Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 7:20:46 PM EDT
Okay guys, I have one lowly Sig P226 9mm that is 22 years old.  I can't decide if I should get a newer one, or pick up a P220 to add to my existing .45 ACP collection.  

What would you do?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#1]
There is no such thing as a lowly P226.

I just got a P229, and its become my favorite, but you can never have too many.  Looking for a P220 next myself.

edit: IBTP
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
There is no such thing as a lowly P226.

I totally agree because this has been the most accurate and reliable pistol I have ever owned!  I don't know if it has reached collector status, but, I really don't want to shoot it too much more.  Currently, it is the only 9mm that I own, and I can't decide if I want another 9mm or if I should just standardize with 45s from here on out.

Quoted:
I just got a P229, and its become my favorite, but you can never have too many.  Looking for a P220 next myself.

I am in no big hurry to purchase another gun, so I will look around and hold a few other Sig models while I am at it.  I think I either want another Sig or another 1911.  Dang it, I should have added GSR to the poll.

Quoted:
edit: IBTP

I didn't realize that I had to post a thread in order to add a poll.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a P220Carry
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
229 DAK
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#5]
If there is nothing wrong with the 226.. Shoot and Enjoy it!
...And get a 220!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:18:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Do not give up on the 226.  It's still got plenty of life in it.  There was a local range that had a rental 226 that went beyond 800,000 documented rounds before the frame cracked.  Shoot the hell out of your 226, that's what it's made for.  You can't go wrong with the 220, I much prefer the single stack mags.  Your 226 holsters will probably fit a 220.  If you get one, I'd go with one made between 1994 and ~2000.  They had longer mainsprings which resulted in smoother (but slightly heavier) triggers.  Either that or you could get a new one and then put the longer mainspring in it.  I think it makes a big difference, but you may not care.  Just for fun, you might check out the 225.  MJD
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do not give up on the 226.  It's still got plenty of life in it.  There was a local range that had a rental 226 that went beyond 800,000 documented rounds before the frame cracked.  Shoot the hell out of your 226, that's what it's made for.  You can't go wrong with the 220, I much prefer the single stack mags.  Your 226 holsters will probably fit a 220.  If you get one, I'd go with one made between 1994 and ~2000.  They had longer mainsprings which resulted in smoother (but slightly heavier) triggers.  Either that or you could get a new one and then put the longer mainspring in it.  I think it makes a big difference, but you may not care.  Just for fun, you might check out the 225.  MJD

I am not giving up on the 226, I am just shifting its function to range duty.  I no longer wanted to use it as my vehicle defense weapon because I would hate to have it stolen from my vehicle (even though it is in a lock box inside the car).  As a result, I started keeping my Glock 21 locked in the vehicle as my vehicle defense weapon.  I just don't care if the Glock gets stolen because it is easily replaced, whereas a 1984 German Made Sig isn't as easy to come by!

Thanks for the advice on the 220.  I was thinking new, but then realized how much I could save by going used.  I will keep an eye out for a used one in good condition.  Of course, I will look into other Sig models, but as I stated in another post, I am looking to standardize calibers.  I am thinking that 45 ACP is all I will buy in handguns from here on out.  Naturally, I will break the .45 only rule if a good deal comes along!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not giving up on the 226, I am just shifting its function to range duty.  I no longer wanted to use it as my vehicle defense weapon because I would hate to have it stolen from my vehicle (even though it is in a lock box inside the car).  As a result, I started keeping my Glock 21 locked in the vehicle as my vehicle defense weapon.  I just don't care if the Glock gets stolen because it is easily replaced, whereas a 1984 German Made Sig isn't as easy to come by!

Thanks for the advice on the 220.  I was thinking new, but then realized how much I could save by going used.  I will keep an eye out for a used one in good condition.  Of course, I will look into other Sig models, but as I stated in another post, I am looking to standardize calibers.  I am thinking that 45 ACP is all I will buy in handguns from here on out.  Naturally, I will break the .45 only rule if a good deal comes along!

In that case get another 226! You know it well and Higher capacity for LEO..
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Sig 226........the finest combat handgun ever made.

I'd go with the 226 but caliber is not a big thing for me.  I love my 220 just as much though too.

Hell, get both!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]
James at Ordnance Outsellers

Hit James up for a CPO Sig. They're terrific.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Both could be a good retirement investment!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top