Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2007 11:34:37 AM EDT
I'm not new to firearms but I'm relatively new to Sigs I suppose. I have shot several over the years on several different occasions. A couple months ago I found a great deal on a p226 tactical that I couldn't pass up. I have owned mostly HKs and 1911s and the occasional Beretta. I'm used to an extremely high hold, resting my thumb on the manual safety of a 1911. If I do the same kind of thing on my 226, of course, the slide will not lock back when the magazine is empty. I can't seem to find a comfortable place for my thumb to rest while I am firing and thus keep adjusting my grip. This is unacceptable.

So how do you more experienced Sig guys grip your guns? I would like to find the best way to grip my p226 and practice until I feel comfortable shooting it. Pictures would be much appreciated if possible.

Thanks, Sancho
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok Same grip as a 1911, Strong side thumb pointing to 11o'clock insted of 12. Middle joint on the right thumb meets the base joint on the left thumb.
Other tips:Reverse your mag release and use your trigger or middle finger on the right hand to release the mag. I find that using your strong side thumb makes you shift your grip to much and your 1911 fixated brain will "ride the safety" apon reaquiring your shooting grip. Same goes for the slide release, dont use it, When you do you'll try to reaquire your 1911 grip. Just slingshot the slide.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 3:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok Same grip as a 1911, Strong side thumb pointing to 11o'clock insted of 12. Middle joint on the right thumb meets the base joint on the left thumb.
Other tips:Reverse your mag release and use your trigger or middle finger on the right hand to release the mag. I find that using your strong side thumb makes you shift your grip to much and your 1911 fixated brain will "ride the safety" apon reaquiring your shooting grip. Same goes for the slide release, dont use it, When you do you'll try to reaquire your 1911 grip. Just slingshot the slide.

+1 that's how I hold my sig and I have never had a problem. I would say that my right thumb is more toward the 10 o'clock position or just in between 10 and 11...
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
for right handers, firing side thumb ontop of the suppport side thumb.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
for right handers, firing side thumb ontop of the suppport side thumb.

The best way to shoot a Sig!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top