Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 6:36:48 AM EDT
I think it may be time for a new barrel. It is an older West German P226 9mm, with stamped steel slide. Still functions perfectly, but it seems accuracy has fallen off some. It was used when I bought it, & I've put a few thousand rounds through it myself without a hitch. Does it sound like I should replace barrel? The slide has hardly any play & still locks up in battery solid.

If so, where do I find a good replacement barrel for this older pistol?

Only thing I've done is replace grips. I've noticed the rifling in barrel looks worn prety well compared to a new Sig I handled. I'm hoping a new barrel will restore accuracy, as I don't want to let it go.

Appreciate the help,
HS

Here is a pic of gun:
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:52:18 AM EDT
[#1]
1) Where do you notice the wear?
2) Does the Crown look "Perfect"?
3) Is the barrel perfectly clean? Any Copper?
4) What do you use to lube the gun?
5) How do you measure Accuracy?
6) What ammo are you using to measure accuracy? Remington?
6) "Before" and "After" group size and at what range?
7) How is your lock-up? With slide closed, if you push on the top of the barrel at the chamber, is there ANY movement?
8) Are your sights tight?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
1) Where do you notice the wear?
2) Does the Crown look "Perfect"?
3) Is the barrel perfectly clean? Any Copper?
4) What do you use to lube the gun?
5) How do you measure Accuracy?
6) What ammo are you using to measure accuracy? Remington?
6) "Before" and "After" group size and at what range?
7) How is your lock-up? With slide closed, if you push on the top of the barrel at the chamber, is there ANY movement?
8) Are your sights tight?

Wear is just lands are not very high, kinda smooth.
The crown looks fine.
I keep it clean & no copper build up noticed.
I use Break Free to clean & lube in general with some Tetra gun grease in key areas like slide. Also some of Butch's bore shine in bore
I measure accuracy in that my 11 yard groups have opened up several inches compared to last year.
I use Winchester range ammo (bought a bunch of it). Also some other factory loads. But the WIn shot good for me last year & I still have about 500 rounds left.
No moevement in barrel when slide is locked.
Yes I checked sights they are locked in position they ahave always been, tight.
Oh, goup size used to be around 2" - 3" for me quick firing from a standing position. They seem to be more like 4" - 6" now.

Maybe I'm just falling off, but I've noticed this on last 3 range trips.

Thanks,
HS
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I would guess the gun is good...
I suggest to check your shooting ability (and the guns) using a sand bag bench rest with that gun and another of known capability at 25 yds or closer if that range is not available. Even better is to find a shooter capable of shooting say at least 2" groups at 25 yds from a bench rest. I have shot many thousands of rounds with Winchester White Box and think it is good enough for testing. I normally bench rest shoot 1.5" to 2" groups with my 226 Sport Stock 9mm using this ammo at 25yds. I have bench rested many Sigs and all except for one bad one grouped less than 2.5" with 5 shots groups at 25yds in all calibers. (That bad one had malfunctions and was sent back to the factory...replaced... and the replacement shot around 2"..) This is also not counting an occasional flyer which is probably my fault.

IMO, for a Sig to shoot 3 or more inches at 11yds means there is something Really wrong with it.

Don't know your shooting ability, but do you go for the "surprise" shot?
Are you able to "Call" your shot? (notice *EXACTLY* where the sights were pointed when then shot fired)
Also you might have someone load a couple of mags and put a snap cap in one of them at a position not known to you. This will show if your flinching. When you attempt to fire on the snap cap, notice if there is *ANY* movement of the sights..

I also suggest reading the Army Marksmanship manual. While it discusses Bullseye shooting, the shooting principles still apply.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Check the pins in the frame to see if the steel pins have made the holes in the aluminum larger/egg-shaped.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:01:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Check the pins in the frame to see if the steel pins have made the holes in the aluminum larger/egg-shaped.

Good point, and also that the bridge in the frame where the barrel locks and pushes up on the barrel is tight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Any links for a drop in replacment barrel for my Sig? Or is there some gunsmithing required?

I was concerned that a barrel for newer manufactured 226's would be different from my older German made pistol.

I'll check closer tonite, but it really doesn't look like there is any abnormal wear on pins either. Still prety tight. In fact the barrel looks like it has had a lot of action compared to the rest of the gun. Makes me wonder if this is actualy the original barrel.

Thanks,
HS
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#7]
You can get a new barrel from Sig or an other brand. One that many use is Bar Sto. They have a semi drop in and a Fitted type.
The semi drop in usually works with no fitting required.
Semi drop in FAQ:
http://www.barsto.com/FAQs.cfm?C1=1002
Barrels:
http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=SSB

The Sig barrels normally show a lot of wear marks. The top has what are called "Smilley faces". As long as you cant "feel" the ridges it is ok.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I may try one & see if I get an improvement.  Thanks for the links.

HS
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd call Sig CS and ask their opinion, and then most likely buy a new factory barrel.  But I'd try some of the other suggestions first.  Great classic P226 BTW.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:28:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Are the new grips you put on loose in any way?  Are they the same style grips?  Try the other grips again and see if you go back to where you were shooting before.  My bro had some troubles with his 226 when he changed grips.  He went back and the accuracy came back.  Evidently the "new" grips were a bit loose on the frame and allowed the gun to walk when he was shooting it.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I may call Sig when I get a chance. The grips are identical to what came on the pistol. The old style plastic type. Only difference is the new checkering points are nice & tacky. I shot well with these grips last year.

Thanks for help,
HS
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Your barrel may be leaded.  Shiny is nice, but if you arent getting all the lead out, the lead will become shiny and blend with the barrel.  I would suggest using either FP-10 or RB-17, with a strong preferance going to RB17.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top