliable, accurate hand gun.  I also liked the way it felt in my hand both for balance & weight.  

Features such as two grips, the decocker, the drop-in barrel, SA/DA, and its smooth operation continually reinforce my feeling that I made a good selection.  I suspect your wife will have the same experience.

I've performance compared it to Glocks and Berettas, and I'd choose it again over them any day.  Yes, as a previous responder said, the field take down is the only area of concern, but not enough to make me want to part with it!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for the replies. I have to say I liked the feel of it too, and I really don't mind it's looks either, traditional or not. But it's not for me, it's for my wife and she's going to be the one using it.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard her pouting at the gunshow about wanting to look at handguns some more while I was constantly migrating towards all the AR15 tables. That's like music to a mans ears.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a 2340 in .357 Sig, gotta say I love it.  It decided to be my first real handgun (T/C Contender handgun came before it, but doesn't really count, cause it's more of a pocket rifle).  My dad has one, too.  He's got more rounds through his than I do mine, but both are good guns.
Link Posted: 9/17/2003 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard her pouting at the gunshow about wanting to look at handguns some more while I was constantly migrating towards all the AR15 tables. That's like music to a mans ears.

After she gets her SiGPro, get her to try an XD. It's the SiGPro that SiG should have made.

Then the STAR UltraStar, 226, 225....
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 11:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
As a Sig lover I kept my distance for a while. But when deciding on something light in weight with stopping caliber (and a barrel length I could hit something with), the 2340 ended up as my choice. Yeah, I could have opted for Glock but I'm not fond of DAO guns.
I have grown to love it, and the looks grow on you if you're a Sig fan.

The Metro Police here in my city have just moved to the SigPro within the last month or so. I was able to chat one up when the President was in town and lots of extra guys were standing around looking bored. He said he has to chase someone up and down subway stairs and platforms two or three times a day on average (with duty belt, vest, always in a crowd) and the lighter switch was welcome, although he will miss his S&W. Too bad they only carry the 2009.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 5:14:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one in 357sig and one in 9mm.  I think they are as good as the classic line and are great for what they cost.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a used one last Wed, it's a Blueline (w/regular sights) in .357 SIG, the Bluelines come with 3 mags.  I got it for $450  I shot it yesterday, I really like it it's very easy to control.  It's very accurate (about like my P220).  It's now my wifes new carry gun :)  The trigger isn't too bad, I loaded up the sear hammer are and hammer spring with TW25 and that seemed to smooth it up quite a bit.  I'm going to have Novaks install Meprolight night sights, a short trigger with stop and do a trigger job eventually.

Here's a link for SIGPRO info:
www.praxagora.com/lunde/SigProFAQ/
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#10]
IMHO, you really can't go wrong with a Sig Pro--especially for the price.  I picked up a 2009 for $379 (before taxes and the like) about 3 weeks ago.  You see them on gunbroker and the like for around $400 pretty often.

So far, the gun has functioned flawlessly and I fully expect it to keep doing so.  The Pro is a realtively large gun, even with the smaller stippled grip; however, I have big hands, and the bigger rubber grip feels great.

The only downside is accessories.  The rail on the front is a funky Pro-only design and the accessories for it are pricey.  Holsters and such are a little harder to find than the stuff for the P-series Sigs, but plenty of options are out there.

The takedown may be a little bit tricky at first, but once you ahve done it 2 or 3 times it becomes relastively quick and easy--adds maybe 1-2 seconds to the total time.

Sig purists knock the Pro because of the polymer frame, but I like it and the lower weight that comes with it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Sig purists knock the Pro because of the polymer frame, but I like it and the lower weight that comes with it.

Yeah, but not just for the polymer frame.  That said, I have a Smigmo and it's never hiccuped yet.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll second all the positives.

But one negative nobody mentioned is the fact that there are no hi-cap mags available, unlike the other Sigs. ONLY 10 rounders for the SigPro...

But other than that, I'd say go for it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:44:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'll second all the positives.

But one negative nobody mentioned is the fact that there are no hi-cap mags available, unlike the other Sigs. ONLY 10 rounders for the SigPro...

But other than that, I'd say go for it.

Except, of course, in the 9mm. The 40/357 mags for the 2340 can be used in the 2009. Higher capacity, low cost and utter reliability.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top