Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 1:06:10 PM EDT
I'm getting a new P220R soon, and was wondering if there's anything about the different finishes that I should be aware of;

what are the advantages of the Nitron finish over blued or stainless, or vice versa? Is Nitron more corrosion resistant?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Nitron impregnates the pores of the steel, it makes the stainless below it even more corrosion resistant.  Still susceptible to scratches, but even if it looks worn through, its still in the metal.  Good stuff.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nitron impregnates the pores of the steel, it makes the stainless below it even more corrosion resistant.  Still susceptible to scratches, but even if it looks worn through, its still in the metal.  Good stuff.  

+1
My 226 is Nitron.  Wishing I could have gotten my 220 in Nitron as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Nitron is actually a commercial finish used also for machine and auto parts.

It's self lubricating against other metals , and is much harder than Bluing.

Sig pistols have STAINLESS slides coated with Nitron , so Corrosion should be almost nill.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top