Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2006 4:00:09 PM EDT
reviews?
Link Posted: 9/18/2006 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
i myself have never used it but ive heard so many problems from people who do own them
Link Posted: 9/18/2006 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate those freaking things..... their so annoying..... and West Nile is a bit of a scare here too.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2006 7:34:17 PM EDT
[#3]
They had their problems when they first came out. However, I bought one of the first models for my fiancee, and we've never had a problem with it.
It's definitely a fun little pistol, and my girl loves it. I'm sure the newer models have the bugs worked out, and I think it's worth a look if you want a .22 autoloader.
Link Posted: 9/18/2006 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#4]
from what Ive heard they are picky with ammo just like the p22.  Run good ammo and keep it clean and it should run just fine........
Link Posted: 9/19/2006 5:46:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a hell of a time with my Mosquito(s).  The first one I bought had numerous FTFs and FTEs.  It wouldn't feed half the time, and with some ammo it would not cycle at all.  I sent it to Sig for repairs, but they replaced it instead.  After a 4 month wait, I got the new one.

The replacement suffers from the same problems as the first.  When it does run good, I have to clean it after putting a few magazines through, because otherwise it will start to misfeed frequently after 30-50 rounds or so.  I've tried everything to get it to shoot trouble free, from scrubbing the magazines clean to buying and testing brand new magazines to lubing the ammo and lubing the gun to varying degrees.  Nothing works to make it run for more than 50 rounds continuously.  I have more than 800 rounds through it now.  Maybe I'm expecting too much from a rimfire pistol?

When it works, it's a boatload of fun.  If you buy one, it will not function well on low or standard velocity rounds; it wants high and hyper velocity stuff like Spitfires and Yellow Jackets.  Don't even mess with any other type of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2006 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#6]
height=8
Quoted:
Maybe I'm expecting too much from a rimfire pistol?

No, problems after 50 rounds is pretty bad. I have a buckmark that I'll shoot 200+ rounds out of every trip to the range, and never had a jam or FTE. And thats with mostly cheap bricks of ammo.

It's unfortunate a lot of people have had problems with the Mosquito. It seems like a really nice pistol. Not too many 22lr pistols out there with a full length slide either.
Link Posted: 9/19/2006 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice little pistol and never had any problems with mine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2006 4:36:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Price check - what does a NIB version run for these days?
Link Posted: 9/20/2006 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine has run perfect. I've only put 500-600 rounds through it, but it's eaten everything, MiniMags, Stingers, even el Cheapo Thunderbolts with no problem whatsoever. The only maintenance I've done is a brush down the barrell and oiled the slide a couple times. Takedown is a breeze, and it feels and functions very much like my old P226.

I've read some less than stellar reviews that were going around. The current model has apparently addressed most of those issues, and I think much of the criticism came from some Sig snobs expecting $900 pistol performance out of a $350 plinker.

Link Posted: 9/22/2006 4:29:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Mine works better with the Sig lube it came with.  Seems a bit thinner than CLP, which is what I usually use.  It is pretty accurate, for a non-match gun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2006 4:38:53 AM EDT
[#11]
My buddy and fellow ARFCOM'mer, Pappy1 bought one, and after about six months
he sold it. He tried different springs, and about 10 different brands of ammo, and never
could get it to function reliably.

On the plus side, it was very accurate.

Link Posted: 9/22/2006 5:26:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My buddy and fellow ARFCOM'mer, Pappy1 bought one, and after about six months
he sold it.

I would sell mine if I could get any real money back for it.  But then again I won't sell something to someone if I'm not confident it will work for them, as this is the very definition of a problem gun.  I won't pass it on.

I've decided mine's going back to Sig again, and they're going to give me either a 226 or a 229 as a replacement.  I've spent more than $350 on this pistol; actually closer to $600 for everything on this gun, including the target package, a few extra magazines, and almost a year of frustration and aggravation.

I think that's worth a 226 or a 229.

I'm sick of people telling me I got what I paid for, especially those who own trouble-free Mosquitoes.  You paid as much as I did, and yours works.  I’ve gone through two that don’t.  I paid for a SigSauer.  I don't expect it to run like a $900 pistol--- I expect it to simply RUN.
Link Posted: 9/22/2006 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I've read some less than stellar reviews that were going around. The current model has apparently addressed most of those issues, and I think much of the criticism came from some Sig snobs expecting $900 pistol performance out of a $350 plinker.

I think people would just be happy if it had Ruger MKll preformance!
Link Posted: 9/22/2006 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#14]
thanks for the info, was thinking about picking one up as a possible suppressed pistol.
my go with the P22, though it aint much better it sounds.

thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 5:21:20 AM EDT
[#15]
If you want a suppressor, it will be easier to do on the P22.  All it takes is the (non-NFA) adapter nut for the barrel.  The Mosquito requires much more work, by a gunsmith to get to a threaded barrel.  That equals more $ and time, obviously.  I don't know that either gun has QA issues per se.  I think the problems with them are more of the 'trying to do do much with too little' kind.  I've owned and liked both, but they are plinkers and 'fun' guns, not to be taken seriously for anything hazardous bigger than a snake.
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 5:30:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Avoid the Sig.  Buy a used Ruger and you will have extra $$$ left to start on getting a can:

Link Posted: 9/23/2006 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you want a suppressor, it will be easier to do on the P22.  All it takes is the (non-NFA) adapter nut for the barrel.  The Mosquito requires much more work, by a gunsmith to get to a threaded barrel.  That equals more $ and time, obviously.  I don't know that either gun has QA issues per se.  I think the problems with them are more of the 'trying to do do much with too little' kind.  I've owned and liked both, but they are plinkers and 'fun' guns, not to be taken seriously for anything hazardous bigger than a snake.

The Mosquito has a threaded barrel model.
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Mosquito has a threaded barrel model.

Solves that problem, then.  Thanks, Thirsty, I didn't know that.  I bought mine on a whim in the funshop with no research.
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
 I've owned and liked both, but they are plinkers and 'fun' guns, not to be taken seriously for anything hazardous bigger than a snake.

Tell that to this guy who was killed near my house with a .22 pistol. Five shots...Chest, abdomen, arm, and one in each leg.
Every gun should be taken seriously.

Man Arraigned In Slaying Of Teenager

Says He Was Protecting Home When He Shot Youth Armed With Bat
September 22, 2006
By HILDA MUÑOZ, Courant Staff Writer  NEW BRITAIN -- Mario Colon's girlfriend kept getting phone calls from her ex, and Mario meant to do something about it.

So he went to the boy's Maple Street home Tuesday night with a baseball bat, according to court documents released Thursday.

But as he stood on the boy's front porch, Juan Gonzalez, the boy's stepfather, was there with a .22-caliber pistol, and he emptied it into Colon, the arrest affidavit states.

Colon, 17, died of multiple gunshot wounds, the state medical examiner's office said. He was pronounced dead at 9:46 p.m. Tuesday at New Britain General Hospital, police said.

Gonzalez, 41, was arraigned in Superior Court Thursday on charges of murder, criminal use of a firearm and criminal possession of a firearm. His bail was set at $750,000.

Peter W. Soulsby, who represented Gonzalez during the court proceeding, said his client maintains he shot Colon in self-defense.

"He feels terrible about what happened, but he does say he was defending himself and his family," Soulsby said.

Colon was angry and thought it was disrespectful that his girlfriend, Xiomara Vazquez, continued getting calls from her ex-boyfriend, the affidavit states. Vazquez told police that she, Colon and another male drove to her former boyfriend's home at 206 Maple St.

Colon was dropped off at the end of the street while Vazquez and the other male drove around the block, the affidavit states. Vazquez told police that when the car pulled up in front of 206 Maple, she saw Colon "rolling down" the steps, according to the affidavit.

Colon crawled into the back seat and told Vazquez that he had been shot. They drove him to New Britain General Hospital.

Gonzalez told police he took his revolver from a shed in his backyard after hearing someone yelling in Spanish, "[Expletive], I'm going to kill you," the affidavit said. Soon, he saw Colon on his front porch holding an aluminum bat, Gonzalez said.

Colon looked ready to swing. That's when Gonzalez pulled out his gun and fired one shot, the affidavit states. But the single shot only slowed Colon down, so Gonzalez fired until the gun was empty, he told police.

"I stood in the same spot when I shot the gun, but when I continued firing at him I knew I hit him because he was falling down the front steps," he said, according to the affidavit.

Contact Hilda Muñoz at [email protected].  
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 5:35:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 I've owned and liked both, but they are plinkers and 'fun' guns, not to be taken seriously for anything hazardous bigger than a snake.

Tell that to this guy who was killed near my house with a .22 pistol. Five shots...Chest, abdomen, arm, and one in each leg.
Every gun shoould be taken seriously.

Lighten up.  That's a given.  Anyone who doesn't understand that any 'gun' is dangerous in the wrong hands, or when handled poorly, is an idiot, and shouldn't have one.  You know what I meant, unless you carry a .22 pistol for a CCW, which I don't recommend.  You may disagree.  The PP and Mosquito are not for 'serious' work, only practice and 'fun' plinking, not for carry in hazardous situations.  Unless you work for the CIA assassin squad, of course.

Let me expound a bit, in a 'serious' vein.  If we all put the disclaimers on every post that some seem to think are necessary, the Avila's would need a bunch more server storage.  The OP wasn't asking about range safety, or weapons safety training, or the relative effectiveness of specific calibers.  Semantics is tough.  But there is such a thing as precision without accuracy.  We are all different, with differing backgrounds and experience, so I will explain myself.  When I speak of 'serious' work, with any gun, it involves defensive or offensive encounters with dangerous opponents.  Not punching paper or pop cans.  That is 'fun' work.  I will freely admit that not everyone might read what I say the same way.  I think my post in question was sufficiently clear in that respect.  YMMV.   I obviously tripped something that caused you to be offended, or at least upset enough for you to feel the need to 'correct' my gross faux pas.  I'm sorry about that.  But if I didn't post anything that offended someone, or covered absolutely every possible interpretation of the language, then I would have to quit posting, writing, and even speaking out loud in public.  Or my posts, usually long enough already, would grow exponentially.  And the same could be said for anyone here.  

To summarize.  I agree with the basic thrust of what you posted, but I didn't think it necessary to remind everyone that if you shoot someone with a .22, it might harm, hurt, or even kill them.  True for any 'gun', in the conventional sense that we use the word 'gun'.  Again, I apologize for not being clear enough on this point to suit you.

Link Posted: 9/24/2006 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#21]

I'm sick of people telling me I got what I paid for, especially those who own trouble-free Mosquitoes.  You paid as much as I did, and yours works.  I’ve gone through two that don’t.  I paid for a SigSauer.  I don't expect it to run like a $900 pistol--- I expect it to simply RUN.

I'm not sure why you think Sig would be liable to provide you with a 226 as a replacement for a Mosquito, but that's your beef.

All I can say is my Mosquito has performed flawlessly with a variety of ammo. Good luck with your claim, let us know how it turns out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm not sure why you think Sig would be liable to provide you with a 226 as a replacement for a Mosquito, but that's your beef.

During the 4 month wait for my replacement Mosquito , that was one of the options presented to me by the Sig Customer Service manager should my Mosquito not have been in the shipment from Germany.  It came then, but I'm going to see now whether they make good on the switch now.

My buddy's Mosquito is flawless too.  That's the frustrating part.  I don't know why The two that I've gone through didn't work worth shit, and his one works perfect.
Link Posted: 9/24/2006 9:06:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lighten up.  That's a given.  Anyone who doesn't understand that any 'gun' is dangerous in the wrong hands, or when handled poorly, is an idiot, and shouldn't have one.  You know what I meant, unless you carry a .22 pistol for a CCW, which I don't recommend.  You may disagree.  The PP and Mosquito are not for 'serious' work, only practice and 'fun' plinking, not for carry in hazardous situations.  Unless you work for the CIA assassin squad, of course.

Let me expound a bit, in a 'serious' vein.  If we all put the disclaimers on every post that some seem to think are necessary, the Avila's would need a bunch more server storage.  The OP wasn't asking about range safety, or weapons safety training, or the relative effectiveness of specific calibers.  Semantics is tough.  But there is such a thing as precision without accuracy.  We are all different, with differing backgrounds and experience, so I will explain myself.  When I speak of 'serious' work, with any gun, it involves defensive or offensive encounters with dangerous opponents.  Not punching paper or pop cans.  That is 'fun' work.  I will freely admit that not everyone might read what I say the same way.  I think my post in question was sufficiently clear in that respect.  YMMV.   I obviously tripped something that caused you to be offended, or at least upset enough for you to feel the need to 'correct' my gross faux pas.  I'm sorry about that.  But if I didn't post anything that offended someone, or covered absolutely every possible interpretation of the language, then I would have to quit posting, writing, and even speaking out loud in public.  Or my posts, usually long enough already, would grow exponentially.  And the same could be said for anyone here.  

To summarize.  I agree with the basic thrust of what you posted, but I didn't think it necessary to remind everyone that if you shoot someone with a .22, it might harm, hurt, or even kill them.  True for any 'gun', in the conventional sense that we use the word 'gun'.  Again, I apologize for not being clear enough on this point to suit you.

Wow......Lighten up man.
Link Posted: 9/26/2006 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought the threaded barrel version a few months back and have shot everything thru mine with no problems.  Approximately 1/2 of my 2000ish rounds have been through my Outback II.  

I'm not sure if Sig made any modifications to the early guns, but mine does not have any issues whatsoever.  Buy with confidence.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2006 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#25]
wildearp,

who did the conversion on your 22/45? Sweet! I have a 22/45 already, and may consider getting the upper threaded like you have it. Did you have the front sight moved back, threaded and a protector made?

Looks nice.

Link Posted: 9/26/2006 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#26]
hit or miss as to wether it will work great, or not work well at all.  Just make sure you get it from a dealer who is good to work with and will be willing to trade it back for you just in case.
Link Posted: 10/1/2006 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been lurking around this post for a while.  I'm looking into getting my wife a .22 pistol.  She shot with a Ruger and liked the .22 caliber, but wants a Walther P22 for the aesthetics and ergonomics.  She definately wants something that functions like a "real" gun, so it is between a P22 and Mosquito.

If I'm not mistaken, then it seems like niether are really reliable.  She will eventually step up to a 9mm, and I'm starting to think that it might not be a bad idea to just get her a .38 instead...

She's just getting into shooting and I don't want to get her something that will ultimately frustrate her at the range.
Link Posted: 10/1/2006 10:52:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, I just impulsively bought a threaded Mosquito from Sportsman's Warehouse for $399 as the person who ordered it must have read this thread and cancelled the order after the fact.  I looked at all the other .22 autoloaders and it was the best ergonomically for me although I liked the Browning Camper nearly as well.  Assuming the gun functions properly, I'm going to get some sort of suppressor for it.

I'll get to try it over the weekend and will post back here after I shoot a few different loads.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought my Mosquito back in September '05, maybe 500 rounds through it now.  Like some, it has frequent FTF's...with a bunch of different ammo.  Only ammo with no FTF is CCI Mini Mag.  Gun is fun to shoot when it runs...wish mine was not so picky about ammo.  Hat's off to those of you who do not have any issues.
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Had a chance to use the Mosquito today.  I've done some extensive reading about it and its ammo likes and dislikes.  Also briefly talked to Sig customer service.  I noted in the box a couple of recommendations for Remington Golden Bullet (one of my favorite .22 rounds) and CCI Mini-Mags (one of my favorite 10/22 squirrel rounds).  I also have a variety of other .22 ammo including Winchester Dynapoint.

I went out to my pasture after cleaning and relubing the gun (I like CLP)  and using the light spring at Sig's suggestion.  I decided to try the Winchester.  The first mag fed flawlessly and was as accurate as I'd expect with this gun.  Starting with the second mag, it was as disasterous as so many people have reported.  FTFeed, FTE on round after round.  Absolutely horrible.  I went through around 50-70 rounds before I gave it up.  Ran into my shop to break the pistol down and inspect it.  Looked fine so I reassembled it.

Got a carton of the Golden Bullets out and fed it 100 rounds.  It ran perfectly.  No FTF, no FTE.  It likes the Remington GB .22.  Quite accurate based on my expectations: 2-3" groups at 25' using a two-handed combat hold.

Didn't bother to try the Mini-Mags as the GB's are cheaper and worked flawlessly in my Skeeter.  Now that I have some confidence in the gun, I'm going to start the process for a suppressor.  I bought the Sig because it has a threaded barrel already.  Might have to pick up a little P22 too!

.22 auto-loading pistols are known to be ammo sensitive, some far more than others.  The Skeeter is one that seems to be more sensitive.  So what?  Buy the right ammo and it's a great gun.  I found the trigger starting smoothing out nicely by 100 rounds.  I expect it will get better.

FWIW, my serial # is A026***, made in May of '06.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow, someone said they would report back and actually did it!

When you say FTF and FTE, how exactly is it happening?

For the FTF, are they not seating fully?

For the FTE, are the rounds stuck inside the barrel and the extractor not holding on tight enough?

I still haven't purchased one because I don't have a clear answer on what is actually happening.

My main concern is lite strikes... As long as it doesn't have that and the malfunctions are clarified, I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 11:52:47 PM EDT
[#34]
well J-L,

i just bought a Walther P22 last week and shot over 1000 rounds thru it so far.  all types of ammo, from CCI to federal, and not one problem.  they worked out the bugs and the newer models are getting good reviews.

http://www.tonyrogers.com/weapons/walther_p22.htm

check this review out, it might help!  godd luck..www.tonyrogers.com/weapons/walther_p22.htm
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#36]
My friend who is a dyed-in-the-wool SIG guy, and VERY knowledgeable about the whole SIG line, does not care for them and warned me to avoid them.  I know its not first hand experience, but FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Please dont contribute to review, unless you own or have shot one.

+1

That could be said about MANY of the product review threads on this site.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#39]
My wife tried out a P22 and found that her fingers were too long and kept accidentally hitting the mag release at the rear of the trigger guard.  So, it looks like we will have to get her a Mosquito instead.

She held a Mosquito at the gun store and it fit her hand much better.  She is definately more partial to the two-toned model.  So, what is a good price for the Mosquito?  The store wants about $450 for it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 4:56:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
She held a Mosquito at the gun store and it fit her hand much better.  She is definately more partial to the two-toned model.  So, what is a good price for the Mosquito?  The store wants about $450 for it.

I don't know about the two-tone model, but I picked up my blued version for $380
Link Posted: 10/22/2006 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know about the two-tone model, but I picked up my blued version for $380

Pre tax?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pre tax?

Bought one not too long ago, paid 385 for it out the door. i'm happy with it. i put little over 400 rounds and never have any problem, i'm using remington thunderbolt ammo.
it did fail to eject a couple of times after 400 rounds, chamber is getting a little tight from burnt powder. i ran a bore snake throught it and keep shooting.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:24:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Ok, so I got the Mosquito and will be giving it to my wife for Chanukah.  So, here are some questions:

1. I know .22's shouldn't be dry-fired, but I've heard that you can dry fire a Mosquito when the safety is engaged.  True?

2. What are the best mags to use for with a Mosquito?

3. Are there any places I should make sure get lubed more than others?  I've never owned a .22 and this will be my wife's 1st one too.

4. Is decocking the Mosquito the best way to bring the hammer down without dryfiring?

I know some of these questions sound stupid, but I don't want either of us doing anything that could screw up her pistol.  .22's seem to be a whole different breed from centerfire pistols.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
1. I know .22's shouldn't be dry-fired, but I've heard that you can dry fire a Mosquito when the safety is engaged.  True?

2. What are the best mags to use for with a Mosquito?

3. Are there any places I should make sure get lubed more than others?  I've never owned a .22 and this will be my wife's 1st one too.

4. Is decocking the Mosquito the best way to bring the hammer down without dryfiring?

1. Safety engaged should be fine.

2. The only mags available are original factory mags. I got 3 for $90 on ebay.

3. I recommend keeping it clean and dry. You may want to lightly lube some .22lr cartridges before loading the mags.

4. Yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top