Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2003 6:10:00 PM EDT
Some time ago I bought a P228 that I haven't shot yet.  I assumed it was new, but didn't ask.  The box included a small packet containing two spent 9mm casings, which I guess are from test firing the pistol; did other P228 owners here receive the same?  (I hadn't seen this with other pistols.)

From this, I guess the pistol must have been shot at least twice.  However, is there some good way to tell whether it's more than that?  I hear that experienced gunsmiths can look down a barrel and estimate how many bullets passed through it.  What do they look for exactly?  (Wear and tear, I suppose, but are there some specific things?)

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 4:26:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Your gun has certainly been test fired, and probably more than twice. The fired cases are included now by many manufacturers with all new handguns since it is easier than trying to determine which states require them to be submitted (more oppressive government policy) to the authorities when a pistol is purchased and which do not. Generally, the condition of the barrel alone can tell you if it has been shot a lot or a little, and what type...meaning jacketed or lead, etc...of rounds were fired...more or less...but it is not a "perfect science". High powered rifles are a little easier to diagnose with experience, (rounding off of "lands" on rifling, throat erosion, etc.) but damn few gunsmiths can do more than hazard an educated guess based only on the barrel of a handgun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Much like "checking the pedals on a used car" to determine the mileage, I prefer to check the bolt face, firing pin and trigger internals to make a determination on number of rounds fired.

With a new pistols sometimes ya can count the brass marks on the bolt face of semi-autos, this also works w/ Rem 700 bolts, as the last "used" one I bought had marks that indicated 4 rounds fired and I assumed this was "proofing" done at the factory, given high quality condition of the rest of the rifle.

I've heard of folks looking at the barrel, but my eyes are so bad upclose that I'd need a magnifying glass to notice and doubt I'd be able to tell other than one which was shot out.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks... I also found a couple other ways in the FAQ (basically look for circular markings on the barrel and some scuffing near the rails to see if it's been shot many times):

home.t-online.de/home/cswimm/sig/sigfaq16.htm

home.t-online.de/home/cswimm/sig/sigfaq17.htm

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Greetings,

If a gun has been shot a bit, there will be some erosion on the bolt face around the firing pin in a ring.  This is gas blow by around the primer.  I lube my guns, both slide rails and barrel, with a high tech lube called Termalene Magnalube G.  I have guns with thousands of rounds with no marks what-so-ever on the barrel or slide.  The gun looks completely new and unfired, except for this slight marking around the firing pin.  And....what does this tell you?  Not much.  The guns are still extremely accurate and reliable.  

I buy a lot of used guns because I am cheap. I have never seen a worn out pistol barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top