Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2003 7:53:34 PM EDT
I own a pre-ban p226 that I bought new back before the ban and love it but I've had problems with certain ammo jamming up in it. It's pretty scary looking when it happens. It does'nt happen that often but I don't shoot it that often either. I guess once is to much.When it discharged the spent caseing and then slid back forward to push the next bullet into the chamber the bullet was aimed straight up or out to the side pinched between the slide and the chamber. Is this from cheap ammo or is there something wrong with the gun. I don't shoot it enough to do a complete ammo survey so I was hoping somebody on here could help.

silas
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:53:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Personally, it sounds like a magazine issue to me.  I have a pre-ban P226 and the only lockups I have ever experienced are with new shooters limp-wristing it.  I have literally fired better than 10,000 rounds and never had a gun-related malfunction...and this with everything from CCI Blazer to Cor-Bon and everything in between.

Assuming you have two magazines, put a piece of tape or something on one of them so you can differentiate one from the other.  Go pick up a couple of boxes of that ammo you're having issues with and fire a box through each mag.  If it happens with both mags, it's time to send it off to SIGARMS.  However, I suspect it's simply a mag issue that can be easily remedied with a new mag.  Excellent condition factory P226 hicaps can be had for as little as $35 if you look around carefully.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:09:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree - more than likely a bad magazine but ftf
might be more likely with a bullet shape or profile
that the gun isn't really happy with.
If you identify a magazine that is bad or worse than another spend some time compareing the shape
of the feed lips . (good mag vs. bad mag) Before
you try to reshape a "bad" mag the first step is
to replace the spring and give it a complete
cleaning . Sometimes the brandname aftermarket
springs (wilson-wolf ?) are better than factory
replacement. I don't have any experience with
the p226 just talking semi auto in general
NHSPORT
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:54:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Aftermarket mag?

As for ammo, mine really likes a load with the IMI 115gr di-cut JHP bullet over unique. Very accurate.

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like your using "Blazer" ammo to me, there are quite a few pistols that have problems w/ the aluminum cases of Blazer. Stove-pipe jams are common w/ it.

Before re-workin your mags, I'd try decent ammo.

Also FWIW, any semi-auto pistol should have a proper breakin. I always make certain I shoot atleast 200 rounds of ammo through it, as like ARs, new pistols are tight and it's best to knock the "new" off 'em by shooting them enough to loosen them up.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:05:00 PM EDT
[#5]
  Thanks for the answers.I'm not sure what the limp wristing it remark means. I hope I'm not doing that,It does'nt sound like a fun crowd to be in. I think I'll go buy some ammo I read about on another post here. I'll also take a look at the mags.Well gotta go, my wrist is killing me.

Silas
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Limp wristing it is when you dont lock your wrist.  The gun depends on that resistance to cycle properly, or else it can short cycle.

Check your mags.  Use factory mags, and compare feed lips on them.  

I carry Speer 124gr +P Gold Dots in mine, and use cheap Walmart Winchester ball for practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top