Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2002 8:10:37 AM EDT
I can't remember where I saw it, but I swear I read a thread awhile back on modifying Beretta 92 mags to function reliably in the Sig P-226. I may be adding a P-226 to my collection soon and was wondering if anyone has any information on how this is done. I couldn't find any info at SigForums - any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Why?

Lots and lots of hicap 226 mags available at good prices.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#2]
 The P-226 mag prices are reasonable but I still own (5) Beretta mags after having sold the Beretta. If I purchase the P226 mags I'd have to go for the factory 15 round mags - I haven't seen these under $60 and dislike most aftermarket mags - except MecGar.I once heard that the Beretta mags could be modified and since I prefer to have at least 5 mags this could save a lot of $$. A credible source (on AR-15.com) once mentioned modifying the Beretta mags - I just can't remember who.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 1:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
While it may be possible, you will be much better off to sell your Berettas and buy Sigs.
Link Posted: 12/4/2002 7:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Give it a try, they may well work without modification and even if some mods are needed it will probably only be to reshap the mag catch hole. I do know that both 92 and 226 mags work well in the Springfield XD.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it certainly does work.

You'll need to cut holes approx. 1/2" above the existing holes in the Beretta mags to catch.  Can be done simply with a Dremel, but go in increments to ensure that you do not cut a hole too big.  Best if you have a 226 or even a 228 mag on hand so you can see the difference in hole locations.

Good luck.  :)
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 4 of these, purchased this way. I was told they work in the 226/8/9, but haven't had the luxury of trying that yet. Work flawless in the 92fs though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Why take the risk of damaging those preban Berettas when you could just sell them and get a couple real SIG mags?  You KNOW the SIG mags will work.  If you or who ever does the conversion is just a bit off, you've now got a Beretta mag that wont work in your SIG and a Beretta mag with and extra hole in it that wasnt meant to be there.  Find someone that sells both used and offer to work out a trade.

I just now bumped into this:
www.kieslersonline.com/product/ko_preOwnedFactoryMags.asp

Hardly seems worth it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 4:27:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I may take the jump and invest in SIG mags but at $40-$60 each for factory quality - I may just modify the Berettas which cost me next to nothing anyway - remember when Beretta mags went for $10-$15 each?.... If I don't feel confident modifying the Beretta mags I can have a machinist friend do it. I'll check it out though. Thanks for the advice BTW.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top