Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 7:06:23 AM EDT
I have a Sig P239. I want to know how to get the firing pin and extractor out so I can give it a good cleaning. It has about two thousand rounds through it so I imagine it could use the cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Push the plunger behind the extractor further in using a very small 1/16" punch or small screwdriver.  Carefully control the extractor and allow it to drop out and control the extractor plunger and spring.  The slide doesn't need to be disassembled further for cleaning, if it's that bad send it to SIGARMs for rebuild.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:31:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I got word from a certified Sig armorer that the firing pin in the P239 is not servicable. It is a one time use item and requires a hydraulic press to remove. It also does not need to be lubed as that will only attract more dirt. Being a 1911 owner that totally goes against every cell in my brain but I will have to trust a Sig Armorer.

He also told me that he has a police friend that has over 60,000 rounds through a P239 with no firing pin cleaning or lube and that the only maintenance the guy does is to replace the recoil spring every 5,000 rounds.

I have got to say that i am very glad I picked a Sig P239 over the Glock 19 I was going to buy. It feels so good to have a metal gun in my hand and this thing just shoots so accurately. It is also nice to have the DA to carry and the SA for the follow up shots.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I got word from a certified Sig armorer that the firing pin in the P239 is not servicable. It is a one time use item and requires a hydraulic press to remove. It also does not need to be lubed as that will only attract more dirt. Being a 1911 owner that totally goes against every cell in my brain but I will have to trust a Sig Armorer.

He also told me that he has a police friend that has over 60,000 rounds through a P239 with no firing pin cleaning or lube and that the only maintenance the guy does is to replace the recoil spring every 5,000 rounds.

I have got to say that i am very glad I picked a Sig P239 over the Glock 19 I was going to buy. It feels so good to have a metal gun in my hand and this thing just shoots so accurately. It is also nice to have the DA to carry and the SA for the follow up shots.

If this is true,its pretty piss poor engineering!What if your firing pin spring becomes weak?I have a P239, and now you have me wondering,I just assumed that the pin that goes through the slide held in the firing pin and spring.I guess one of these days I am going to have to get a Sig armorers video.Anyone else got any input on this?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#4]
The P239 firing pin is removable, but can be tough to get the position pin out. You need a short 3mm cup tip starter punch to get it started and followed through with the standard size 3mm cup tip punch. Sig says the pin is a one time use pin, but I have seen guys reuse them. One side of the pin is knurled, but I don't recall which way is best to drive it out.

Tom
TOP GUN SUPPLY
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#5]
That makes perfect sense!Its the firing pin retaining pin that is one time use ,not the firing pin.I feel better now at least I can service my pistol if need be with the appropiate punchs!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a certified Sig armorer; the factory does not recommend reusing the Firing Pin Positioning Pin again.  Also, you must put the firing pin back in a certain way to allow passage of the positioning pin.  All things on Sigs push out to the left, go in from the left.

TA is correct, you have to have certain cupped punches to remove the pins out of the Sig.  My recommendation is to seek the help of a certified Sig armorer...

ETA: there is also a trick to getting the extractor out of the slide, a Sig armorer's tool is recommended...
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:26:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am a certified Sig armorer; the factory does not recommend reusing the Firing Pin Positioning Pin again.  Also, you must put the firing pin back in a certain way to allow passage of the positioning pin.  All things on Sigs push out to the left, go in from the left.

TA is correct, you have to have certain cupped punches to remove the pins out of the Sig.  My recommendation is to seek the help of a certified Sig armorer...

ETA: there is also a trick to getting the extractor out of the slide, a Sig armorer's tool is recommended...

With the right tools ,I could figure it out!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Soory for the misinfo guys. I misunderstood what i was told. I guess that is why this website is so good because the people here have taught me so much.

So let me be sure I have this right. If I need to service my firing pin it can be done, but I need a new positioning pin? Someone said everything pushes out to the left so don't that mean I would push from the right?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:36:20 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Soory for the misinfo guys. I misunderstood what i was told. I guess that is why this website is so good because the people here have taught me so much.

So let me be sure I have this right. If I need to service my firing pin it can be done, but I need a new positioning pin? Someone said everything pushes out to the left so don't that mean I would push from the right?

Correct, but it's a real bear to knock out the slide pin.  The pin is installed with a hydraulic press when it's assembled at the factory.  It's so difficult to remove that a well known pistolsmith Bruce Gray makes a drilling jig to help remove the pin (and SIGARMS in NH is looking at buying some of them or already may have).  Like I said unless you break the slide pin or firing pin you shouldn't mess with it.  If you just have to dick with it I guess I can't talk you out of it.    Pain and spent money are wonderful teachers.

If you need more info contact  [email protected]   He was my instructor at the SIG armorers course at Blackwater in Dec 05, he's also the Director of Training at the SIGARMS Academy.  Bruce Gray can be reached at  [email protected]  He also does awesome trigger work on SIGs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:52:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info. I will just wait for my Sig to need service and then I will take it to a certified repair shop. From everything i hear about these guns under normal or even fairly extreme circumstances they are very good and last a long time. Like I said i have heard of people having these guns for over 60,000 rounds without need of slide disassembly. I am just going to save my money to buy a Glock 19 so if either one ever needs factory service I will have the other one for backup. This way i will have what i consider to be the best gun (Sig) and the closest runner up (Glock)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top